Why become a member? ×

Warwicks Vs Spectors

Gust0o

My Spector Legend 4 was my first non-very-low-budget bass and has been gigged for about 5-6 years now. I've just acquired a Warwick Corvette Std (from c. 2009, Bubinga body, Ovangkol neck, made in Germany) strung with flats (from a Basschat member). This is a beautiful bass and the neck is definitely slimmer than the Spector.

Which do I prefer? Very hard to say. As they both sound different I tend to alternate - sorry a complete cop out there!

Edited by ead

I bought my JD Thumb in 1987 for £900 (I think my somewhat battered 70s Precision had cost me £125 a year earlier). It was a huge amount of money but once I played that neck, I was hooked. I still haven't encountered a better (to my hands) 4-string neck. The later Thumbs I wouldn't bother with (haven't tried the most recent slimmed down ones yet though, but £2650 for a 5-string that is rather more mass-produced than my old Thumb seems rather costly) - I did buy a 2000 Thumb but had it defretted and the neck reprofiled to the same dimensions as the JD Thumb. I wouldn't say the early Thumb neck was either C or D, it's (|.

I've played quite a few Spectors and would like to get on with them because it seems to me you can get some bargains, but I just don't like that thick neck. And the most important thing about a bass to me is the neck.

For what it's worth I recently entered the world of 20 year old Warwicks and, after undoing 20 years of neglect, I have to say I'm completely smitten with my old SS1 Streamer, they're a serious step above the more recent offerings, in my opinion. I think, at some point, I will be hunting for a similar era Thumb.

That is all :)

• 5 years later...

...I'm resurrecting this ancient thread as I've just been offered a Spector Euro 5LX as an alternative to the Warwick Streamer S1 I'm on the look out for.

There's one at DV247 which I should go check out, which seems to be competitively priced for a new Spector.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/spector-euro5lx-bass-guitar-black-cherry--80045?gclid=CjwKEAjw6e_IBRDvorfv2Ku79jMSJAAuiv9Y52PBwaE1_yRt-BkJHJTWXNQqdi-jI_iT_YHwolk0AhoCB03w_wcB

I found the Warwick SS1 to be very playable and comfortable as a 5 string. Two things I've immediately noted about the Spector is that it is 35" scale with a 47mm nut vs 34" and 45mm for the Warwick. I suspect that is going to have a fair bit of an impact on how comfortable the thing is going to be to play?

I'd also be very interested in folks' views as to whether these really still are substitutes for each other?

I have had several Spectors and Warwicks over the years. Warwick vs Spector will always divide opinion.

To me the Spector wins due to a better B string and I prefer the EQ. Dependent on the year Warwick may have the upper hand re neck profile. I found the later Wick necks to have quite a flat D profile which I liked, the Spectors are a little more chunky. However, early Wicks were quite chunky probably a little more chunky than Spector necks.

Are they substitutes? To me not really. Yes, Warwick basically copied the NS design for their Streamer model, but they use different construction and different electronics and for me are different enough to be classed a non-copy. Spectors are cleaner, more bass heavy. Wicks a little more growly. Both cut through a mix well enough and are definitely modern sounding.

I would take a Spector Euro over a modern (so the last few years or non-German) Wick, but that is taste.

Good luck!

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1495012755' post='3300363']
I have had several Spectors and Warwicks over the years. Warwick vs Spector will always divide opinion. To me the Spector wins due to a better B string and I prefer the EQ...

Are they substitutes? To me not really. Yes, Warwick basically copied the NS design for their Streamer model, but they use different construction and different electronics and for me are different enough to be classed a non-copy. Spectors are cleaner, more bass heavy. Wicks a little more growly. Both cut through a mix well enough and are definitely modern sounding. [/quote]

What an excellent, succinct, comparison. Thank you!

On the Streamer thread, there has been the really helpful suggestion to consider swapping in the Aguilar OBP 3 pre-amp to provide a top notch EQ and I have to confess to really liking that Warwick growl... :)

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1495013057' post='3300370']

What an excellent, succinct, comparison. Thank you!

On the Streamer thread, there has been the really helpful suggestion to consider swapping in the Aguilar OBP 3 pre-amp to provide a top notch EQ and I have to confess to really liking that Warwick growl... :)
[/quote]

My Euro 4 growled 10x harder than my Streamer Lx4 did. It was almost too much!

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1495011722' post='3300352']

There's one at DV247 which I should go check out, which seems to be competitively priced for a new Spector.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/spector-euro5lx-bass-guitar-black-cherry--80045?gclid=CjwKEAjw6e_IBRDvorfv2Ku79jMSJAAuiv9Y52PBwaE1_yRt-BkJHJTWXNQqdi-jI_iT_YHwolk0AhoCB03w_wcB

[/quote]

This is very good price for a new Spector. This one is one of the later models and in my experience the neck of these are thinner than earlier euros. Not Ibanez like paperthin neck but still not chunky at all. You should definitely try it out.The B string sounds really killer on these models. Also this one have the splitable dual coil EMG TW pickups which I prefer to their DC models.

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1495026636' post='3300580']

My Euro 4 growled 10x harder than my Streamer Lx4 did. It was almost too much!
[/quote]

Could well be, woods/build will all slightly differ between basses. As said in any case both cut through a band mix easily enough.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1495011722' post='3300352']

I found the Warwick SS1 to be very playable and comfortable as a 5 string. Two things I've immediately noted about the Spector is that it is 35" scale with a 47mm nut vs 34" and 45mm for the Warwick. I suspect that is going to have a fair bit of an impact on how comfortable the thing is going to be to play?

I'd also be very interested in folks' views as to whether these really still are substitutes for each other?
[/quote]

There's a risk here that I might not be helpful. But that red looks gross. (IMHO)
I'd want that for 50% discount at least. :)

Actually I'd go for this and use the 30 days to see if I like it.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/spector-euro5-lx-nsg-bass-guitar-natural-stain-gloss--240203

PS. Let me know when it arrives and i can bring the Warwicks round again for a direct compare. :)

Edited by Grangur

To be fair, I suspect that the photo may not be representative of it's true colour. Both ChazzJEUK and I have similar basses which are much darker than the pic and would be more representative of what you're likely to get.

If you haven't had the opportunity to try a Euro LX5 I'm happy for you to pop round and try mine over the weekend if you're able to get to Hatfield (trains from KingsX/ Finsbury Park).

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1495041104' post='3300809']
There's a risk here that I might not be helpful. But that red looks gross. (IMHO)
I'd want that for 50% discount at least. :)

Actually I'd go for this and use the 30 days to see if I like it.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/spector-euro5-lx-nsg-bass-guitar-natural-stain-gloss--240203"]http://www.dv247.com...n-gloss--240203[/url]

PS. Let me know when it arrives and i can bring the Warwicks round again for a direct compare. :)
[/quote]

Nah! If it's down to pure sex appeal black is the new black. This would be the one for me:

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/spector-euro-5-lx-alex-webster-5-string-bass-guitar-black-gloss--231389

How about we arrange instead to have a trip to DV247 and we can put them head to head? Actually that's not going to be an option, as they will need to order in. But they [i]do have [/i]the red / black in stock so we could head over and put that head to head with your SS1. It's not going to be quite as good as the Alex Webster signature version, but won't be far off I'm guessing?

Even better - just seen the Greek's post. We could all three meet up there? I'll bring the chocolate cake and my Markbass amp for transparency and you bring your SS1? :)