Why become a member? ×

What's the most you would spend on a bass???

Schnozzalee

I recently bought a Wal Mk1 - worked out to about £2700 - this included cash and a trade. I found out that my "dream bass" just wasn't. I don't think I'm alone in this - I've seen a few customs that were sold for a significant loss because the expensive bass just didn't live up to people's expectations.

This doesn't mean that custom build's aren't worth the money - merely that the expectations from an expensive bass are usually higher than a less expensive one. I don't think I've heard anybody complain about their Sue Rider..

Most of my basses are around the £1k mark - whether they are "better" than less expensive basses is subjective - a friend of mine thinks his Sandberg is better than all of them - I disagree..

Given the £10m win on the lottery I don't think there would be many of us who didn't go a blow a small fortune...better investment than the Ferrari/Porsche/Aston that's going to depreciate in minutes..

Personally, no more than £600.

I do think that anyone can pay whatever they can afford.

It's just a personal thing.

I don't think I could justify more than £600 for the level of player I am.

If I was pro, I would pay whatever it cost to get the tone / playability required.

Edit: I have not spent more than £200 so far on a bass and £325 on a guitar!

Edited by Blademan_98

[quote name='daz' post='1350562' date='Aug 24 2011, 06:22 PM']makes no diff, if i saved for years or won [i]el gordo[/i], bases are for playing. Guitars [i]on the wall [/i] as ornaments is silly, unless they are just hung there to keep them from the dog chewing or cocking a leg on them, or the missus knocking it over whilst doing the hoovering.[/quote]

Why is having a bass on the wall silly??, I never understand people who say things like that? It's nonsense.

It’s all relative surely. My passion is Vintage Fender Basses, I love them, I’ve spent many years buying and selling them (Mainly buying them, I find it very difficult to sell!). It is anything but silly.

If it makes me happy, then it isn’t silly. I have a collection that is worth a few quid, and yes I have spent considerable amounts on individual guitars, because to me, they are worth it. Anyone who collects anything, will tell you that the chase for that Holy Grail item is part of the fun, and I’ve met numerous, fantastic people during that process.

All my basses are worth considerably more than what I paid for them, and they are worth considerably more than if I’d put the money in the bank, and I’ve had the benefit of playing and enjoying them for that time. They are a great investment, if you buy the right instrument of course, and you know your stuff.

Is it ‘silly’ of me not to take my near mint ’52 to jam night at the Dog and Duck? No, of course not, surely a no-brainer? It should be in a museum! I have other instruments that are far better suited, and easier to play, that I can drag down the Dog and Duck.

‘Basses are for playing’ I hear you cry? Yes, of course they are. My ’52 was meant to be played in 1952. Almost 60 years on though, and it’s become an instrument of significant interest. If it was a house, it would be Grade 1 Listed, and rightly so.

I’ve said this before, but it’s the same with cars. Cars are for driving? Yes, of course they are. But if you were fortunate enough to own a 1962 Ferrari 250 GT Daytona, worth £3m, would you use it for the school run? No. Would you use it for the weekly shop, and leave it in the multi-story next to Aldi? No, of course not. No difference.

If antiques was your thing, and you had a 15th Century silver spoon, worth £5k, would you use it everyday to stir your coffee?, what?, No?, but spoons are meant for stirring surely!

It’s a simple case of Horses for Courses.

Whatever floats your boat (Bass wise that is). I think people who pay £1500 for a Rickenbacker 4001/3 are ‘silly’, they are ghastly, ugly contraptions. Players who buy Gibson Thunderbirds should seek psychiatric help, and as for those who pay top dollar for headless Status basses, words fail me, they’re not even basses, they look like shovels, with strings! Like I said, we’re all different, and thank God we are too, because the world would be a dull one if we all played Precisions (Although it would be a more attractive one! :) ).

Having expensive basses certainly doesn’t make me/or make me think I am, a better player, I’m not, I’m pretty crap, but I love playing, love collecting, and love owning these instruments.

My JV Jazz is arguably the cheapest bass I have, and it is one of the best sounding, and definitely the nicest to play, out of all my basses. So it’s not about the sound or playability either.

As for hanging them up so the missus doesn’t knock them whilst hoovering, obviously I am loaded, so we have cleaners who do that for us. And for those who are concerned at that statement, don’t worry, I never allow the cleaners into the East wing, where the studio, well, one of the studio’s is located, so that’s never been a problem!

