Why become a member? ×

Put down a deposit on a Wishbass

Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1317464484' post='1390918']
I hate doing this.

But I think it looks "Amateur" . The afore mentioned bridge pieces. But Something about the edge of the Fretboard doesn't look right. As if it's not straight on the 'E' side it looks like the string is off the fret board then comes back in around the 5th fret and then tons of room on the 'G' side.

I really hope it's just a bad photograph making my eyes go funny though.

The body and woods I actually like. I didn't think I would but I do :)
[/quote]

I think it's the picture composition. The bass is leaning away from the camera, and at an angle. The window frame is straight and vertical behind, along with the shadow make the neck look a bit curved.

I'm very impressed Oli, hats off to ya. I'd never come across these before you posted. Believe it or not I used to see posts of the word 'Wishbass' and thought folk were just talking about their ideal wish-bass! Durr! I'm looking at singlecuts, maybe fretless, and have been checking out ACG's, but you've expanded things a little. Although I once finished a bass and it took me f**cking ages! Never again!

Cant wait to see her finished... and love the shape, very brave!.. Keep on posting!

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1317464484' post='1390918']
I hate doing this.

But I think it looks "Amateur" . The afore mentioned bridge pieces. But Something about the edge of the Fretboard doesn't look right. As if it's not straight on the 'E' side it looks like the string is off the fret board then comes back in around the 5th fret and then tons of room on the 'G' side.

I really hope it's just a bad photograph making my eyes go funny though.

The body and woods I actually like. I didn't think I would but I do
[/quote]

They are a bit amateur, that's the idea i think. To get a boutique level instrument you have to put a lot of work in yourself and i don't think anyone buys them without taking this into consideration.
Some of them look amazing after some serious end-user work, some just look like unfinished planks. I guess you get out what you put in and this is reflected in the price.

Part of me quite likes the haphazard shaping and refusal to stick to regimented ideas, part of me recoils in horror at the construction quirks!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1317468100' post='1390974']
Make the neck right and not bendy and you don't need a truss rod to correct it. Truss rods are for mass production where you can't watch your materials. See first post though, it is an optional. Double basses and classical guitars don't have truss rods.
[/quote]

I thought it was to do with the tension across modern electric strings as opposed to acoustic classical ones. Say if there is movement in the neck (humidity changes, etc.) would it just be a case of nut and bridge adjustment?

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1317469806' post='1391005'] I thought it was to do with the tension across modern electric strings as opposed to acoustic classical ones. Say if there is movement in the neck (humidity changes, etc.) would it just be a case of nut and bridge adjustment?[/quote]

The necks basically don't move. It is big, and laminated various woods. Purpleheart is ridiculously hard and stiff. The neck is like an oversized classical neck or DB neck. The tension on a DB is massive. It isn't a neck for people who like tiny necks. My previous one never shifted much, had that for a few years. Even in the really damp House of Bass.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1315072482' post='1361185']
I remember that video of Wishnevski playing one of his basses in a backyard blues jam with a guitarist. I'd get the video off YouTube if I wasn't using my iPhone. It was hilarious, the playing from both musicians was so ponderous and awful. It was ridiculed on talkbass before they outlawed the criticism of anyone who uses the site.
[/quote]

sadly that video was deleted months ago. It used to be in my youtube favourites!

• 2 weeks later...

It has arrived in the UK, but is being held to ransom by Parsel Force, who have paid themselves an admin fee to do so, and are refusing to invoice me for their admin. Story can be found in this thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/157785-you-import-vatparcelforce/page__view__findpost__p__1404938

It got here faster than expected, so I have a bit of time that I'll use to try and defend the rights of us all. When someone buys you a pint, you wouldn't stand for the barman levying an admin fee to you for the tax paid on the beer between pouring it and handing it to you.

