Why become a member? ×

One's Company

essexbasscat

My guitarist thought he would double up with me on the bass intro to 'Keep On Running' with full on fuzz and it sounded awful but he thought it was excellent! - So then I just played 'Bomp Bomp Bomp Bomp' on the bass and the other band members said to me "Why dont you play the correct bassline anymore?" and I said "Well we both cant play the same thing" to which they told him "Dont do that, it sounds sh*t!" Surprisingly he dont do it anymore!

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1338787' date='Aug 13 2011, 02:19 PM']So then I just played 'Bomp Bomp Bomp Bomp' on the bass and the other band members said to me "Why dont you play the correct bassline anymore?" and I said "Well we both cant play the same thing" to which they told him "Dont do that, it sounds sh*t!" Surprisingly he dont do it anymore![/quote]

Yup, +1 to this - very effective technique.

[quote name='deanovw' post='1338443' date='Aug 13 2011, 09:15 AM']The guitarist in my band did it last night! He stomped on his octaver pedal, looked at me with a big grin and played what I was playing.

I tried ignore him. :)[/quote]

you should have hit the overdrive pedal and solo like mad over it, striking poses and all :)

I had this problem with a guitarist in my old soul band, there's a little bass run at the start of 'Land of 1,000 Dances' and he always used to play it along with me but not quite in the same time so it sounded terrible. Eventually it annoyed me so much I had to tell him that only one of us was going to play that line and that would be me. He was one of those guitarists who always had to be playing something and had no concept of leaving any space, I don't think he realised what he was doing until I pointed it out to him.

I've played in a few blues bands over the years and I tend to mix up the walking bass lines to make the songs a bit more interesting. If keyboard players play basslines in blues tunes it just confuses things and makes the bottom end a confused mess, unless we play exactly the same thing every time - which is pretty boring. I always make sure I tell keyboard players (diplomatically of course) to keep away from my end of the sonic spectrum and the songs sound much better for it.

Edited by gjones

yeah had this with keyboard players mainly. Very capable players who can't get the "less is more ethos2 - specially with some of the old skool funk and soul. I let it go with one guy for about 2 gigs and then had a quiet word. He said ok and that was that and then did the same thing at the next gig when i stomped over the stage mid song and shouted "wtf are you doing"? Although upset he got the message.

Guitarist in my old band was forever doing it. Most notable was Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth, where he'd be matching the thudding bass over the verse. Wouldn't have been so bad, but he tended to do it when he got bored - so you'd maybe get half the song with him playing it, then half the song where it was just me and the drummer (he wouldn't stick with it once he'd started either - he'd maybe come in halfway through a verse then not play it for the next one). Consequesntly, it sounded awful. Hated playing it.

[quote name='deanovw' post='1338443' date='Aug 13 2011, 09:15 AM']The guitarist in my band did it last night! He stomped on his octaver pedal, looked at me with a big grin and played what I was playing.[/quote]

That is fighting talk...

Keys mostly do this.. annoys me intently esp when we have talked about this very thing.

One song we have has a rather melodic bassline played on the dusty end of the D string with the open A being played as a drone. The Guitarist has tried to play it many times but just can't get the timing right (he doesn't notice that I actually slide most of the notes) so now plays something similar but different when I play a different part.

Last gig I played at, the singer plays a Godin with a synth attached. 1/2 way through one of our songs he starts playing the same bassline as me, so I took a solo up the dusty end. That I did enjoy :)

[quote name='scalpy' post='1338467' date='Aug 13 2011, 09:34 AM']I depped for a band, straight ahead pub rock stuff, only one bass moment in two hours, which I put a lot of work in for, learning the songs in funny keys because of the singer. Got to Alright Now, it's a well worn tune true but it is a fantastic bass moment just before the long full edit guitar solo, but he doubles the bass line before the foot on the monitor bit. Annoyed.[/quote]

This.

Both bands - both rhythm guitarists start playing the only good bit of the song BEFORE the solo starts properly. Most Annoying!!!

