Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR range.

Kes

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1317229959' post='1388453']
When I got mine, there was the SR-800FL. I think the only thing they do now is the 2 GWBs.
[/quote]

Hi guys,

I've just picked up a factory made fretless SR1000CT from eubassix on here. On its way to me: will post regarding it once I receive :)

[quote name='Ashwood1985' timestamp='1337942126' post='1667664']
Hi guys,

I've just picked up a factory made fretless SR1000CT from eubassix on here. On its way to me: will post regarding it once I receive :)
[/quote]

It's a lovely looking bass. Looks like a fretless version of mine & was tempted myself by it (good job I'm skint).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1337943251' post='1667705']

It's a lovely looking bass. Looks like a fretless version of mine & was tempted myself by it (good job I'm skint).
[/quote]

Lol not gonna lie I was pretty much skint when I saw it. But I managed to rustle some cash flow temporarily before I get paid in a week or so. I've been mulling over 'cheap' fretless options that won't turn out to be dogs for a few months so when this came up I some what jumped! Never owned a fretless before so I'm excited to grab it and geek off to the very few licks of jacos I've been practising lol

When I had the money in pocket and wanted to buy an Ibanez SR500, I found that even in the cookie-cutter type basses, there's a big difference in feel, persona and attraction.

They had no less than five of the exact same model SR500 - without the Mid Switch - and I was playing one and tried all the others at the same time keeping an eye on the one I liked most.

That's the one that went home with me, as the others didn't 'fit' as well. I dunnow what it was - just different I think.

I also played another SR500 WITH the Mid switch - and I don't miss it at all.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1312722502' post='1330948']
. My Dean edge has a super thin neck (thinner than an ibanez) I don't know if this applies to the 5th variants but they may be worth considering.
[/quote]

I can confirm that the Dean 5 stringers also have very fast necks. Mines an older CZ Custom, don't know about newer ones.

• 3 months later...

How have I not contributed to this thread? I bought a GWB35 some time back and it is easily my most used bass at the moment. I started up an 80s covers band and although my defretted MM SUB was good for this, the extra buzz you get off the Ibby's beanpole board makes a world of difference, and the extra string is vey handy. On the strength of this I bought a 505 2nd hand as the neck is very similar (exact same width and depth). A new set of strings, decent set up, steaming out of a dent or two, restrain and rewax and it seemed ok, but I wasn't completely sold. I lent it a short while ago and have just got it back. Playing it today and I think we have a keeper :) Anyway as any gear thread is worthless without pics..........

[IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/B942685D-6F1D-489E-88B5-40806CDD7D5B-2377-000001F3252D00F4.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='NeilMorrell' timestamp='1317232452' post='1388498']
As I mentioned previously, I have a 1994 SR400FL. This has an Plain Board with side dots and dates from around 1994.

Here's mine!

[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/187838-nbd/"]I've just acquired one of those[/url] :i-m_so_happy:

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1312760306' post='1331584']

If you plan on buying without trying then don't get an SRX as they are the wide fingerboard models. The SRs are famous for their slim necks but the SRX is a bit of a beast in comparison
[/quote]
I didn't know that - if might explain why I struggled with an srX595 and its width.
Still I sold it to a bass chatter who loves it so its gone to a good home

• 2 weeks later...

I got an SRX305 about 6 years ago and it was a great instrument, granted the neck was quite wide it still played and sounded good.

My main gigging bass now is a 2008 SR505 i got three years ago and the neck is a lot slimmer and I love it, light weight and makes a 3hour set a breeze!
Also they look great when the finish wears off, gives it a proper road worn look

• 2 months later...

Cant pass this thread by without chipping in.

I bought an immaculate used SR605 for £299 to dip my foot into the 5 string pool and was so impressed with it that I sold my 4 string gigging Laklands and bought a SR1205 premium . These two basses are now the only basses I own.