I had this issue when I got a guitar from the states off eBay. They told me that they had paid the taxes already on my behalf to customs and excise, and the admin fee was for doing this. I said I'd never asked them to do this, which they said I was welcome to travel to Coventry and pay customs directly myself, thus avoiding the admin fee. When I said I've paid for delivery to my door, they said I had only paid for delivery into the UK, and it was down to them if they then carried it onwards to my address. Just felt mugged. Rip-off Britain.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1318688832' post='1405243']I had this issue when I got a guitar from the states off eBay. They told me that they had paid the taxes already on my behalf to customs and excise, and the admin fee was for doing this. I said I'd never asked them to do this, which they said I was welcome to travel to Coventry and pay customs directly myself, thus avoiding the admin fee. When I said I've paid for delivery to my door, they said I had only paid for delivery into the UK, and it was down to them if they then carried it onwards to my address. Just felt mugged. Rip-off Britain.[/quote]

Did you pay them for delivery to your door? Or did the seller pay another courier to deliver it to your door? Important contractual difference they'll pull if they lose or destroy it. In this case, I'll cheerfully pay for it, if they invoice me for it, because I have no contractual obligation with them currently.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1318688998' post='1405245']

Did you pay them for delivery to your door? Or did the seller pay another courier to deliver it to your door? Important contractual difference they'll pull if they lose or destroy it. In this case, I'll cheerfully pay for it, if they invoice me for it, because I have no contractual obligation with them currently.
[/quote]

As far as I was concerned I had paid the shipping on top of the purchase price, and the seller thought as much as me, that it would arrive at my address. Maybe I wasn't clear, when I paid the admin charge they sent it on its way with no additional postage. But if I had gone up to Customs and excise direct and paid them, parcel force would have not touched it again. Although there is no method of paying the VAT over the phone to customs, which is what customs want, so parcel force do it all and sting you £8. The amount is such you end up thinking 'I can't be bothered with this', so you just end up paying to get it over with, and parcel force know this. Call me dumb, but I thought paying for something that you had not asked for, or entered into a contractual agreement for, was extortion. And the bit where they said pay the admin fee or it stays here, was blackmail. But don't get me started, when I renewed my car insurance I discovered that Broker makes a commission from the policy, and then charges an admin fee too! But, the insurer will only deal thru Brokers. Just a f**king racket..... Anyway, I digress. I hope you get this sorted soon, really looking forward to seeing the new acquisition in all her glory.

The £8 isn't a big deal compared to the 85 or so in actual tax. But I stand up to this sort of BS. I've asked for an invoice because that is how you pay a company to provide you a service. Then once they charge the admin fee, I can ask them to do some administration, since they are my paid administrator and sort out some other stuff with customs regarding this bass, like refunding the import duty on the value to the hardware I sent to Wishnevsky.

He would have to declare a value on the paper work with whoever he sent it with in the States. I'm surprised parcel farce have not given you a break-down. The letter I got from them showed Import Duty, VAT and admin. You are allowed to challenge Customs on the VAT, but when you ring, the first thing they ask is 'what did you pay?'. I had paid £700, but they told me they had calculated the VAT on £300, and the seller had declared £400. So it was difficult for me to argue that the £700 guitar I'd bought was now worth less than £300. I tried to argue the toss that the guitar was old and second hand, but their reasoning was the VAT had never been paid in the UK (as we don't have reciprocal sales tax with the US) regardless of age. Although, as I recall there is a route for proper vintage instruments being VAT free, but it's for really old stuff. When I spoke to Customs, I figured I'd not done too badly, it was just the parcel force admin did my nut. As I recall, I paid £90 all in. Sometimes it makes no sense tho. I bought a Hipshot Supertone bridge for my TBird from eBay, I'd asked the seller to mark it as a gift, and snottily he refused! 'We are a business!' was his email, but it turned up on my doorstep with no garnishing. I think they sit in the warehouse picking on large packages.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1319024704' post='1408961']
Well, just called the depot, and they decided to not put it in a van today.
[/quote]

You've been blacklisted! That bass has probably been kicked around the depot, thrown into corners and been buried under heavy sh*t, for the last few days.
:)

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1319039436' post='1409224']A [i]wishbass[/i], huh? So, have I got this right - two of you grab hold and pull till it snaps, and the one holding the biggest bit wins? :)[/quote]

If you think you can snap laminated maple and purpleheart as thick as my arm.

I know this is a late reply but I've known people refuse to pay for the handling fee straight away but paid for just the tax as then they can't legally withhold post from you. Stating that they wanted to be invoiced for their fee afterwards, this invoice has a tendency to never arrive if you do it this way too. Whether it's worth the argument is another thing entirely.