Why become a member? ×

Warwicks Vs Spectors

Gust0o

Guys, bizarre question - I've played a few Spectors, and am a happy owner of one. I've been offered a Warwick in a trade. Visually they look similar, but where do the similarities end?

Would like to hear more about the neck - width and feel, and string spacing.

I'll admit I'm curious.

That really is a question we could go on about for days!

Visually, the NS and Streamer basses are similar ebcause the design was made by Ned Steinberger in the late 70's and licensed to both companies. I don't want to generalise about the basses and do them a disservice, so I will try to be quite acute in my answer.

Easy stuff first then, the necks! Older Warwicks have fairly slim necks. These are the ones from the late 80's and the early 90's. The bolt on basses from the late 90's also have fairly slim necks. They have never been jazz bass slim, not by a long shot, but they turned for the worse around the time of the millenium when many bolt on Warwick basses came with necks that were shaped like the fat end of a baseball bat. Warwick also stopped using wenge necks on most basses too, and this once standard item became a big money custom shop job. A wenge neck is generally considered a preferrable item on a Warwick, not least because it tends to denote a slimmer neck. The profile went from a smooth 'C' to a fat 'D', which I didn't like at all. I used to own a Warwick Thumb with the old C shaped neck which was amazing. I couldn't quote the string spacing off the top of my head, though the Warwick 6 string necks have usually felt far wider and chunkier than the Spectors. Some Warwicks came with a 'broad neck' option which I think was 20mm string spacing, which made for some monstrous 6 strings.

Soundwise, the Spectors tend to be brighter, more vibrant sounding and more harmonically rich. This can perhaps be attributed to their pickups and preamps. Some older Spectors came with Hazlab preamps, of Victor Wooten fame. Many others use EMG preamps, and the Euro Series use the Tonepump preamps. The Tonepump is a subject of much discussion, as many players wanted to swap it out, believing to be a boost only preamp. This is incorrect. I had a Spector Rebop 4DLX with the Tonepump preamp and it really was joyous, that was an amazing bass.

Warwick tend to sound a little darker, and much is made of their low midrange growl. Spectors growl too, but more in the upper mid spectrum. Most Warwicks use their proprietary MEC electronics, which are certainly passable. The best Warwicks I've heard have been older Thumbs with EMG pickups, though my stock Thumb was an amazing sounding bass too! The closest thing that Warwick make to a Spector is the Streamer Stage 1 (NS shape, maple body and neck, active), and they sound nothing like Spectors, so it's not just in the wood!

It depends what you're looking for. Spector are very popular in rock, but I love them for their articulate, modern sound. On the other hand, nothing else sounds like a Warwick! Just make sure you go for a proper one, like a Thumb or a Streamer. Avoid ones with ash bodies like the $$ as they don't sound particularly impressive. It's also worth noting that Warwick tend to suffer on the used market. My Thumb, which was a minter, cost me £590! They go through phases of popularity where their values may not be as low, but Spector tend to be a little more resilient on that front.

As a Spector owner I can't really disagree with what Chris has said. There are differences between the streamer body shape and the spector shape. The streamers tend to have a deeper lower cutaway and narrower top horn. The contouring around the forearm is a little different too.

I've owned both, and besides the shape, they were totally different animals really. I can't comment on the thinner Warwick necks, but mine had a far squarer profile than the Spector neck, and to be honest felt a bit clubby. The Warwick (Streamer Jazzman) didn't sound quite as modern/punchy (different pickup config though so not really a fair comparison anyway), but it had it's own character which I liked. I found the Spector (a Korean made NS20005) to be better built than the German Warwick, however, I had several issues with the tuners being loose and screws falling out, from new.

YMMV.

*Just read Chris' post, can't really argue with any of that!

Edited by Wil

I will try and comment in a non-biased way :)

I've never played a Spector but I know they have a very devoted following. They sound really good.

As for Warwick, I've owned 3.

- 1994 Fortress One - great bass, loved the PJ setup. Didn't like the all wenge neck. Neck profile was very similar to my....
- 2008 Corvette $$ 4 - quite simply the best bass I've ever owned. Love the neck (quite chunky but not "baseball bat") love the electronics, love everything about it. Very versatile. The ash body gives a wonderful tone, and makes it quite light weight as well. Prefer the ovangkol neck.
- 2006 Corvette $$ 5 custom shop - As above. Of course, adding an extra string does make the neck a bit thicker but not uncomfortably so. And it's light for a 5, at 9.5lbs. Excellent B string.

Of the ones I've owned/played, I've preferred the Warwicks ('91 Streamer Stage 1, '91 Dolphin Pro 1 and a Dolphin Pro 2 being the pick of them; all had nice necks). I don't particularly like the Spector necks which ironically feel a bit clubby to me and the sound I just find a bit "meh", but that's just my opinion and with me playing them; you may achieve entirely different results. Ergonomically the Spectors also feel a little weird to me.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1317727628' post='1393688']
I will try and comment in a non-biased way :)
[/quote]

Haha, if you would please :)

My Spector (I have an NS-2J-RA, for reference) has the biggest neck I could comfortably play for any period. I wouldn't really like to go for anything more chunky, lest I find myself rubbing deep heat into my knuckles of an evening!

Chris, that was a brilliant post. I need a bit of time to digest it, I feel.

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1317740267' post='1393958']
Dont do it!, or maybe its for you....
ive owned a couple of each didnt like the warwick necks(too chunky) in general, loved the spector
but then it depends on the model
i have neither now and am happy.
[/quote]

Jaysus!

So what's the solution, then... as I was quite partial to the Spector? Was after more of the same, ideally.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1317740937' post='1393973']

Jaysus!