The overall design template for both basses is incredibly well thought out and works beautifully. Over the last 35 yrs I have literally owned almost every brand from Status, Wal, Alembic, Musicman, Vigier, Fenders, Laklands, Ricks etc etc etc etc...I could go on all day....so I think I know my stuff. For the money the 605 is a gorgeous instrument...light, beautiful construction, great playability and electrics pups. The 1205 is simply stunning..,..easily one of the nicest basses I have owned, and arguably currently giving me my best ever live sound! A 5 string that weighs 8lbs and knocks out absolute killer sounds whilst playing like butter. Build quality is superb.

I cant believe how overlooked and underated the Ibanez SR basses are, especially the higher end models. For the record I think the difference in quality between the Premium and Prestige range is negligable. This, for me, makes the Premium range the best value for money of all the SR's.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1355577639' post='1900117']
Cant pass this thread by without chipping in.

I bought an immaculate used SR605 for £299 to dip my foot into the 5 string pool and was so impressed with it that I sold my 4 string gigging Laklands and bought a SR1205 premium . These two basses are now the only basses I own.

The overall design template for both basses is incredibly well thought out and works beautifully. Over the last 35 yrs I have literally owned almost every brand from Status, Wal, Alembic, Musicman, Vigier, Fenders, Laklands, Ricks etc etc etc etc...I could go on all day....so I think I know my stuff. For the money the 605 is a gorgeous instrument...light, beautiful construction, great playability and electrics pups. The 1205 is simply stunning..,..easily one of the nicest basses I have owned, and arguably currently giving me my best ever live sound! A 5 string that weighs 8lbs and knocks out absolute killer sounds whilst playing like butter. Build quality is superb.

I cant believe how overlooked and underated the Ibanez SR basses are, especially the higher end models. For the record I think the difference in quality between the Premium and Prestige range is negligable. This, for me, makes the Premium range the best value for money of all the SR's.
[/quote]

Well done getting a 605 for under £300! I'm on the look out for one, or a 705 - though I'm not massively keen on the Transparent Black that we get

[quote name='jahfish' timestamp='1355615026' post='1900692']
Well done getting a 605 for under £300! I'm on the look out for one, or a 705 - though I'm not massively keen on the Transparent Black that we get
[/quote]

Lol, bit of a story with the 605. I tried a "new" one with a very distinctive grain pattern in Guitar Guitar in Glasgow and fell for it. It was £586 new. I hummed and hawed and came within a pubic hair of buying it there and then...but didnt. A few days later I was on their website and I saw that they had an immaculate "used" 605 in the Glasgow store for £299...so I snapped it up. Cut a long story short it arrived the following day and it was the exact "new" instrument with the distinct grain pattern that I had played and almost bought for full price 3 days previously. Now, far be it for me to cast aspertions upon Guitar Guitar...but they tried to sell me a pristine used bass at a new price imho. Anyway...fate dealt me the bass at a great price.

I just noticed that weight is an issue for you in your previous post. Obviously each individual instrument varies but both of my SR5's come in around about the 8lbs mark. Very light for 5ers.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1355654512' post='1900888']
Lol, bit of a story with the 605. I tried a "new" one with a very distinctive grain pattern in Guitar Guitar in Glasgow and fell for it. It was £586 new. I hummed and hawed and came within a pubic hair of buying it there and then...but didnt. A few days later I was on their website and I saw that they had an immaculate "used" 605 in the Glasgow store for £299...so I snapped it up. Cut a long story short it arrived the following day and it was the exact "new" instrument with the distinct grain pattern that I had played and almost bought for full price 3 days previously. Now, far be it for me to cast aspertions upon Guitar Guitar...but they tried to sell me a pristine used bass at a new price imho. Anyway...fate dealt me the bass at a great price.

I just noticed that weight is an issue for you in your previous post. Obviously each individual instrument varies but both of my SR5's come in around about the 8lbs mark. Very light for 5ers.
[/quote]
It's also possible they seriously wanted to clear some stock, but didn't want to advertise that price to the world for a "new" bass. If they had, they could have the world and his wife calling asking for all the basses at 1/2 price. Or maybe I'm too forgiving.

But hey!!! What a bargain!!

Yep I'm a proud owner of a Ibanez SR300 & I'm deeply in love with it.

