Why become a member? ×

Hartke LH500

Marvin

I had the LH1000 for a while and thought that it was indeed a lot of amp for the money. The DI is clean, the tube is a huge plus (and easy to change if you're that way inclined) - I thought mine sounded a bit [i]too[/i] modern/toppy, so I stuck a Tungsol 12AX7 in there and it warmed it up a treat. Dead simple fix for £15.

The built in limiter is really useful too - really transparent but effective, and the bright switch certainly doesn't lie - that bad boy will strip paint.

On the downside the amps have a scooped sound by default. With everything set to 12 o' clock there is a modern, 'smiley' sound to the amp, and having done some research into this I found out that the mid control controls the 'cut' of the mids - it's impossible to boost them on an LH series.

Of course if you're running a sansamp/MXR 80 in the chain then that's not an issue, and to be honest that's the only negative thing about these amps. The fans run quietly and they'll take anything you can throw at them.

Ultimately I missed my Ampeg too much, so moved mine on, but they're a real workhorse and certainly aren't lacking in punch.

Hope this helps.

Marvin - let us know your verdict when you get it - i got the 2500 head at moment which i run through a hydrive 410 and an xl 115 but am planning on upgrading the 115 to a hydrive115 and the head to the lh500 - all i can say is that am glad i went for hartke over trace and saved myself a shed load of beer tokens :)

[quote name='daz' post='1323277' date='Aug 1 2011, 05:12 PM']Whats the difference between the HA and the LH series ? (i am trying to buy an HA 3500, 5000 or a LH 5000 but keep missing them)Is the[/quote]

Hey Daz, there's a few clues visually between the two models! ;o) The HA heads have a graphic, variable compressor (limiter) and both tube and solid state signal paths. The Tube signal path as a 'pre curve' built in and you have the ability to mix to taste. The HA heads currently come in ~200 (2500), 300 (3500) and 500W (5500) versions. There were also some old units that featured dual power amplifiers, such as the HA5000 (2x250w) and the HA7000 (2x350W).

The LH i think is a genius idea. The LH500 features a 500W power amplifier and the LH1000 features two 500W amps that can be run separately (and balanced for levels) or bridged for a stonking 1000W RMS in to 4 ohms.
The preamp is all valve with a passive tone stack EQ. As has been mentioned many times on the forum, the amps are designed to stay clean and punchy all the way up the volume control. I like that alot. They don't run out of steam like many amps that I have owned!!

Another great plus for these heads is that each module will run down to 2 Ohms, which I believe gives you the rather daft option of being able to run 8 x 8 Ohm cabinets off one LH1000 in parallel mode. Can't say I've tried it, not that i'd need to - my 8x10 Hartke stack with the LH1000 on top is truely a beast. Dave Ellefson, Hartke endorser is very right when he says that they are incredibly loud and powerful!

Whilst I am talking about the LH heads, I'd like to bring attention to the guff being spouted about the 'lack of gain control' on these amps and how you can't control the input gain. The LH heads seem to have a real nod towards old 'non-master volume' valve heads of yesteryear. There used to be a time when amps didn't have a master volume - the preamp was wired directly to the power amplifier. You'd use the gain control to attenuate the signal going in to the amplifier. When they were designed, distorting and distortion wasn't something that the manufacturers wanted and used the single volume (gain control) on the amplifier to keep the input stages from distorting.

Eventually some bright spark realised that actually the sound of valves distorting was actually quite nice for their style of music and thus started cranking these single volume control amps up really loud to get them to distort. Story short, as much as it was great to have that distorting tone, the volume was a bit too much at times and thus the 'master volume' amplifier was born. The ability to drive the preamp section in to distortion and then back the master volume control down to near bedroom levels made the sales of amplifiers rocket I am sure!

Ok, so - back to the LH heads - that volume control on the front is as good as the same as the gain control on any other amplifer and it's best to imagine that the master volume, if it had one is constantly locked on 10 (or actually 11 if you know how loud these heads are!)

One last little test, which I feel is a real credit to the design - if you have an amp nearby and a cab with a tweeter, turn the gain to zero and then wind the master volume all the way up (no noisegates please!!). Does it get really hissy and noisey? with the LH head's gain all the way down, I'm willing to bet that with a like for like amplifier, it's dead quiet in comparison ;o)

Ok Dood, you've convinced me. Now where is the cheapest place to buy one :)

The only thing im wondering about is why they price the less powerfull HA3500 at £100 more expensive ? Is it just because of an equalizer and built in compressor ? Also i dont understand how if they both have a tube pre amp that only the HA has the ability to swap between tube and solid state.?

Err maybe i should wait for a second hand 3500 to pop up :lol: (i love the ones in the solid tolex cases) :)

Edited by daz

I've used my LH500 for around six months now. Sounds brilliant with plenty of power. The volume knob is a little unusual; output is pretty relaxed till 1 o'clock when the power jumps up. Seems like this is characteristic of the amp from what I've heard.

