Why become a member? ×

Why so long to set up?

Thurbs

We did a wedding last night and it took us 3 hours to set up and even then we still were not ready. So why does it take us so long? Here is the set-up:

3 x mic > desk
2 x guitar > pedal board > amp > desk
1 x bass > pedal board > desk
1 x kick drum mic > desk
1 x drum pad > desk

2 x desk main out > power amp > pa bass bin > pa top
1 x desk monitor out > wedge > IEM transmitter > light controller

Is it too complicated?

I have a feeling we suffer from too many egos and not enough Indians and there is a large amount of faffing about. I think the speakers got moved and re-arranged 3 times + the lights wouldn't work via the sound chaser so they were just on a normal programme. We had to just stop in the end as we were delaying the cutting of the cake! All was well in the end but it wasn't a relaxing experience, that is for sure.

I don't currently use any back line as I am fully IEM. I am thinking it would be more efficient to ditch the idea of controlling the sound through the desk and just use the PA for vocals. The rest can be done from back line. Would that mean we are set up in less time?

How long would it take you?
Is there any tips?
Do you have set jobs and responsibilities?

Any help appreciated.

Probably too much delegating, I've had this in bands before. In the short term I'd hire a [i]trustworthy[/i] sound engineer and make it clear to the band that they don't interfere. If you get a sound you like and follow what the engineer does and can trust yourselves to follow his/her plan in future you can probably do it yourselves in future. With your set up I think I'd be looking to at least sound check within an hour unless something went seriously wrong.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='charic' post='1345437' date='Aug 19 2011, 01:48 PM']You should be able to set the in under an hour easy IMHO. Too much talking not enough doing maybe?[/quote]
I tend to agree with this, although lights can take a while. We normally allow 90 mins but normally have a good 30 of them sat around......!

Yeah, three hours is pretty ridiculous.
Setting up guitar/bass -> FX -> amp wouldn't be any quicker than amp -> desk IMO. If anything it's more hassle as you have to worry about the amp position and onstage volume for monitoring.

It takes my 4-piece at most an hour to set up. That's drums, bass, two electric guitars plus an acoustic (all with separate amps), mixer, three vocal mics, DI on the acoustic, sometimes a kick mic, two lighting tripods with foot controller, active FOH cabs, and active monitor with slave.

Trick is, get everyone doing what they know best. Drummer takes the longest so everyone helps him in with his stuff first so he can get going. I know how the PA works so I do my amp/pedals then the mixer and FOH/monitors. Singer I've trained to set up the lights so he does his guitar and amp then those.
Lead guitar does his electric and acoustic, then he sets up mic stands and other simple bits.
This way everyone knows what they're doing, nobody is in each other's way too much, nothing gets missed and nobody's trying to do the same job.
Once we've soundchecked then a couple of random people gaffa down the leads while the other two gets the drinks in :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1345436' date='Aug 19 2011, 01:47 PM']I pride myself on my shut downs. Quickest from last note to fully loaded car is 4 minutes (the stage/my set up was in front of some French doors and my car was right outside). Set up i snormalyy 15 minutes max (no rigs or lights :))[/quote]

4 minutes - what on Earth were you packing away Bilbo, a plectrum?

In all seriousness, my last band would, once we had all the gear in the venue, take about an hour, hour and a half to set up and soundcheck. But this was a fairly leisurely set-up, we always made sure we were at the venue at least 2 hrs before we were due to play, so we didn`t have to rush. At the end of the evening, it would take us about 45 mins to break it all down.

Tips - put any backdrops you have up first, whilst the drummer is sorting his stands etc. Leaves plenty of room to work with.
If you have a dedicated "technical" person who does most of the pa/lights etc, get the person with the least kit to "buddy up" with that person, doing the "menial" tasks, such as laying the speaker cables, microphone cables, setting up the microphone/speaker stands etc. Said techie then does all the fiddly stuff, plugging the 120 leads into wherever they go.

Other than that, everyone does their own set-up of their own gear.

Edited by Lozz196

I'm going to print this thread off and pass it to my band. Both times with this new band, in excess of 4 hours. Although saying that, myself and the drummer refused to turn up too early last time and were set up in half an hour, another 15mins and we were sound checked. It's a bit of a bone of contention in our little collective at the moment, the amount of gear used for what are small venues IMO. Vocal PA and backline would probably do us really, and a bit of monitoring.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='NickH' post='1345446' date='Aug 19 2011, 01:56 PM']Drummer takes the longest so everyone helps him in with his stuff first so he can get going.[/quote]

Bwaahahaha! In most bands maybe, but I played in a band with a guitarist who twiddled with his pedals for ages [i]every. single. time[/i] to get his "sound". Most times, I had my drums up and was out chatting with the bass player while he had a smoke before this guy was done!

[quote name='Thurbs' post='1345422' date='Aug 19 2011, 01:29 PM']We did a wedding last night and it took us 3 hours to set up and even then we still were not ready. So why does it take us so long? Here is the set-up:

3 x mic > desk
2 x guitar > pedal board > amp > desk
1 x bass > pedal board > desk
1 x kick drum mic > desk
1 x drum pad > desk

2 x desk main out > power amp > pa bass bin > pa top
1 x desk monitor out > wedge > IEM transmitter > light controller

Is it too complicated?