I have never bought anything over £50 a an impulse buy but I was in my local PMT & randomly picked one up & was very moist lol

After chatting to a sales lad he tells me they had a pearl white one in the store room, he goes & gets it (The lad knows I have no interest in buying it) he gets it out & sets it up......an hour later I'm still sat playing it through an amp. My other half comes to the store to meet me, takes one look at me & has a listen......10 mins later I'm walking out of the shop with it.

I have had this bass for coming up to 2 years now & I still dont want another bass, I dont want or need to replace it (By the way I only own one EBG) I still smile everytime I pick it up.
THe way it feels, the weight, the look of it (Even though I'm not a fan of white instruments), The neck, The balance & above all else the miriad of sounds & tones I get from the bass still send chills down my spine.

It's the best bass for me that i have ever owned.......I gush even now about my lowley budget Ibanez. I know most people will laugh at my £280 bass but I am still besotted by it.

Gush is now over lol

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1355841143' post='1903465']

It's the best bass for me that i have ever owned.......I gush even now about my lowley budget Ibanez. I know most people will laugh at my £280 bass but I am still besotted by it.

[/quote]

£230 at Thomann now :o There is something really drool worthy about the white ones too!

Great story, I love hearing about people's love affairs with instruments :gas:

I tried a whole load of Ibanez basses last time I went shopping---and was put off all of them by horrible setups. All of them had horrific fretbuzz, the actions were set far too low, and it was just impossible to demo them properly. Yeah, I could probably have complained and got the shop to fix them, but I shouldn't have had to. A pity, because I'm sure underneath they were good instruments (and some of them were orange! orange! How awesome is that!!)

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1355844309' post='1903552']
It's a real shame about the set up being poor, the dude in PMT was pretty good & set it up in a few mins for me. Well worth the money
[/quote]

If I'd been seriously buying, I would have asked them to. But I was just trying out some basses to get some ideas, so I didn't want to waste the shops time!

I have an Sr300 as well one of the 2012 models with the different pickups. It cost me £250 from Guitarguitar and I havent had to adjust anything at all with regards to the set up, it is exactly the way it left the shop. I prefer the Ibanez pickups and pre amp in this to the Bart`s that are fitted to the Sr 500 and 700 models, both of which I have owned.

I sometimes think of getting something else but the feel, sound and the build quality of the cheapo Ibby keeps GAS in check. For the moment :rolleyes:

Edited by jezzaboy

A couple of weeks ago I decided to sport a bit of cash and a part-ex on something different to my usuals and ended up walking out of the store with an SR505. It played fine in the shop but then developed a buzz after a couple of days. No big deal, I though, and grabbed the tools to adjust it... whereupon I found out that the truss rod was completely stuck - no movement at all. So that was the end of that - I took it back and got another Fender instead!

I think my point in posting is that if yours is perfect and never needed a tweak... might be worth checking that you can actually give it one should the need ever arise!

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1355848983' post='1903630']
I have an Sr300 as well one of the 2012 models with the different pickups. It cost me £250 from Guitarguitar and I havent had to adjust anything at all with regards to the set up, it is exactly the way it left the shop. I prefer the Ibanez pickups and pre amp in this to the Bart`s that are fitted to the Sr 500 and 700 models, both of which I have owned.

[/quote]

Funnily enough it was GuitarGuitar in glasgow that I tried them out! :lol:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1312679007' post='1330581']
I've got a SR1000 I bought new 20 odd years ago (ok, it's a 4 stringer) & it's still my main bass.
It's went from being a metal/rock bass to a folk/country bass to a DnB/dubstep bass & hasn't let me down.
It has the original Powercurve EQ section.

I think the main difference between cheaper & higher models is the quality of parts used as well as the woods.
[/quote]

Sorry for being a twat but what is DnB/dubstep music - can't say i've heard of that before.
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1355923130' post='1904505']
Sorry for being a twat but what is DnB/dubstep music - can't say i've heard of that before.
Dave
[/quote]

Stuff like this...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tRX5eL5wcE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tRX5eL5wcE[/url]

This...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWRU3Sxt9tY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWRU3Sxt9tY[/url]

& even BCs very own...