Why become a member? ×

Put down a deposit on a Wishbass

Mr. Foxen

I remember that video of Wishnevski playing one of his basses in a backyard blues jam with a guitarist. I'd get the video off YouTube if I wasn't using my iPhone. It was hilarious, the playing from both musicians was so ponderous and awful. It was ridiculed on talkbass before they outlawed the criticism of anyone who uses the site.

Some typical wishbass noises with untypical wishbass playing.

I know the vid you mean, but I can't find it, in front of what appears to be a barn full of junk and short shorts, with risk of further 'junk'. Used to be on [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/wishwig"]Wishnevsky's youtube channel.[/url]

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1315072482' post='1361185']I remember that video of Wishnevski playing one of his basses in a backyard blues jam with a guitarist. I'd get the video off YouTube if I wasn't using my iPhone. It was hilarious, the playing from both musicians was so ponderous and awful. It was ridiculed on talkbass before they outlawed the criticism of anyone who uses the site.[/quote]

That video is comedy gold.

Yes mate...but I've got soo many sessions/rehersals/gigs to do every day, every week, for the forseable future it could be difficult........but really yes, that could work fine. As long as I don't have to look at it...or inspect it, or anything like that. Signed for unopened...I don't want any of that pointy knot-ridden bark of doom stuff anywhere near my nice innocent truss-rodded Jazz basses and Cliftons. They're all so nice.

Go on, tell me the bark was an extra charge item.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1317156531' post='1387538']
Yes mate...but I've got soo many sessions/rehersals/gigs to do every day, every week, for the forseable future it could be difficult........but really yes, that could work fine. As long as I don't have to look at it...or inspect it, or anything like that. Signed for unopened...I don't want any of that pointy knot-ridden bark of doom stuff anywhere near my nice innocent truss-rodded Jazz basses and Cliftons. They're all so nice.

Go on, tell me the bark was an extra charge item.
[/quote]

Give us a shout, when its delivered Duncan, I'll pop round. We can have a bonfire in your backgarden! :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1317157329' post='1387548']
That was actually a joke. I don't really know why you disapprove of them so much.
[/quote]

Phew :) ....its not disapproval, just pure fear. When I first heard of them it was a sort of morbid rubber-neck curiosity, but now I've seen a bunch of photos and the odd YouTube moment...I'm just scared I might like them in the end. I can "get" the Carl Thompson thing, and the Birdsong thing....but, so far, not the Wish thing, even accounting for the prices. Its just too folksy-hippy-can'tbearsedtoitright-whoneedsatrussrodanyway-dangnabbit. Where's my banjo. If that makes any sense.

I should probably just get some sleep.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1314786028' post='1357308']
The pretty much reflect what you put into them, both in finish and sound.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Fretless-4-String-Aromatic-Cedar-Scarab-Wishbass-/130567955786?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e6674e54a"]This one is on ebay for the impatient.[/url]
[/quote]

"The nut is 1 7/8 inches wide" :)
I'd heard they had chunky necks because of the lack of truss rod, but my god... this is 1/4" wider than the neck on my [i]5-string [/i]Status...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1314786028' post='1357308']
The pretty much reflect what you put into them, both in finish and sound.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Fretless-4-String-Aromatic-Cedar-Scarab-Wishbass-/130567955786?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e6674e54a"]This one is on ebay for the impatient.[/url]
[/quote]

Now that is a beautiful piece of timber!!!