I have a feeling we suffer from too many egos and not enough Indians and there is a large amount of faffing about. I think the speakers got moved and re-arranged 3 times + the lights wouldn't work via the sound chaser so they were just on a normal programme. We had to just stop in the end as we were delaying the cutting of the cake! All was well in the end but it wasn't a relaxing experience, that is for sure.

I don't currently use any back line as I am fully IEM. I am thinking it would be more efficient to ditch the idea of controlling the sound through the desk and just use the PA for vocals. The rest can be done from back line. Would that mean we are set up in less time?

How long would it take you?
Is there any tips?
Do you have set jobs and responsibilities?

Any help appreciated.[/quote]

Massive fail!

Any wedding function band worth their salt knows this.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1345454' date='Aug 19 2011, 02:02 PM']I'm going to print this thread off and pass it to my band. Both times with this new band, in excess of 4 hours. Although saying that, myself and the drummer refused to turn up too early last time and were set up in half an hour, another 15mins and we were sound checked. It's a bit of a bone of contention in our little collective at the moment, the amount of gear used for what are small venues IMO. Vocal PA and backline would probably do us really, and a bit of monitoring.[/quote]

4HOURS!?!?!?!? In the Pig?!?!?!
Are you bringing the gear in one lead at a time, on foot, from bideford? :)
I still think turning up 2 and a half hours early to allow time for our 45 minute set up and soundcheck to go horribly wrong is too much. But it makes us more relaxed when everything does go wrong as *I* have time to fix it.

Yes vocal PA and backline will do, maybe stick the bass drum in the PA as well, that should do it for most pub gigs round here. (and don't let my drummer and guitar player tell you otherwise, their channels are often muted, and only plugged in to make them feel better)

[quote name='farmer61' post='1345497' date='Aug 19 2011, 02:44 PM']Tadge harsh? he never said he was a function band, just that he'd played a wedding.[/quote]

True.... but I'm sure the bride and groom wouldn't be impressed let alone any potential bookings from people there... It's another part of what wedding/function bands do that pub bands generally don't

[quote name='Thurbs' post='1345422' date='Aug 19 2011, 01:29 PM']. We had to just stop in the end as we were delaying the cutting of the cake![/quote]

You took 3 hours and delayed the cake cutting? Not cool.
It looks like you've got a pretty simple set up,so it shouldn't take long at all to get it all set up
and running.Even if you don't have a dedicated sound man,it shouldn't be taking that length of
time.

[quote name='crez5150' post='1345504' date='Aug 19 2011, 02:48 PM']True.... but I'm sure the bride and groom wouldn't be impressed let alone any potential bookings from people there... It's another part of what wedding/function bands do that pub bands generally don't[/quote]
But without knowing more, they could be known to the B&G for instance.

I play in two pub bands that regularly get asked to play weddings, the wedding party know exacltly what they get and makes there choices.

I agree that for proper grown up function bands you pay more and get a different service. Many of our clients want a pub feel rather than a function feel and accept that you get what you pay for, doesn't make it right or wrong.

Edit. plus if the band play well and the punters enjoy it they will forget about the set up issues!

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='farmer61' post='1345497' date='Aug 19 2011, 02:44 PM']Tadge harsh? he never said he was a function band, just that he'd played a wedding.[/quote]
I don't think it matters if its a function band or not-it shouldn't take 3 hours ( or even 4!!!!??? My God!) to set up
a rig like that.

Having said that,I know guys in bands who will spend nearly an entire afternoon in a pub,setting up stupid
amounts of gear so that they can pretend to be rock stars in front of their mates.

Edit...
[quote name='farmer61' post='1345514' date='Aug 19 2011, 02:55 PM']plus if the band play well and the punters enjoy it they will forget about the set up issues![/quote]

Unfortunately it doesn't always work like that. While everyone will probably still have a really
good night,they may not forget about your set up if you end up delaying things like
the cutting of the cake,or if no one can get in the room for hours.

Edited by Doddy

[quote name='Doddy' post='1345519' date='Aug 19 2011, 02:58 PM']I don't think it matters if its a function band or not-it shouldn't take 3 hours ( or even 4!!!!??? My God!) to set up
a rig like that.

Having said that,I know guys in bands who will spend nearly an entire afternoon in a pub,setting up stupid
amounts of gear so that they can pretend to be rock stars in front of their mates.[/quote]
Didn't say I agree, my post further up says it takes my bands less than an hour, I merely pointed out that I thought Crez's response was a bit brusque

[quote name='farmer61' post='1345523' date='Aug 19 2011, 03:02 PM']Didn't say I agree, my post further up says it takes my bands less than an hour, I merely pointed out that I thought Crez's response was a bit brusque[/quote]

The way it read to me was that they weren't known to the B&G as they had to stop as they were delaying the cutting of the cake.... sounds as if they were on a paid job... As said even if it was friends, I would think that you would want to give the best impression regardless of if you know them or not...

[quote name='crez5150' post='1345529' date='Aug 19 2011, 03:08 PM']The way it read to me was that they weren't known to the B&G as they had to stop as they were delaying the cutting of the cake.... sounds as if they were on a paid job... As said even if it was friends, I would think that you would want to give the best impression regardless of if you know them or not...[/quote]

All I said was that I thought your response to his post was a bit harsh, which you agreed with.