Why become a member? ×

Is playing bass boring??

Golchen

LOL! I know it isn't boring, but can I be a bit more specific:

I've been really trying to get my bass playing going recently. I've never actually played bass with anyone else, so I tend to 'play along' to mp3 files of stuff that I have chord sheets for. Here's the thing - I'm fine with mid-tempo or faster numbers, but when I play something really slow and simple I get so bored and usually flip to the next track instead after a bit. I was wondering if this sort of thing would be more bearable when actually playing 'live' with other people or whether I'm just not really cut out for bass??

Thoughts?

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='160524' date='Mar 19 2008, 10:17 PM']I've never actually played bass with anyone else,[/quote]

There's your problem... bass really needs to mesh in with drums etc.

The feeling of locking in with a good drummer in a real groove is like,

Sex?

As good as, anyway :)

Get together with some other musicians and it'll all be exciting again.

I find that if I play along to slow, well known stuff by myself at home, I often start to feel sleepy, and have often been found lying on my back hands still in a playing position, but fast asleep!

I have never felt sleepy when playing in a band. It's all about watching, listening to and feeling what everyone else is up to. Even the slow stuff. When you're playing with a group of (often strong minded) individuals who can all make (occasional) mistakes or go off on their own tangents, you don't necessarily know what's coming next, unlike the record you've heard a thousand times!

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='160528' date='Mar 19 2008, 10:21 PM']There's your problem... bass really needs to mesh in with drums etc.

Sex?

As good as, anyway :huh:

Get together with some other musicians and it'll all be exciting again.[/quote]
a big +1

I find bass pretty boring to play at home or on it's own, the joy of the practice is in playing with others, when you sense that you're on that groove together ... :)

Edited by gilmour

+100

to everything said above...

i found my groove with a solid drummer at the college i go to.... and thankfully my younger brother plays rhythm guitar pretty well and i do vocals.... so we got some covers going and we're all pretty tuned to each other which allows to enjoy the experience more... not really played live much but just the feeling of locking and going is fantastic....

definatly find your self a band... or form your own... must have some mates that play other instruments....

just enjoy your self thats the reason i picked up the bass not because no one else would do it because i wanted to and now after a year and a half i'm still developing basic techniques and loving playing... also if your sick of mp3 tracks get your self a music program and write your own stuff.... i'm doing that now... difficult and interesting experience....

definate eye opener...

:)

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='160651' date='Mar 20 2008, 09:39 AM']Hey thanks everyone! I kind of thought (hoped) that would be the answer to this. Dill the bassist in waiting feels back on track![/quote]

I'm with you on this, I practice along with backing tracks etc and I'm getting pretty good. Sadly with kid number 2 on the way I don't think i'll be mentioning that I want to join a band anytime soon....lol :)

What everyone else has said is bang on!

Though I don't think it stops at bass....

Many years ago, when I was nipper learning the trombone, I almost quit music completely, due to the fact that 2 years of trombone lessons and a bare pass at grade 2 had not left me in any way inspired by the musical world. Fortunately, a local music teacher bullied me into joining a brass ensemble and it wasn't long before I discovered the true joy and satisfaction of playing music. In fact, I even remember that same teacher, a few weeks into my tenure with the group, saying: "You're starting to enjoy this, aren't you."

Maybe it's the instruments I play, but I can't understand how anyone could get any satisfaction from playing at home on their own. For me the whole point of music is the communication element - nothing beats that feeling of locking in with a drummer on a phat groove or complementing a vocal line with a well timed fill.

A bit of indulgence there, but that's just my view - simple basslines can be the most satisfying thing in the world to play, if they perfectly complement an ensemble.

Backing tracks are good for practise.
And less "dull" than a metronome.

Live Drummers are where it's at! Especially the god ones that you know well/ are mates with... Party on!, and let then rest of the band dance around you, for we are the (collective) "Engine Room!"...

(Can you tell I like Drummers?) (looks for "Blush" Emoticon..)

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='160528' date='Mar 19 2008, 10:21 PM']There's your problem... bass really needs to mesh in with drums etc.

Sex?

