Why become a member? ×

Seeking a band

How do you people usually seek out a band to join?

I have always done it through a recommendation or friends but I've found myself in the position of seeking a regularly gigging professional covers band but without any idea where to start.

Are there any good websites or publications I should know about?

I'd be interested in peoples stories or advice on this subject.

Cheers

Dave

Never been in the sort of band you're after, but before I moved to London I was always approached by people who wanted me to play for them (I'm not that good just a lack of competent bassists in the area). Since I've moved to London, I noticed that for the 18 months I was first here, nothing of the sort had happened for me. Searches on 'bassists (or bass player) wanted in London' on Google gave me gumtree and other various music/bands board links, and I had a choice of about 8 to apply to, as it was I applied to two and got the first one, which is my current group :)

Like the OP, I find personal connections are usually the best way to find like-minded musos, but if you're going down the online adverts route, joinmyband.co.uk and Gumtree have always got the biggest response for me. Have to switch your chancer filter on full, as is normal when you're advertising for band members, but they seem to be a lot more active than any of the other sites I've tried.

bandmix.co.uk has also been productive for me...

[quote name='mike257' post='1323201' date='Aug 1 2011, 04:00 PM']Like the OP, I find personal connections are usually the best way to find like-minded musos, but if you're going down the online adverts route, joinmyband.co.uk and Gumtree have always got the biggest response for me. Have to switch your chancer filter on full, as is normal when you're advertising for band members, but they seem to be a lot more active than any of the other sites I've tried.[/quote]

I never had to search for bands before I moved to Cheltenahm but found myself signing up to numerous sites to try an dfind some good people. Here are a few sites...

bandmix
joinmyband
star now
muso finder
musicians in your city
forming bands

Get into a network..and if people like what you do, they'll call with dates.

You do have to put yourself out there, so a few choice contacts are fine.
Once you know 3-4 bookers who know how you play and that you can do the type of work they'll get..you get asked.

I'd start at open mics/jams.

I applied for an audition from the musicans wanted board at the local music shop about 2 years ago, and I am still playing with them. There are always a few bands looking musicans etc on the board, might be worth having a look round the local music shops.

Joinmyband is pretty good. I got interest from 4 bands within the first 24 hours of posting an advert and ended up joining one of them.

Certainly beats the good old days of trawling through the dusty musicians wanted adverts in music shops and calling bands up to find the vacancy was filled 2 years ago! :)

[quote name='karlfer' post='1323475' date='Aug 1 2011, 08:25 PM']I rarely fail auditions. I have a van :lol: .
Hard part is when they try to fire me but not the van![/quote]

:) :P :lol:
Like it and how very true.
Only the van is truly irreplacable in a band. :lol:

This cheered me up no end.

Join My Band is where i met up with my current band and had several interested parties before settling on this one.

Dave
:) :D :D

Edited by dmccombe7

Joinmyband, Gumtree and BandMix are all great suggestions - that and spending some time in your local music community, seeing who's advertising in rehearsal spaces; what bands are beginning to form and perform; etc.

The secret thereafter is patience, I'm learning. I'm still looking for a decent vocalist. I'm filtering a lot of teenagers at the minute :)

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' post='1324321' date='Aug 2 2011, 02:50 PM']Just a question - how do you know if you are good enough to join a band? Obv a bit of a wide open Q, but not having played in one before and keen to get "out there", are a few dozen songs enough, or do you need to be able to busk along or similar?[/quote]

Again I'd say open mic / jams are a good way of gauging how you are doing alongsid eother players. Having said that I went to a few that were very cliquey in my early playing days and it put me off and as a result I didn't join my first band until about 10 years later than I should have. There are a lot more of these kinds of informal gatherings now so in some ways it is easier to get up and have a go. If they ask you to play with them again you are at least doing something right and it is something to build on until the next jam. There will always be someone there that's better than you, try not to get intimidated and learn from them.

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' post='1324321' date='Aug 2 2011, 02:50 PM']Just a question - how do you know if you are good enough to join a band? Obv a bit of a wide open Q, but not having played in one before and keen to get "out there", are a few dozen songs enough, or do you need to be able to busk along or similar?[/quote]

I think it's simply a case of knowing your own limits; and finding people of similar ability, to avoid any serious clashes.

Open mics are good for covers/old favourites; I'd see if there aren't colleagues/friends/friends of friends fancying a jam and start from there.

I will note that being in a band does offer scope for some real improvement in playing. You have to up your game - and do! Best thing I ever did :)

I found, when I was starting out, that as a bass player you can keep it very simple and play along-side better musicians. You can try new things now and again and build up your confidence slowly. I think essentially all you need is to do is be able to stay in time and hit root notes at first so practising with a metronome will help. Just don't join a weather report tribute band.

Personally, I think you'll need to rely on a sparkling personality more than anything else.

Essentially, there are thousands of people out there who can play what you can. The ones that end up in a band are those who are reliable, who a good laugh, who contribute to all aspects of being in a band and who have a small ego.

I think as long as you can remember what riffs to play when, you'll fit in anywhere. You really don't need to worry about being pro-standard to get into a band.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1324594' date='Aug 2 2011, 05:48 PM']Personally, I think you'll need to rely on a sparkling personality more than anything else.

Essentially, there are thousands of people out there who can play what you can. The ones that end up in a band are those who are reliable, who a good laugh, who contribute to all aspects of being in a band and who have a small ego.

I think as long as you can remember what riffs to play when, you'll fit in anywhere. You really don't need to worry about being pro-standard to get into a band.

Truckstop[/quote]

^^^^ This :)

It's what I do!

[quote name='davey_one_visits' post='1324523' date='Aug 2 2011, 04:58 PM']I found, when I was starting out, that as a bass player you can keep it very simple and play along-side better musicians. You can try new things now and again and build up your confidence slowly. I think essentially all you need is to do is be able to stay in time and hit root notes at first so practising with a metronome will help. Just don't join a weather report tribute band.[/quote]

+1
Yep keep it simple and easy to start with. Once you get a feel for the other band members and their ability you can relax a bit and start fill-ins as and when required.

Dave

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1324594' date='Aug 2 2011, 05:48 PM']Personally, I think you'll need to rely on a sparkling personality more than anything else.

Truckstop[/quote]

+1
This too

Dave

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1324594' date='Aug 2 2011, 05:48 PM']The ones that end up in a band are those who are reliable, who a good laugh, who contribute to all aspects of being in a band and who have a small ego.[/quote]

Which is funny, because usually that can't be said for the rest of the band. I suppose "opposites attract" and all that. Otherwise agreed. You've got to treat it like a job interview and try to be as enthusiastic and excited sounding as possible, hence why i've never managed to get into a band.

Edited by EdwardHimself