Why become a member? ×

John Taylor Duran Duran

stewblack

[quote name='stewblack' post='1324477' date='Aug 2 2011, 04:28 PM']BTW did Mr Taylor play an Aria back in the day or is that my old man's memory playing tricks?[/quote]

He did. He has a Peavey signature model these days IIRC, and he was playing Kubicki Ex Factors for a while too. They sounded bloody great!

[quote name='stewblack' post='1324477' date='Aug 2 2011, 03:28 PM']BTW did Mr Taylor play an Aria back in the day or is that my old man's memory playing tricks?[/quote]
Well, after playing Rickenbacker and Wal he endorsed Aria (APII SB and RSB models) until '84. Thereafter he's used Kubicki (Factor), Steinberger (XQ), Warwick (Streamer), MusicMan (Stingray), Spector (NS2 - I think), and Peavey (various models) electrics (although almost certain I've missed one or two electrics), as well as a Carruthers EUB and Yamaha and Guild acoustic basses.

[quote name='daveybass' post='1324343' date='Aug 2 2011, 03:10 PM']Would be tempted to throw in View to a Kill as well..best Bond theme and a great basline to boot.[/quote]

Really?

I'm rather fond of "The Living Daylights" (A-Ha) The drumming's amazing (if it isn't sequenced!)

Seems like most of us have a copy of Rio at home (the album), then!

[quote name='noelk27' post='1324678' date='Aug 2 2011, 06:49 PM']Well, after playing Rickenbacker and Wal he endorsed Aria (APII SB and RSB models) until '84. Thereafter he's used Kubicki (Factor), Steinberger (XQ), Warwick (Streamer), MusicMan (Stingray), Spector (NS2 - I think), and Peavey (various models) electrics (although almost certain I've missed one or two electrics), as well as a Carruthers EUB and Yamaha and Guild acoustic basses.[/quote]
And a Les Paul bass in The Neurotic Outsiders. Fairly sure it was a Gibbo.

[quote name='steve-bbb' post='1324423' date='Aug 2 2011, 03:59 PM']just a thought ....

Andy Pask[/quote]

+1
Been a very, very busy session player in this country for ages.
And of course co wrote the TV theme tune for 'The Bill' as well as playing Bass on it.

Garry

I think I might expand this and do an hour 'bass special' for the station. There's plenty of airtime given to guitarists and singers but never enough exposure to the great bass players. I sense a new thread coming on. It could easily turn into a series, I mean there's an hours worth of Jamerson, Macartney, Babbitt and Entwhistle alone and that's just four off the top of my head from one decade.

Aside from any one particular track, I once saw a very small Duran Duran gig, one of those announced secretly on the day and all that, at the International 2 in Manchester back in the 90s.

It was at the time when the line up was Simon Le Bon, John Taylor, Nick Rhodes, Warren Cuccurrullo & Steve Ferrone.

To be honest, I wasn't a fan of theirs up to that point, but it was a fantastic gig, and opened my eyes to how many really good tracks they've recorded over the years, and JT's a far better bass player than I ever gave him credit for.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1324293' date='Aug 2 2011, 02:28 PM']Planet Earth or Girls on Film.

Original and best.[/quote]

Agree ^

And if you are trying to get people to really notice bass, best choose a hit everyone knows rather than an album track I guess

Sounds great, do you know what other bassists you will feature, also can this be listened to online ?

[quote name='Mudda' post='1326268' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:51 PM']I'd need to dig out Rio to have a listen...

From memory I'd say the whole damn album! The bass was the main reason I liked a lot of Duran stuff...and still do :)[/quote]

I couldn't agree more!! :)

• 4 months later...

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1312307372' post='1324678']
Well, after playing Rickenbacker and Wal he endorsed Aria (APII SB and RSB models) until '84. Thereafter he's used Kubicki (Factor), Steinberger (XQ), Warwick (Streamer), MusicMan (Stingray), Spector (NS2 - I think), and Peavey (various models) electrics (although almost certain I've missed one or two electrics), as well as a Carruthers EUB and Yamaha and Guild acoustic basses.
[/quote]
[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1312311612' post='1324769']
And a Les Paul bass in The Neurotic Outsiders. Fairly sure it was a Gibbo.
[/quote]

There was also the Roland G77 for the Big Thing era too...