Why become a member? ×

Saw Jack Bruce the other night

tayste_2000

Got invited by a friend to the Great British Rhythm and Blues Festival on Friday to see Jack Bruce and the Norman Beaker band. Oddly enough Norman lives in the same town as me and someone was just recommending to me a few days earlier that I go check him out.

Now Jack Bruce is one of my bass heroes I love his style his tone etc etc, so I got to the gig and got to the front right under Jack's nose.

I was just blown away, having coming away from the gig and checking out other live performances I'd say his voice is better than it's ever been, his playing was stunning but a bit sparse, very lead bass esq with the organist filling out a lot of the band sound.

His gear was what you'd expect, 2 Hartke XL 4x10 and 1x15 stacks with a HA3500 on one and a HA5500 on the other, sm57 on one of the 10's and then I'm told 2 di boxes. He used his fretless Jack Bruce signature Warwick all night, I don't know if anyone has ever commented but it's got side red led's in it. I could see his backup bass resting on a gigbag and it was a Gibson EB3 (I assume) it certainly wasn't his old 60's one it may have even been a Warwick signature but it looked absolutely brand spanking new.

He played the whole gig with his right hand and the neck pickup and only moved closer to the neck when playing, I was so close I could hear his amp (I was technically stood behind the PA :)) it definitely was very mid heavy but it had a good chunk of grind to it as well that I wouldn't have thought was possible with the Hartke's, anyway Jack sounded like Jack, amazingly articulate.

Once the gig had finished I hung around trying to get an autograph and came to the conclusion that Jack wouldn't be coming out to the general public so I went outside and found the stage door, just as I did his tour manager was pulling the people carrier around so I offered to held him get the gear in the car. As I'd suspected Jack was only using the HA5500 stack and the HA3500 and other 4x10 and 1x15 were a backup, it was there he told me about the 2 DI signals, I can only assume one pre and post the Harkte.

So once this stuff was in the car, the tour manager said he was just going to get Jack. Jack comes out and gets into the car, I sheepishly asked "Excuse me Jack, sorry to bother you but I couldn't get an autograph and a handshake could I?" to which he responded "Well you're not really (bothering me), I can't shake your hand as I've got terrible cramps but I'll try and sign something for you" so I got my Jack Bruce autobiography signed, I had my vinyl copy of Songs For A Tailor in the car but I didn't want to take it into the gig or try and run and get it before he left.

Now one thing I will say is, Jack was very gracious throughout his gig and was grateful to be at the gig and this was a festival so it would have been hard for him to hang around, I mean the man is near 70 and you can really see it when you meet him, he looks in great health on stage but afterwards it's clear he's giving it his all.

Anyway enjoy the pics (sorry they were all taken on an Iphone)

Setlist:
First Time I Heard The Blues
Mellow Down
You Burnt The Tables On Me (He didn't play this)
Neighbour Neighbour
Politician
Born Under A Bad Sign
We're Going Wrong
White Room
Sunshine Of Your Love

Encore:
Spoonful or Sitting On Top (He played Sitting On Top)

Brilliant post, thanks for sharing it. He's always been one of my heroes too. It's interesting what you say about his singing. I heard a recent track on the Paul Jones Radio 2 show and thought how good and 'youthful' his singing sounded.

After such a long, distinguished career ( and the liver transplant!) he still seems to have the passion, and is big enough to revisit what must be the world's most iconic back-catalogue of bass lines.

Truly one of the greats.

Great post - thanks.

It's easy to forget that these guys are getting quite old, but it's great that they're still out there playing. Last time I saw BB King he was seated for most of the gig, and that was a fair few years ago now.

Nice to see that JB also has the keys on his set list - I used to think I was the only one. :)

The Colne festival is excellent, it's a pity the crowds can be disappointing. We were there 24 hrs after you, to see Steve Cropper & we weren't disappointed. He's also hovering around 70.
A really nice guy to talk with, he was asking ME when his album gets released!! :) He remembered us from seeing him on tour three years ago & still flirted with my other half like he did then. It's plainly obvious that he really enjoys playing with Micky Gallagher of the Blockheads on keys & their interaction is superb!

Hi,
He was playing at the Rhythm Festival in Bedfordshire (Old Warden mansion House) this last weekend and as we wereplaying on the sunday we had access all areas.
I agree the guy looks in stunning shape for his age. Was nice and close and agree his playing was inspirational and a very kind warm fella to boot. Made me proud to be bass player again.