So what's the solution, then... as I was quite partial to the Spector? Was after more of the same, ideally.
[/quote]

If you love Spector, stick with Spector.

If you fancy something a little different but just as awesome and feel like trying something new, go with the Warwick. I doubt you would be disappointed.

Each to his own here really, I've gotta disagree with most of what Chris said about the Warwick!

IMO their flat, 'D' profile neck is far better than the 'C' style one. Also IMO ofc, but I think the ash-bodied Corvette $$ is far from unimpressive, but the best bass Warwick make (and I'm not saying that because I've owned two of them), but I think it has the best playability, a great balance, a great raw tone and also the most tonally versatile bass I have ever come across.

Spectors seem fairly popular in R'n'B and modern soul, a very smooth tone but really great sounding mid to high end - the kind of guys I see playing them tend to have 5ers with high C's (in my experience).

Having both a Euro LX and an SS1, I've got to say that I prefer the Euro. I'm not really sure why? I mean the SS1 looks lovely, has adjustable string spacing, an adjustable nut (in fact just about everything is adjustable one way or another), 3 band EQ, etc and the Euro by comparison has a solid one-piece bridge, plastic knobs and is bright orange but is my prefered bass every time. To me it just sounds right - it's probably not quite as dynamically responsive as the SS1, by that I mean it has an almost compressed quality to its sound, but I actually quite like that - again it just sounds "right" for the type of music I play.

I have owned a Spector NS4 and NS5, and I own a Warwick Thumb NT. All three are great basses, the spector basses had slightly wider necks and the e.q. had more 'thimp' to it. However, I still own the Thumb which is my main gigging bass so I guess that says something

Edited by alanbass1

Chris basically nailed it.
I'd go as far as to say that unless it's an original 80's/very early 90's Warwick with EMGs & slim Wenge neck then it's not even worth thinking about!
To my mind those old Warwicks were the only ones that EVER came close to a proper Spector... probably because they were B+ clones! Lol! :)

I own a 92 Warwick Fortress 4 (from new) and a Warwick Streamer bolt on 5 string (early 90's before they changed the name to LX) and this year was lucky enough to get my hands on a USA Spector NS5 XL.
I wouldn't buy any Warwick built after about 95 as all that I have tried out just dont come anywhere near the quality/playability/Sound of the pre mid 90's models, sold out and gone all mass production in my opinion!! I love the Spector BUT it has a John East pre amp fitted so not standard sound...just awesome! It does however ............ and this pains me because its lovely loose out to the old Warwick Streamer 5 with regards to feel and playability....I know I know. The wenge neck is so much faster and smoother to play, it gives the Warwick a real woody growl and is quite considerably thinner!!

Having said that the Spector is my main gigging bass now :-)

Just to set the record completly straight ;-)

The Streamer models are similar to [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spector"]Stuart Spector[/url] NS basses in terms of body shape, original one piece bridge (now a two piece) and headstock design, which caused a legal conflict when the Streamer was first introduced. Spector eventually sued Warwick for copying the body shape, but the jury decided not to fine Warwick[sup][[i][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/url][/i]][/sup]
It was well documented that the first versions of the Streamer were exact copies of the NS-Bass™. The SPECTOR® NS-Bass™ was designed by Ned Steinberger for Stuart Spector in 1977; 5-years before Warwick was formed.
At the annual NAMM Show in 1985 Stuart Spector became aware that a new German-based company was producing exact copies of his now famous SPECTOR® NS-Bass™. Spector, along with Ned Steinberger, confronted Hans Wilfer and he agreed to pay a licensing fee to both SPECTOR® Guitars and Ned Steinberger in return for being able to continue to produce the Streamer without legal action.[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streamer_Bass#cite_note-1"][2][/url][/sup]
Shortly after this agreement was reached, SPECTOR® sold to Kramer Guitars. The new owners had no interest in pursuing Warwick to enforce the licensing agreement and Warwick continued to make the Streamer without any consequence. It is also noted from several sources that Warwick never paid any of the agreed fees.
In 1990 Kramer became insolvent and filed for bankruptcy. In the wake of their financial failure Stuart Spector formed Stuart Spector Design, LTD. in 1993. In 1997 after a lengthy court battle, Stuart Spector bought back the trademark and copyrights to SPECTOR® and threatened to sue Warwick to enforce the 1985 license agreement.[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streamer_Bass#cite_note-2"][3][/url][/sup]
Facing new legal action from SPECTOR®, Warwick changed many design elements of the Streamer body to make it less like the NS-Bass™. The pending litgation was eventually dropped because the new Streamer design was no longer an exact copy of the NS-Bass™

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1317841427' post='1395340']
IMO their flat, 'D' profile neck is far better than the 'C' style one.
[/quote]

This 'D' profile might be great for you, or anyone else who prefers a big fat neck. If you've never tried one, go and find the nearest metal lamp-post. Grab the post just above the base where it thins out. Now go for a 'fretting' motion with your hand, imagining you were fretting the strings of a neck. The 'hand wrapped around a lamp-post' should give you a fairly accurate idea of what a Warwick 'D' profile is like. I recall on Talkbass, a lot of people didn't like Warwick because of 'the clubby neck'. Clearly, they were referring to the new necks as the old 'C' shape was nothing like clubby! In total, it's one of the worst necks I've ever played on a production bass, and I am a big Warwick fan!

In spite of their dubious moral practices! I don't mind this so much because the two companies have gone their seperate ways. Warwick are more of a mass produced, high quality product. Spector these days are more of a small production, high quality product. Spector have produced some cheaper basses, but I am glad Stuart Spector is back heading his company. I feel there is a much more personal connection between Spector basses and their brand values and luthiers. Warwick are a bit corporate and faceless but still make good basses.