Why become a member? ×

Are there too many Fenders?

4 Strings

Now, back in the day you could buy Fender basses in Precision or Jazz flavours (or should that be flavors) with a few different finishes for toppings and maybe even maple syrup, I mean neck.

Just been to my local Pre-Menstrual chain shop and find more models than I can even think up. There's Jazzes with P pickups, Ps with Jazz pickups, others with one of each, passive, active, more frets and so it went on (without straying to an even more dizzying selection of Squiers). Mercifully they all looked brand new.

Am I getting old or is some of the magic - whatever that is - being lost?

I'm not sure I'd say there's "too many", but I would say that the whole product range is really confusing. I find it really hard to work out what options are available and which aren't.

Whilst we're here---does anyone know if there are any squier p-basses that come with ashtray and pickup cover as standard?

the choice of instruments i think is good.. they seem to cater for most pickup choices (bar a H model) etc.. the only trouble with Fender is the choice in exciting cheaper models, that the Japanese do so well...

would like to see this as a cheaper model.. Geddy's red flame maple Jazz.. but this is a custom shop bass, so i guess they dont want to take too much away from there custom shop division..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1317918621' post='1396277']
i wonder why there is no humbucker jazz..?
[/quote]

The new Modern Player series Jazz is twin humbucker.

And (pedantically :) ) the Noiseless Jazz pick ups are humbuckers.

There are only two models of Fender that I would buy but aren;t made

The Coronado and the Bass V (no I'm not buying the one on the Ebay thread)

Possibly a pointless 5 string but I like it and always have done and would buy one if they made it again. The coronado is just so different from anything else Fender does and looks so cool. Especially all the unusual finishes they used to do like the stripy one that was on sale here a couple of years ago and others that I can't remember.

I don't do Jazz or fretless anymore but they don't do a maple fretless Jazz with binding. now there was an attractive bass. Bring back the Elite II as well. Double P pickups. Ooooooooooooh Matron

I must be getting old then! I suppose it also means that there are less of each slight variation made so in the future there'll be more interest for the collector/obsessor.

Thinking a little deeper, while I certainly do not believe Fenders to be the be-all and end-all of basses (despite their almost total dominance in my household!) I do believe the original formula cooked up by Leo for both basses was a triumph of compromise between function (the playability and sound) and easy production which was genius and I wonder that these hybrids water down the brilliance of the original design. Or is it development? I wonder how many others will gravitate to a Standard after flirting with the variations?

Fender are a funny outfit IMO.
My new RW Jazz quite simply shoves the whole mix and matched lot of fours at least into a cocked hat. I think these basses are Fenders dirty... (literally, scuffs dings etc lol).... secret, and I reckon if they built them as NOS they would outsell all other variants. My example is thinner, lighter, more resonant than any other Fender I have ever played, and that includes my own 71 P which up until now wasnt that bad at all.
It sure is a funny way to sell guitars. Build a line which is superbly built and set up, beat it up and then sell it knowing most buyers wont buy into the relicing crap even though it will mechanically and sonically outshine all other models...very strange indeed.

Edited by notable9