Shame I had to keep explaining to my girlfreind who he was, i dont think it was til he closed the set with White Room that any bells started ringing for her!!

Thought he would be the highlight of the weekend but following our set the stage manager actually allocated somebody from his team to help pack the bands equipment away just so i could be 'released' by the rest of the band to run over to another stage to watch a personal hero, Bruce Foxton (ended up in the wings for the From The Jam set so a massive thumbs up to all the accomodating festival staff for a change.)

The guy blew me away with his energy and nimble footedness and was very accepting of my embarrasingly childish inabilty to speak properly when he spoke to me post gig.

I cant believe so many of these internationally renowned artists are so gracious to fans, when so many of the pointless 5 minute nobodies and one hit indie wonders we play with are the most embarrisgly arrogant gimps you could ever meet!

Best gig I ever saw was JB with the Norman Beaker band (plus Dick H-S) in the mid 80's.

Thanks for the review - I avoided seeing him recently, just because he looks so old now, and I'd rather remember the two gigs I saw 20 odd years ago. But you've changed my mind, I really should go see him again while he's still gigging.

Great post - thanks - I saw JB in in venue near California ( just outside Falkirk), what seems like 100 years ago & he had the drummer from Blondie playing with him. Also at a gig in Edinburgh in 1985 ( I think) when it was an all star kinda deal. Rory Gallagher , John Martin ( pissed & beat-up), Ian Stewart from the Stones & Simon Kirk(Free/ Bad Co) on drums & various others.
What I think is good is that you don't need to be a muso/bassman to enjoy the songs/gigs - if you are then even better!

[quote name='Mod_Machine' post='1356777' date='Aug 30 2011, 08:08 PM']Thought he would be the highlight of the weekend but following our set the stage manager actually allocated somebody from his team to help pack the bands equipment away just so i could be 'released' by the rest of the band to run over to another stage to watch a personal hero, Bruce Foxton (ended up in the wings for the From The Jam set so a massive thumbs up to all the accomodating festival staff for a change.)

The guy blew me away with his energy and nimble footedness and was very accepting of my embarrasingly childish inabilty to speak properly when he spoke to me post gig.

I cant believe so many of these internationally renowned artists are so gracious to fans, when so many of the pointless 5 minute nobodies and one hit indie wonders we play with are the most embarrisgly arrogant gimps you could ever meet![/quote]
Definately. I went to see Stiff Little Fingers when Bruce Foxton was with them, in about 97, in Scunthorpe. A couple of weeks later I went to see them in London, and when Bruce Foxton came out on stage he saw me, I could see that he`d recognised me from the Scunthorpe gig, and he said hello. I was virtually dumbstriuck, but made a kind of "alright" noise. Remembering a face from the crowd in 2 gigs in miles-apart locations, and saying hello - decent fella.

[quote name='Mod_Machine' post='1356777' date='Aug 30 2011, 08:08 PM']I cant believe so many of these internationally renowned artists are so gracious to fans, when so many of the pointless 5 minute nobodies and one hit indie wonders we play with are the most embarrisgly arrogant gimps you could ever meet![/quote]

Great thread :)

I once met Rockette Morton when he was doing a gig in Stourbridge with the Magic Band. I was with 3 friends and we had stopped by the venue early to pick up the tickets we had reserved. It just coincided with the band coming out after finishing a soundcheck. One of my friends accosted him with 'just wanted to say how much I love your music.. saw you at Hammersmith Odeon 1969 etc'. He then stopped and had quite al ong chat with us. Really nice bloke. He was chatting on about 'yeh, that was when I was with Don' or 'that was when I was with Frank'. He's talking about Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa here! As if we were personally aquainted! We were all very thrilled.

Oh and the gig was great BTW. Even without Beefheart.

great review and pix!! happy to see he has gone back to the Thumb (dont we all!!).
I was playing at the Blues Fest every day except Friday and so couldnt get up to see him.

absolute legend - hope I can still manage it when I'm his age!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='1356229' date='Aug 30 2011, 01:15 PM']Got invited by a friend to the Great British Rhythm and Blues Festival on Friday to see Jack Bruce and the Norman Beaker band.[/quote]
There's a "best of" of Colne on Paul Jones Radio 2 at 7pm tonight; lasts for an hour, Bruce, Trower & Cropper are said to be on amongst others.

edit; Doh, got the time wrong! :)

Edited by Big_Stu