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1338426' date='Aug 13 2011, 08:47 AM']Anyone else get this ??????[/quote]

No, although in the unlikely event of this happening I'd reharmonize stuff and make it very difficult for the offender to continue to copy me!

Jesting aside, my keyboardist will join his left hand with what I'm doing occasionally if what I'm playing is very riff-based. Stuff like this is fine and you should never get too annoyed at someone trying to help you fill out the low end with different kind of voicing like keys or organ if the song calls for it. But if it is a result of lack of spacial awareness then it's all down to lack of musicianship, and you should be letting that person know that them doubling what you're playing sounds ridiculous and that they're stepping on your toes... and ultimately making it harder to fulfill your role in the band.

Thought I wouldn't be the only one !

I've decided the next time it happens, I will tweak the frequencies sub 150 - 250 or so, then turn the volume up. That way, the audience will hear the bass guitar line played by the bass guitar and distinguishable from the imposters.

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1338983' date='Aug 13 2011, 06:33 PM']That way, the audience will hear the bass guitar line played by the bass guitar and distinguishable from the imposters.[/quote]

No they won't. They won't have a clue what they're hearing. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1338984' date='Aug 13 2011, 06:36 PM']No they won't. They won't have a clue what they're hearing. :)[/quote]

+1

I play the run on Hey Joe but my guitarist sometimes gets carried away and plays it too.

Oh well, getting paid and muting the strings - win / win :)

On a broader note..when we have decided on how we present the song, who gets what and when etc... it f***s me right off if/when the gtr decides he will widdle over clearly defined spaces....a dn leave no room for the keys or
dynamics.

The gtr is just a band member playing out the song..we aren't there to back his show. His part is to make the song good... not him..!!

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1338483' date='Aug 13 2011, 09:57 AM']I've known guitarists to jump on the bassline too. When asked why, I was told "Well, there's nothing else for me to do".

Strewth[/quote]

This sort of attitude winds me up. I don't like musicians who think every moment of every song must have something to contribute from them. It's usually the players who leave space who sound better, as they better frame their musical ideas and tend to be much more memorable for it. I love busy playing, but busy playing from everyone in a band all the time throughout every song would be a nightmare!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1339018' date='Aug 13 2011, 07:27 PM']On a broader note..when we have decided on how we present the song, who gets what and when etc... it f***s me right off if/when the gtr decides he will widdle over clearly defined spaces....a dn leave no room for the keys or
dynamics.

The gtr is just a band member playing out the song..we aren't there to back his show. His part is to make the song good... not him..!![/quote]
We got rid of a guitarist for this reason. Just constant noodling throughout the song, even over the top of the lyrics & never played the same thing twice! :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1338673' date='Aug 13 2011, 01:01 PM']Only ever happened to me once.
So I made sure I was playing my 6 during 'Come Up And See Me' and stole the lead solo off the guitarist.

It's never happened since. :)[/quote]

Aye. That's the trick. People start playing my lines, I start playing theirs... In fact, I play theirs anyway sometimes. Then laugh at them when they try to play mine with their weedy little strings. Ha ha. HAR HAR HAR :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1339058' date='Aug 13 2011, 08:10 PM']We got rid of a guitarist for this reason. Just constant noodling throughout the song, even over the top of the lyrics & never played the same thing twice! :)[/quote]

I really REALLY expect better from this guy... and that what pisses me off the most, ...that we are going to have to spell it out.
I mean, we have already been through this when we set the track up so it is not like he doesn't know...he is just in an ignore mode..!!
It makes me fume, tbh..!!

Actually if done well it can be hugely effective.

With Dick Venom we do this quite a lot especially if the song is in E, I'll play some of the bassline an octave higher in the guitar range range rather than where you would expect it to be so both instruments are playing in unison. With the right guitar and bass sounds and with sufficient practice to get it tight (we spend a lot of time playing the riffs at three quarter speed to ensure that our timing is completely spot on and then gradually speed back up to the "proper" tempo).

To pull it off requires musical discipline, but that's a skill I tend to value and expect the other that I play with to also value.