As good as, anyway ;)

Get together with some other musicians and it'll all be exciting again.[/quote]

[quote name='gilmour' post='160586' date='Mar 20 2008, 12:41 AM']a big +1

I find bass pretty boring to play at home or on it's own, the joy of the practice is in playing with others, when you sense that you're on that groove together ... :)[/quote]

Much like the aforementioned sex then! :huh:

I agree with most of the posts in this thread, but it's all a bit 'black & white' where there are a few 'greys' to take into account.

While you're learning the basics, playing at home alone is essential and far from boring. In the early days, you can detect an audible improvement from week to week, sometimes from day to day, and that's immensely satisfying. Trying to play with others at this stage is more likely to embarrass you and destroy your confidence.

This situation is sufficiently recent for me that it's an easy thing for me to write about.

Once past the basics, playing at home is still valuable: to learn new songs, to learn new riffs/basslines to songs you already know, to experiment with your sound or your playing techniques, you know what I mean.

Boring? Only if you insist on endlessly repeating what you already know.

Dillsfretless,

Heartily agree with all the comments. Seeing you're a similar age to me then hopefully you'll have the same experience of there being loads of people coming out of the woodwork gagging to get involved in a band having become slightly less fettered by kids, jobs etc. Our problem has been turning people away!

I was still doodling around recording etc but it's nowhere as inspiring as playing with a band. Being in a band also creates the inspiration to practice and learn.

I also find that getting low key gigs is also much easier when you're all a bit older so it's all turned out to be easy and enjoyable. The biggest problem can be finding somewhere to practice together.

I'm going to have to slightly disagree,as I love playing on my own and practicing. As great and important as it is to actually play with others there is so much to be done when playing alone. I don't see any reason to get bored when playing to slower tempo backing tracks. Concentrate on things like note lengh and vibrato,or try substituting the root for other chord tones. There's no end of things you can try to keep even the slowest of tunes interesting.

[quote name='Doddy' post='160894' date='Mar 20 2008, 04:05 PM']I'm going to have to slightly disagree,as I love playing on my own and practicing. As great and important as it is to actually play with others there is so much to be done when playing alone. I don't see any reason to get bored when playing to slower tempo backing tracks. Concentrate on things like note lengh and vibrato,or try substituting the root for other chord tones. There's no end of things you can try to keep even the slowest of tunes interesting.[/quote]

I agree with the importance off all these things, they are essential for making you a better player, however I wouldn't describe it as fun or exciting, and a live setting is (usually) the ultimate goal for practicing any of these.

make your own stuff! love listening and i think its very important to do this.Sometimes i listen to my favorite players with my bass next to me and any little sexy riffs or techniqes that happen on the record ill try and copy.the main thing is dont limit yourself just let your mind open onto the fretboard! anyhow it works for me just an opinion.

Very interesting post.

A lot of good advice on here.

I have found a combination of working stuff out on my own, taking lessons and playing in a band is really helping me get the most enjoyment out of playing bass and improve my playing.

I found playing in a band invaluable experience as it's not only a case of learning tunes, but also learning people skills and how to be part of a team - it's also a great way to try out ideas you may have practised at home and see how they work in a band situation.

I also work on playing along with the band's setlist at home; to tighten up certain sections I may not be too familiar with or to practise an idea I may have for part of a song.

I found a great bass teacher who has the patience to work with me and knows how to challenge me by giving me ideas to work on which are fun, stretch my playing, improve my musical knowledge, but at the same, time break the info down into manageable pieces so is challenging but not too overwhelming for me.

One thing I found really useful which my teacher suggested, was to play along with the radio.

This is great ear training for me - there are loads of internet radio sites (I use Yahoo).

I select a style of music and spend some time playing along with the tunes.

The great thing about internet radio is:

1. The clarity of sound.
2. You can pause the track.
3. No interuptions from the DJ mid track playing their jingles.

I play along with the song and try to get as much of the bassline as I can.

Sometimes, I only get a few notes, sometimes most of the bass part.

I feel like it's a bit like casting out a net and seeing what you catch, but instead of fish (bass? :) ) it's notes.

Anyway, what I can cop, I cop and what I can't, I try not to get too hung up about it and move onto the next tune.

I know I have rambled on a bit (you should see one of my LONG replies :huh: