Why become a member? ×

Band members

janmaat

One of my bands is a four piece and always has been, always will.
The other has been up to six regular members, we have gigged with seven. Last year we boiled down to a steady five and that seems to be the right ballance between making a big sound and I can't make it that night , only six more instruments to sound check and the gig starts in ten minutes, how the hell are we all going to get on that stage? We've been paid but after petrol money the split is £3.75 each isuues.

5 of us in the rock band, but [b]14[/b] in the function band!!

Do I win the prize for most stupidly sized band? :)

Yes, we earn very little each, and yes there is no room on stage and organising the band is a bit like herding cats, but when we are on-song and the brass section is pumping out Tower of Power or EW&F numbers it's a great feeling on-stage.

I've always liked a 3 piece ( 4 if the players don't sing) , at least as far as pub gigs go. Another guitar muddys things in a small venue , plus I've seen far too many bands where the 'second guitarist' is obviously some other band member's mate and not there on merit.

I think a keyboard player is the best option for a 4th instrument in a 'guitar' band by a country mile.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1342035' date='Aug 16 2011, 04:00 PM']Does the question "Are you in for the fun or Money? " have any bearing on the decision of how many people?[/quote]

Sure...but only after whether it sounds any good.
That is why I say 5 inc keys..you can cover a lot of songs and you have distinct colours.
The gtr doesn't have to be this wall of sound and then solo into thin air.

Anymore than 5 and the budget has to be decent...and that restricts types of gigs.

No horn player is going to play for £30..which is what 7 is looking at at typical pub rates.
You only do functions for money anyway..or I do...and I am very picky about what ones
as they can be as soul-destroying as anything.. :)

My regular band is usually a 9 piece, 3 lead vocals, 2 brass, bass, keys, drums, guitar.
Depending on the job that comes in we sometimes go up to 12 or down to 5.
It is nice doing the odd dep where it's a 3 or 4 piece and everything is stripped down to the basics.

3 or 4. I just refuse to do twin guitar bands as frankly I've never been in or auditioned for a band with 2 that knew how to use them properly. Plus the fact that I tend to play in a fairly "busy" way, it generally leads to the 2nd guitarist telling me to shutup.

The trio I did a few years ago, laughably it was myself and the drummer that got to show off somewhat as we were carrying the singer/guitarist. I enjoyed it for a time and I certainly got better for it, but in the end it wasn't equal so we both left.

Keyboard players I've found, tend to just suck all the bass frequencies so you're left with nowhere to go.

I did a duo with a mate a few years ago and despite all the space I just sat back. Wished I could do more relaxed stuff like that really.

Edited by Wolverinebass

[quote name='JTUK' post='1340492' date='Aug 15 2011, 11:26 AM']3 and 4 piece gtr bands are very limiting IMO.

It becomes all gtr and you really need a very good player to be able to entertain.

That said, I am not a fan of twin gtr bands either. But the same applies..the gtr needs to be very decent so as not to sound samey.[/quote]

Complete opposite to me, though I agree about the need for the guitars to be decent.
I work better with 2 guitars;

G1) Lead/Melody
G2) Rhythm
B ) Rhythm / Harmony

I've played in varying sized bands. sometimes it works sometimes its more hassle than its worth. i play in a 4 piece doing originals and i works to have singer/guitarist, guitar, bass and drum. I've also done things in 10+ piece bands, one was a jamiroquai tribute and it didn't work because its nearly impossible to coordinate everyone, there was practically no money so no-one really cared enough to bother and the band leader is a tool of the highest order. The other one was a 60s tribute and that worked really well because we were all getting decent money, though the band leader was a bit disorganised.

different strokes for different folks

Errm, thirteen :)
Three vocals, guitar, keys, bass, drums, two trumpets, alto tenor & bari saxes, and trombone.

Needless to say, the gig money doesn't pay the mortgage. None of us does it for the loot though, it's a great laugh with a bunch of mates.

• 8 months later...

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1313517894' post='1342277']
I've played in varying sized bands. sometimes it works sometimes its more hassle than its worth. i play in a 4 piece doing originals and i works to have singer/guitarist, guitar, bass and drum. I've also done things in 10+ piece bands, one was a jamiroquai tribute and it didn't work because its nearly impossible to coordinate everyone, there was practically no money so no-one really cared enough to bother and the band leader is a tool of the highest order. The other one was a 60s tribute and that worked really well because we were all getting decent money, though the band leader was a bit disorganised.

different strokes for different folks
[/quote]

Shame that you think of me as a tool of the highest order, but that is your decision. I hope that you continue to make great music in the future and have loads of success in everything you do. Because although things didn't work out and as you say it was impossible to co ordinate everyone and to get them to care enough, I would never have anything bad to say about someone who tried to do something they have faith in.

And I certainly wouldn't degrade someone on an internet forum, that they knew nothing about and couldn't get the chance to defend themselves.

[quote name='jamirrorquai' timestamp='1335375470' post='1630191']
Shame that you think of me as a tool of the highest order, but that is your decision. I hope that you continue to make great music in the future and have loads of success in everything you do. Because although things didn't work out and as you say it was impossible to co ordinate everyone and to get them to care enough, I would never have anything bad to say about someone who tried to do something they have faith in.

And I certainly wouldn't degrade someone on an internet forum, that they knew nothing about and couldn't get the chance to defend themselves.
[/quote]

At first I thought this was an elaborate joke. Then I read it and thought it must be serious. Then I saw the user name and I'm confused again :unsure:

Edited by Ruiner

[quote name='Ruiner' timestamp='1335377838' post='1630245']
At first I thought this was an elaborate joke. Then I read it and thought it must be serious. Then I saw the user name and I'm confused again :unsure:
[/quote]

Anonymous tipster perhaps?

Anyway. I've gone from being in a 5 piece, to a 6, to a 4, and then back to a 5. Generally I like to have a keys player and one guitarist. I don't mind two guitarists but I often find I don't get enough room to stretch out and things can get cluttered unless very well coordinated, but I'm lucky to play with some incredible musicians so its rarely a problem.

I would say 4 is my preference. 3 is cool too, although your workload effectively doubles because there's so much space to be filled. I've played with big bands, 8 pieces, 10 pieces, I'm always cool to try out new things depending on what the music is.

My soul band was a 9 piece and we cut the horn players because we were struggling to find venues that would pay what we wanted. We are now a 7 piece and we are still struggling to find gigs that will pay our fee. Our price is negotiable, but as soon as the fee drops low enough not to even cover our travel expenses we bail out. Small to medium size venues simply don't have the money these days, so a lot of our gigs are now private bookings.

Enjoy a 3 piece band more for many reasons. Less tension, easier for decision making, less gear to haul, smaller van hire etc

This is my first 5 piece band in many yrs but guys are all good at what they do and have known each other for many yrs. I'm the new guy at 7mths.

We elected the keyboards as "musical director" to make final decisions on songs and how we arrange them. (he has the best overall ear for all instruments and is a multi- instrument player incl keys, gtr, bass, drms and does backing vocals so was ideal choice on this occasion.
Before that decision the band were in constant debate about arrangements. This works extremely well for us.

Dave

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1313529324' post='1342488']
Errm, thirteen :)
Three vocals, guitar, keys, bass, drums, two trumpets, alto tenor & bari saxes, and trombone.

Needless to say, the gig money doesn't pay the mortgage. None of us does it for the loot though, it's a great laugh with a bunch of mates.
[/quote]

This definately looks like good fun, especially when you are all good mates. Must take a fair bit of organising to get this running i guess. Must be fantastic opportunities to select virtually any type of song and make it your own. Well done.
This is kinda growing on me.

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7