Why become a member? ×

NOT GREAT NEW BASS DAY - EBMM Ray HH Matching Headstock

Musicman20

12 pages indeed! As others have also said, I can't say I'm impressed with S&T, and even EB, in how this has all panned out so far. Not that I'm about to ditch all things MM because of it. I just hope this is resolved for the better for Gareth as soon as possible.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1318764380' post='1405849']
Yeah, they are nice, but the differences for me are minimal...and I really like my mids. the 2EQ has a great warmth to it, which Id like, but im not sure Im after the Classic slab-body, extra weight, and metal battery compartment. I like the easier modern variations so it would have to be a new modern 2EQ for me.
[/quote]

Nowt wrong with a standard modern 2 EQ at all (If its built right obviously :) ) Id only want a classic 5 if I was buying at the moment, I did concider ordering one next year but looking at this I may aswell try and track an existing one down so I can inspect it for myself first :) The Classics are not heavy either Gareth from the ones I have seen/played but the battery box is an arse and unless you get used to the slab its a bit of a pain too ,wont stop me though :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1318767690' post='1405909']

From my POV..where is the trust in all this..?? it might not be stretching it to imply the OP has been taken for a mug-punter..albeit, G was onto it and didn't fall for it...but any company
that condones this sort of practise wouldn't be getting my money any time pretty soon
[/quote]

I doubt they are the only ones JTUK? difference is Gareth has caught them with their trousers down just like others did with the TC amps 'Issue' If it had been executed properly there should of been no need for all the trouble. Im sure if you rang a big music retailer and asked for a sunburst P with a RW board and they had a white and RW hanging next to a burst and maple the cogs would start turning for quite a few of them :)

Yes, maybe it is not unknown elsewhere but I never buy off spec only myself... if I find something I like the look of, that is the easy part.
The next part is getting there to see it. I am not sure I'd call myself ultra picky but I need to see and play the thing otherwise it just isn't a goer.

I might buy second hand on a punt if I could knock the thing on for the same money but the only time I did that was with a Sei J5 and
QC is not going to be much of the problem there, for sure... you still have to like the little idiosyncranacities any kit may have
so even that is not a sure thing.

I certainly would never buy a mainstream production model from a catolgue and this type of episode really reaffirms the sense in this, IMO.

I hope Gareth gets this sorted to his satisfaction asap.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='sshorepunk' timestamp='1318761278' post='1405785']
Just had a good read of this, all 12 pages!

I've owned several 'rays, currently have two (been playing one all morning :-)
Great basses, like has been said, when they are right, they are right!
Hope this hets sorted, the classic ray seems like a good option if it comes off

A few years back I got hold of a 5 string 'ray. White with matching headstock, maple neck, HH with white covers, looked very, white!
I found out shortly after, that at the time, this bass shouldn't have existed! It was an order that was put together in the UK! I think EB frowned upon it at the time! Around the same time, a friend of mine in the music trade, told me that EB were a bit pissed with S&T's putting orders together from what they had in stock, i.e. necks, pickgaurds etc. They were insisiting that the correct spec' bass was ordered from them if they didn't have it in stock! Sounds like they are still doing that?

Hope you get sorted!
Tony
[/quote]

this....
if a company did it properly it could be a workable business model.
I guess like overwater getting tangle wood to make basses overseas and setting them up here in the uk.

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1318805933' post='1406470']
Funny thing is, people would be pretty much delighted for Fender/dealers to do just this, assuming proper quality.
[/quote]

Assuming its all put together right i dont see the problem with buying any bass thats been put together to my get the bass i order, after all, unless its a through neck aren't all basses made up of different parts?

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1318840649' post='1406595']

Assuming its all put together right i dont see the problem with buying any bass thats been put together to my get the bass i order, after all, unless its a through neck aren't all basses made up of different parts?
[/quote]

Could be quite an assumtion if the brand make a big play of assembled in U.S by craftsman etc etc ... as they don't imply any old bod with a screw driver will do.

I think a factory set-up by someone who does this properly and with the makers knowledge and authority behind it is one thing.
A distributor making it up as they go along is not my idea of a £1500 or so bass....allegedly.

No argument there, this one has been put together in the dark, that's not acceptable.

I was talking more about the principal of taking a body and neck from stock and putting them together to create a bass to the customers spec. I dont think it matters if the neck was made a year before the body, both at the same time etc, as long as the end result is a perfect working bass.

I do understand Gareth's issues though, and yes, it sounds like S&T are to blame for this one.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1318845588' post='1406672']No argument there, this one has been put together in the dark, that's not acceptable.

I was talking more about the principal of taking a body and neck from stock and putting them together to create a bass to the customers spec. I dont think it matters if the neck was made a year before the body, both at the same time etc, as long as the end result is a perfect working bass.

I do understand Gareth's issues though, and yes, it sounds like S&T are to blame for this one.[/quote]Taking your points in order...
I agree. But then you are faced with the decision of trying again with the lights on or kicking up a stink. I know which I'd opt for.

Is this bass unplayable?

Again I agree which us why I don't understand why MM are getting pilloried. Ok they've not waved their international magic wand instantly on this (although who knows what's going on behind the scenes between them and S&T) but this may come as a surprise to some, Gareth is not the only customer they have on their books right now having issues with their product.

Personally i would kick up a stink and go elsewhere. No matter how far MM bend over backwards, Gareth has waited long enough IMO and its already taken 2 weeks just to get a reply from them. This will drag on to long if MM offer to sort him out a new bass IMO, and if another bass is sent who knows what it will be like.

Personally i dont think its unplayable at all. I do think its sub par for the money and wouldn't want to keep it, so im with Gareth on that but i dont see any indication (unless i missed it) that its not working as it should.

Oh no, totally agreed, its not 'unplayable', apart from the fact the nut doesn't appear to be cut deep enough and the E string saddle is right near the bottom, and the action is really high. Its playable, and as much as it may need a SLIGHT tweak on the truss rod, (obviously I wont do this as its packed to go back) i still don't think it will ever get a lowish action. Nothing like my H 2011 Ray which plays like a dream!

The sound, from my brief test before I started investigating the issues, is great. So, thats not an issue. However, as seems to be the general consensus, when you get to certain price, the build quality has to be to a high level.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1318849339' post='1406735']
Personally i would kick up a stink and go elsewhere. No matter how far MM bend over backwards...
[/quote]
Diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes. :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1318849339' post='1406735']Personally i dont think its unplayable at all. I do think its sub par for the money ...[/quote]
I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this from a player's point of view then. [b]I agree 100% that if the customer is not happy with the product (for whatever reason) then they should by all means return it [/b]but "sub par for the money" is subjective, it function's as it should and the "problem" appears to be easily rectified... but this, it seems would not to be an option for Gareth or yourself.
£1500 is not a lot to spend on a big brand bass when you are seeking perfection. How much is a decent CS Fender these days?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1318851831' post='1406774']
Oh no, totally agreed, its not 'unplayable', apart from the fact the nut doesn't appear to be cut deep enough and the E string saddle is right near the bottom, and the action is really high. Its playable, and as much as it may need a SLIGHT tweak on the truss rod, (obviously I wont do this as its packed to go back) i still don't think it will ever get a lowish action. Nothing like my H 2011 Ray which plays like a dream!

The sound, from my brief test before I started investigating the issues, is great. So, thats not an issue. However, as seems to be the general consensus, when you get to certain price, the build quality has to be to a high level.
[/quote]
Ah I didn't know about the nut - I don't think you mentioned it to start with.
Again though, this could be sorted in a blink of an eye if you were willing... as it would have been, had it been identified professionally at source. :)

Well, IMO the fact that there are basses sold at ridiculous prices speaks nothing to the fact that at this price point you can expect a bass to be flawless. Let's face it - this still costs about the same as a month's (net) average wage in Britain, so why would you expect to have to tinker with the instrument to solve issues that should not even be there in the first place?

