Why become a member? ×

More new Fender models - The 'Modern Player' Series

wateroftyne

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1317653401' post='1392762']

Yep. A P or Jazz body, with one P pickup is good enough for me.

I realise some people want something different, im not knocking that, but you can have pretty much anything you want already, yet still most people go for the tried and tested.

I do agree, its more about economics rather than innovation but im guessing Fender haven't stayed in the business this long without knowing what they are doing, or doing market research to find out what people want.
Could be wrong of course.
[/quote]

I think they discovered that people want Squiers, so ... I'm betting these new models are no better (or worse) than Squiers--and I love mine--but there will be 'Fender' on the headstock, which in itself is a draw.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1318244743' post='1399546']
Looks great - how's the tone vs. a 'standard' J?
[/quote]
To my ears tonewise it's like a "standard" Jazz , but it's "bigger"
It's a bit smoother, a bit rounder, but is capable of a bit more edge and bite when you wind the tone up or solo the pick-ups.

Sorry for being so vague. As soon as I played it, I knew it was exactly what I was looking for.

Edited by TransistorBassMan

[quote name='kensol' timestamp='1318410760' post='1401655']
Would you say it's worth the extra money over a Squier Vintage Modified 70's jazz? The difference is about £70 in Norway.
[/quote]

It's all a matter of personal opinion. I considered the Squier, but I really wanted a Jazz width neck and twin humbuckers. I'm happy with the build quality and was happy to pay the extra.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1317653416' post='1392764']
Truth is, they don't need to.
[/quote]

Have to agree. But it's not about old and new, it's about feel and user-bility. Here's a story: I was starting to get a little bored with my P Bass, and long story short ended up buying a TBird, which I love to bits. Over the past few months I have been badgering a luthier to build me a one-off to my own spec. But every time I sit down to design something, it keeps coming out like a P bass, and the harder I try, it just looks like a P bass that I've done something silly too. It's like Mr Fender hit on something that looks good and feels right, and everything else seems like a derivative of that. Anyway, in the mean-time I've been building a P bass with bits I've got off eBay... got a body for £27! Proper Fender too, just covered in Holts touch-up. Finally got all the crap off today, and built her up prior to having the body finished. And it was like coming home. Everything felt so right and in proportion, and all so brand new. I know everyone's got their own thing, and long live it all. I love the look of Wals and ACG's, but Leo pretty much invented the wheel with the P, and if it aint bust, don't fix it. For my money, I think Fender should be doing less rather than more. Swim the pool, don't race the fellow next to you.

• 1 month later...

Was sceptical about yet another series of odd instruments from Fender (I wholeheartedly agree they make far too much now) but picked up the Jaguar bass from this series yesterday and it's really, really good.

As others have said they're Chinese and bare more than a passing resemblance to the excellent Squier Classic Vibe series. Similar (maybe even a slightly better) standard of finishing, same gloss neck tint and the fairly chunky bridge they use on the CVs.

The neck profile is great and the P/J pickups are more than adequate. The Jazz and Tele basses are a bit more expensive, but this was around the same price as the Squier CV's with the added kudos of the Fender brand and offering the P/J pickup option. Also at half the price of the MIJ Jag and with very little in it between the two, a really superb guitar for the money.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1317386241' post='1390180']
At below £400, I can't see them being Mexican. The blacktop stuff is cheap, this is even cheaper and bordering on Squier VM/CV series prices. They're also bringing back the 'original' japanese made jaguar bass (around £800), so it'd be interesting to see how this one compares to that at half the price...
[/quote]

It seems Fender are messing about with the logos. These are [b]'Made in China'[/b] just like the SQUIER Classic Vibe range ! I guess it is a marketing ploy to get the impression that you are getting maybe a higher quality instrument for more money. So maybe they are of Classic Vibe quality, but having the big 'F' logo, they can charge an extra £100 ? Don't get me wrong, I love the CV range, & have three of them already, but at around £300 each, whereas the RRP price for these 'Modern Players' is £526. Check out the reviews in 'Guitarist' mag for Jan 2012.

Tony.

What a shame, I tried the Tele bass in a shop a couple of weeks back. Now I like an old school sound but it sounded like I had stuffed a bunch of cotton wool in my ears, regardless of pickup selection and tone control wide open. Admittedly I wasn't playing through the greatest of amps, but even artificially cranking up the treble on the amp couldn't lift any high overtones out of the mud, even on the bridge pickup. That's too old school for me!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1323858685' post='1467768']
What a shame, I tried the Tele bass in a shop a couple of weeks back. Now I like an old school sound but it sounded like I had stuffed a bunch of cotton wool in my ears, regardless of pickup selection and tone control wide open. Admittedly I wasn't playing through the greatest of amps, but even artificially cranking up the treble on the amp couldn't lift any high overtones out of the mud, even on the bridge pickup. That's too old school for me!
[/quote]

thats a real shame to hear that Matt. I have been looking at one of these and was hoping to hear some good news. I will keep an eye out to have a shot though as the body and lovely big humbuckers just look amazing.

[quote name='Davout' timestamp='1323853470' post='1467681']
It seems Fender are messing about with the logos. These are [b]'Made in China'[/b] just like the SQUIER Classic Vibe range ! I guess it is a marketing ploy to get the impression that you are getting maybe a higher quality instrument for more money. So maybe they are of Classic Vibe quality, but having the big 'F' logo, they can charge an extra £100 ? Don't get me wrong, I love the CV range, & have three of them already, but at around £300 each, whereas the RRP price for these 'Modern Players' is £526. Check out the reviews in 'Guitarist' mag for Jan 2012.

Tony.
[/quote]

My modern player jag bass was £369, the CV Jazz was £349.