Don't expect any grit from the valve preamp. I'm looking for an amp that can provide a little of this, so my LH500 [i]might[/i] be up for grabs pretty soon!

[quote name='daz' post='1323795' date='Aug 2 2011, 03:51 AM']The only thing im wondering about is why they price the less powerfull HA3500 at £100 more expensive ? Is it just because of an equalizer and built in compressor ? Also i dont understand how if they both have a tube pre amp that only the HA has the ability to swap between tube and solid state.?

Err maybe i should wait for a second hand 3500 to pop up :) (i love the ones in the solid tolex cases) :)[/quote]

Yep, i reckon the HA amps are simply more expensive because they have a lot more under the hood. I really believe the genius behind the LH heads are their simplicity,nwhich in turn leads to a great clean and powerful tone. The preamp has few components in comparison to say, and SVP. I feel sure that the result is less noise and a clearer sound.

As for why the HA heads have a solid-state mix, well the LH doesn't have a solid-state preamp section.it's not really needed as it's just a single valve on it's own and it's designed not to overdrive.

[quote name='lollington' post='1324744' date='Aug 2 2011, 07:41 PM']I've used my LH500 for around six months now. Sounds brilliant with plenty of power. The volume knob is a little unusual; output is pretty relaxed till 1 o'clock when the power jumps up.[/quote]

You could call it a side effect of the preamp's design, but again given the pluses of the amp, I'm not fussed! :)

+1 for the LH1000 head. Had mine since the end of last year and have to say compared with my old Hartke 3500 MOSFET (yes it's one of the 1980's versions) it's almost silent until you start pumping out the grooves!!!
it did take a bit of getting used to the way the levels work on the EQ and volume because they're all linked so tweaking one affects the next in line. but using some advice from "uncle Larry" I reckon my sound is sorted.
True there's no "grit" or fuzzy warm farty noises that you get from some amps {cough..ashdown..cough} but if I want that overdriven sound I'd stick a VXL or other pre-amp pedal in front to saturate the incoming signal. I reckon that gives you the ability to turn the rig back to clean for those soppy ballads I know you all play!

As if another example were needed; in our practice room I just run a 4 x 10 XL cab from one side of the amp. This is competing with my gitar-pist running a Marshall100W all valve head and TWO 4x12's. We are pretty fecking loud. My volume is only up at 4.

I'd definitely recommend one, certainly keep on your short list of possibles.

:)

Arghh decisions decisions? :) don't know which one to get, I'm leaning to the LH500 as i can get a new one for £270, but i do love the AH 3500 in the tolex case. Maybe ill buy a 500 and build a tolex case myself.

That'l have to do till i can afford a green Matamp. Got to get me a barefaced cab before that though, to hear the Hartke at its best.

Edited by daz

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=122730&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=122730&hl=[/url]

FWIW, I reckon the LH range are easily the best heads in their price bracket. No nonesense, solid and reliable. Put everything at 5 and play. Job done.

New guy chiming in...
I've played the LH heads through hydrive cabs and they give gobs of power, definition and clarity. Gobs.
However the EQ section is tone stack, ala Fender, so setting everything at 5 actually gives you a scooped, smiley-face EQ. Flat EQ is actually 9-3-9 on bass-mid-high

[quote name='darylchan' post='1326418' date='Aug 4 2011, 03:28 AM']New guy chiming in...
I've played the LH heads through hydrive cabs and they give gobs of power, definition and clarity. Gobs.
However the EQ section is tone stack, ala Fender, so setting everything at 5 actually gives you a scooped, smiley-face EQ. Flat EQ is actually 9-3-9 on bass-mid-high[/quote]

Flat is actually 2-10-2
Bass Mids High :)

The Mids are very scooped, if liked every clip of them i've heard so may invest before too long :)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1326530' date='Aug 4 2011, 09:44 AM']Flat is actually 2-10-2
Bass Mids High :)[/quote]

Which is the setting I use pretty much all the time. Plug and play. No messing about with graphics or switchable parametrics.... Just a good clear tone straight out of the box. Bloody loud too.

OK, it would be nice to have the ability to boost the mids a bit - but only for special effects. For a great, driving and authoritative tone this amp simply cannot be beaten in it's price range.

And yes, the BFB cabs really do let them shine!!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1326530' date='Aug 4 2011, 04:44 PM']Flat is actually 2-10-2
Bass Mids High :)

The Mids are very scooped, if liked every clip of them i've heard so may invest before too long :)[/quote]

shud've been clearer... 9 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 9 o'clock
which corresponds to 2-10-2 or thereabouts

The Hartke 5410c I have has the LH500 head in it (it actually says it on it). I love the thing, it's so easy just to plug in any of my basses (which are all wildly different in terms of sound and pickup config) and you can instantly dial in a great tone (and I mean great). My sansamp isn't even bothered with, I love the raw tone of these Hartke's and the LH500 is some serious beef for your sound.

Sort of makes me wonder why I thought I needed 12 band EQ on my Trace, because I really don't, it's only being retained as it's easier to carry on a tube than the combo :)

I would recommend it wholeheartedly.