Edited by setekh

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1318852331' post='1406783']
Diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes. :)[/quote]

That was based on waiting for 7 months, If it was a case of send it back and receive another in a few days then i certainly wouldn't give up on it.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1318852331' post='1406783']
I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this from a player's point of view then. [b]I agree 100% that if the customer is not happy with the product (for whatever reason) then they should by all means return it [/b]but "sub par for the money" is subjective, it function's as it should and the "problem" appears to be easily rectified... but this, it seems would not to be an option for Gareth or yourself.
£1500 is not a lot to spend on a big brand bass when you are seeking perfection. How much is a decent CS Fender these days?
[/quote]

To be honest ive seen just how well made much, much cheaper basses are so i personally wouldn't spend £1500 on a bass now. I see no need to, my Squier (with large neck pocket gap now it has a smaller neck on it) is doing just fine. Im happy to put up with the poor neck pocket because this bass wasn't brought for its looks.

As some know i had 3 MIA's last year and each had poorly cut out pickup holes. Not all the same but each was worse than any bass i have owned. All were very playable and i do regret sending the last one back. I felt that spending £900 should get me something better. Its only a few pieces of wood that come of a production line but £900 is a lot of money, irrelevant of how much more i could spend.
To spend £1500 i think your right to expect perfection, and not settle for less.

We've had a few analogies so i wont bother with one here, but do feel that almost any bass (within reason) will be playable with a good set up, its the workmanship and quality of materials we pay a lot more for, and when its this area thats lacking then i think its justified to send it back if your not happy.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1318853459' post='1406824']

That was based on waiting for 7 months, If it was a case of send it back and receive another in a few days then i certainly wouldn't give up on it.

To be honest ive seen just how well made much, much cheaper basses are so i personally wouldn't spend £1500 on a bass now. I see no need to, my Squier (with large neck pocket gap now it has a smaller neck on it) is doing just fine. Im happy to put up with the poor neck pocket because this bass wasn't brought for its looks.

As some know i had 3 MIA's last year and each had poorly cut out pickup holes. Not all the same but each was worse than any bass i have owned. All were very playable and i do regret sending the last one back. I felt that spending £900 should get me something better. Its only a few pieces of wood that come of a production line but £900 is a lot of money, irrelevant of how much more i could spend.
To spend £1500 i think your right to expect perfection, and not settle for less.

We've had a few analogies so i wont bother with one here, but do feel that almost any bass (within reason) will be playable with a good set up, its the workmanship and quality of materials we pay a lot more for, and when its this area thats lacking then i think its justified to send it back if your not happy.
[/quote]
Good post.
I myself can't see the point of buying decent basses of any price anymore as whatever I see I know I can build... I miss bass GAS. :)

I remember your Fender debacle and that really was out of order but somehow I'm not seeing this on the same scale. I'm sorry.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1318854909' post='1406870']
Good post.
I myself can't see the point of buying decent basses of any price anymore as whatever I see I know I can build... I miss bass GAS. :)[/quote]

Same here, although there are a few basses i would like i dont have any GAS at the moment.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1318854909' post='1406870']
I remember your Fender debacle and that really was out of order but somehow I'm not seeing this on the same scale. I'm sorry.[/quote]

I only brought that up to show how i feel about issues, then and now. Mine was just poor CS, this goes a lot deeper.

[quote name='setekh' timestamp='1318853130' post='1406812']
Well, IMO the fact that there are basses sold at ridiculous prices speaks nothing to the fact that at this price point you can expect a bass to be flawless. Let's face it - this still costs about the same as a month's (net) average wage in Britain, so why would you expect to have to tinker with the instrument to solve issues that should not even be there in the first place?
[/quote]

Agreed but this is one bass that has been messed about with, The guy in San Louis would probably be as pissed about all this as Gareth is if he knew some one was undoing his good work. The two basses it started as may of been spot on before some numpty started tinkering! I wonder who got the other one?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1318865902' post='1407096']

Agreed but this is one bass that has been messed about with, [b]The guy in San Louis would probably be as pissed about all this as Gareth [/b]is if he knew some one was undoing his good work. The two basses it started as may of been spot on before some numpty started tinkering! I wonder who got the other one?
[/quote]
Which guy? one from the neck making team, or one from the body making team? or the neck finishing department? or the body finishing dept? or the guy who bolts necks to bodies? or the setup team?
They probably just got their pay, the bare minimum EB could get them to work for, and went home.