Oh, and before you hit the ‘reply’ button, yes, that last paragraph was a joke!!

Rick.

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='molan' post='1351329' date='Aug 25 2011, 02:09 PM']I'm sure having a more expensive bass that a player really loves, appreciates and wants to simly pick up & play al the time [i]will[/i] make them a better player too.[/quote]
I disagree with this. A nice instrument may inspire you to pick it up often,but it won't make you a better player-that is
down to what you play/study on it,not the cost of the instrument and how often you pick it up.

[quote name='Skol303' post='1351466' date='Aug 25 2011, 04:07 PM']£200 second-hand for me!

If it takes a few knocks, I'm not crying about it... :)

Though I am planning on spending a fair bit more on an upright, someday.[/quote]

True dat, having played a few cheaper uprights/EUBs I think you HAVE to spend a few hundred quid just to get something playable in that market.

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='1351580' date='Aug 25 2011, 05:52 PM']True dat, having played a few cheaper uprights/EUBs I think you HAVE to spend a few hundred quid just to get something playable in that market.[/quote]

Although a friend of mine recently spent 7 grand on an upright which is really nice,while my old teacher bought
one at a similar time for £800 which is even nicer.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1351575' date='Aug 25 2011, 05:47 PM']I disagree with this. A nice instrument may inspire you to pick it up often,but it won't make you a better player-that is
down to what you play/study on it,[b]not the cost of the instrument and how often you pick it up[/b].[/quote]

Totally agree.

I pick my bass up every day.

I can play Em like no one else..........

Can't play funk though :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1351575' date='Aug 25 2011, 05:47 PM']I disagree with this. A nice instrument may inspire you to pick it up often,but it won't make you a better player-that is
down to what you play/study on it,not the cost of the instrument and how often you pick it up.[/quote]

I think you've over analysed. I think he simply meant (Correct me if I'm wrong Molan!), if you have an instrument that inspires you to pick it up and play more frequently, with added enthusiasm, then it will improve your playing. As with anything, the more you do it, the better you will become.

If i analyse what [i]you[/i] said, becoming better does not depend at all on what you play/study. If your'e studying stuff thats beyond you, and you dont understand it, it could de-motivate you and make you less interested and worse as a player. Similarly, if you simply play open E all the time, it won't make you better either, but then I'm over analysing.

Sorry, in one of them moods today!! :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1351637' date='Aug 25 2011, 07:00 PM']Have you ever thought about expanding the repertoire. Maybe to E major or even Fm :)[/quote]

To be honest, Em and Am do it for me.

I learned them 30 years ago on a guitar and they have never let me down :)

(of course if Funk is in a major key, I may have to revise my life plans.... :lol: )

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1351663' date='Aug 25 2011, 07:24 PM']I think you've over analysed. I think he simply meant (Correct me if I'm wrong Molan!), if you have an instrument that inspires you to pick it up and play more frequently, with added enthusiasm, then it will improve your playing. As with anything, the more you do it, the better you will become.[/quote]
If everytime you pick up the instrument you play the same licks and songs,there comes a point very quickly where improvement
stops...it doesn't matter what bass it's played on.A nice expensive instrument may inspire you to pick it up but that doesn't
guarantee improvement.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1351663' date='Aug 25 2011, 07:24 PM']If i analyse what [i]you[/i] said, becoming better does not depend at all on what you play/study. If your'e studying stuff thats beyond you, and you dont understand it, it could de-motivate you and make you less interested and worse as a player. Similarly, if you simply play open E all the time, it won't make you better either, but then I'm over analysing.

Sorry, in one of them moods today!! :)[/quote]
If you play and study stuff that is beyond you,that is how you improve as a player-by pushing yourself to play something
that you can't already do.....just picking up and playing alone won't improve you.

I wouldn't have a problem spending some decent cash as long as I knew I could get what I paid for it if ever I sold it. I hate buying basses new. In fact I like beat up basses they have a bit of a history to them. I'm playing some festival gigs soon and with the cash I'll make I was thinking about buying a USA Jazz. I played a new one in my local music shop which I fell in love with but I hate the idea of buying it at the new price which is over £1100 (if I walked out of the shop and sold it on basschat the next day I'd be lucky to get £700 for it as a secondhand bass). The thought of it getting it's first dink brings me out in a cold sweat.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1351678' date='Aug 25 2011, 07:36 PM']If everytime you pick up the instrument you play the same licks and songs,there comes a point very quickly where improvement
stops...it doesn't matter what bass it's played on.A nice expensive instrument may inspire you to pick it up but that doesn't
guarantee improvement.

Just what i said then?

If you play and study stuff that is beyond you,that is how you improve as a player-by pushing yourself to play something
that you can't already do.....just picking up and playing alone won't improve you.[/quote]

If you understand it, yes, if you don't understand it, like i said, then it could have the opposite effect.

This thread is about how much would you spend on a bass. No-one is saying an expensive bass will make you play better. If it makes you play more often though, you will improve, unless theres something wrong with you. [i]Everything[/i] improves with practice.

Jeeez

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1351827' date='Aug 25 2011, 10:13 PM']This thread is about how much would you spend on a bass. No-one is saying an expensive bass will make you play better. If it makes you play more often though, you will improve, unless theres something wrong with you. [i]Everything[/i] improves with practice.[/quote]
I know it's about how much you spend....I was just picking up on the comment that if you have an expensive bass that you want to play,you will improve. I'm just saying that isn't the case-you may get the inspiration to pick up the instrument and play it,but that doesn't mean you will improve.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1351856' date='Aug 25 2011, 10:46 PM']I know it's about how much you spend....I was just picking up on the comment that if you have an expensive bass that you want to play,you will improve. I'm just saying that isn't the case-you may get the inspiration to pick up the instrument and play it,but that doesn't mean you will improve.[/quote]

Disagree. I never said if you have an expensive bass you will improve? I said if you play more, you'll improve.

I'm struggling to think of an example of [i]anything[/i] that you do more often, and fail to improve.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1351865' date='Aug 25 2011, 11:03 PM']Disagree. I never said if you have an expensive bass you will improve? I said if you play more, you'll improve.

I'm struggling to think of an example of [i]anything[/i] that you do more often, and fail to improve.[/quote]
I never said that you did-I was referring to this quote....
[quote name='molan' post='1351329' date='Aug 25 2011, 02:09 PM']I'm sure having a more expensive bass that a player really loves, appreciates and wants to simly pick up & play al the time [i]will[/i] make them a better player too.[/quote]
If you play more you won't necessarily improve. You can play your favourite songs for 10
hours every day and have fun,but you will improve more if you play something new and challenging for
one hour a day.It's about the context of the practicing not the sheer amount of time.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1351663' date='Aug 25 2011, 07:24 PM']I think you've over analysed. I think he simply meant (Correct me if I'm wrong Molan!), if you have an instrument that inspires you to pick it up and play more frequently, with added enthusiasm, then it will improve your playing. As with anything, the more you do it, the better you will become.[/quote]

That's exactly what I meant - well interpreted :)

I definitely stand by this and have heard many, many people agree with this broad concept.

Often it's the people who are less experienced and with less technical playing ability that would agree most. Some of them will find playing some things very difficult indeed but having something that generates that enthusiasm can help them break through a 'learning 'barrier'.

As for playing the same riffs and patterns repeatedly I have to say I can't see an issue with this either. In my experience, the more you play the more fluid your playing becomes, the more you want to pick up an instrument = the better player you become :)

I spent £120, £200, £230 and £1400 on my 4

I've wanted a Ricky 4001 for 35 years, after hearing The Yes Album, and when I could finally afford one, I loved it, went right off it for a while, then loved it again. However, if I had to choose only one of them to keep, it would be my Westone Thunder III fretless that cost me £230

Edited by davehux

[quote name='molan' post='1352190' date='Aug 26 2011, 11:15 AM']That's exactly what I meant - well interpreted :)

I definitely stand by this and have heard many, many people agree with this broad concept.

Often it's the people who are less experienced and with less technical playing ability that would agree most. Some of them will find playing some things very difficult indeed but having something that generates that enthusiasm can help them break through a 'learning 'barrier'.

As for playing the same riffs and patterns repeatedly I have to say I can't see an issue with this either. In my experience, the more you play the more fluid your playing becomes, the more you want to pick up an instrument = the better player you become :)[/quote]

Agree on all fronts. How's the '[i]new[/i]' P coming along?