Why become a member? ×

Hartke LH500

Marvin

Love my Hartke LH1000. It has been my main gigging rig, coupled with the AK410, since I got it. It cuts through anything and, due to its volume, I can't crank it much past two because the guys complained!!

Going to part with my SVT 3pro and B410hlf cab to buy another AK410 and the new Kilo head.

The Hartke gear has just blown me away...

I've had my LH500 for about a year now & I'm very happy with it (although I changed the cheap pre-amp 12Ax7 valve straight away after delivery, for a high quality Gold Lion one - £35)

It's very loud & I love the simplicity of the controls (why does it ever have to be more complicated than this!?!). So far it has been very reliable. Was initially concerned at the amount of hiss when the volume control was on 5 & over, but in reality I've never had the volume over 4. Using both my Ashdown cabs though presents a 4ohm load. If your cab is 8 ohms & you have to push the volume higher, this hiss could be an annoyance.

The effects loop works well & the fan is quiet. One gripe I do have is that the DI is pre EQ & effects loop (however, at the suggestion of another bass chatter I will look into getting this modded to 'post' which will be more useful in a live situation with a PA)

To sum up, for the money, you can't really go wrong with an LH500!!

[quote name='Wilco' post='1334218' date='Aug 9 2011, 09:21 PM']I've had my LH500 for about a year now & I'm very happy with it (although I changed the cheap pre-amp 12Ax7 valve straight away after delivery, for a high quality Gold Lion one - £35)[/quote]

can you explain a bit more re this valve swapping ? I am a valve neophyte and know nothing of this. I am probably going to get the L5000 this week.

ps: where is a good place to buy these valves at a good price ?

Edited by daz

[quote name='Wilco' post='1334218' date='Aug 9 2011, 09:21 PM']One gripe I do have is that the DI is pre EQ & effects loop (however, at the suggestion of another bass chatter I will look into getting this modded to 'post' which will be more useful in a live situation with a PA)[/quote]

I've just bought a compressor to go with my LH500. The manual says the DI is pre EQ but no mention about the effects send. I'd be interested to know how/who could go about modding the amp to remedy this. Cheers Wilco!

[quote name='daz' post='1334232' date='Aug 9 2011, 09:28 PM']can you explain a bit more re this valve swapping ? I am a valve neophyte and know nothing of this. I am probably going to get the L5000 this week.

ps: where is a good place to buy these valves at a good price ?[/quote]

Yep, no problem.

The process is simple enough - take the chassis lid off, the valve is towards the front of the amp, it will need a good (careful) tug to remove it, push new valve in, lid back on, job done!

I did a bit of internet research on valves before I bought the amp & thought this site was very informative amongst others:-

[url="http://thetubestore.com/12ax7review.html"]http://thetubestore.com/12ax7review.html[/url]

After fitting the new valve, the amp was warmer & the dynamics of a played note seemed broader - basically it did sound better & slightly less hiss as the volume knob increased.

My amp came with this valve:-

[url="http://www.hotroxuk.com/sovtek-12ax7wa-ecc83-valve-15435-0.html"]http://www.hotroxuk.com/sovtek-12ax7wa-ecc...ve-15435-0.html[/url]

& I replaced it with the 12Ax7 (ECC83/B759) version of this valve:-

[url="http://www.hotroxuk.com/12at7-ecc81-b739-genalex-gold-lion-14493-0.html"]http://www.hotroxuk.com/12at7-ecc81-b739-g...on-14493-0.html[/url]

I bought it from Hot Rox, but can't see one on their website at the moment. If you decide on replacing the valve, you'll have to do a Google search & shop around for the one you want.

Hope that helped.

Wilco

[quote name='lollington' post='1334242' date='Aug 9 2011, 09:35 PM']I've just bought a compressor to go with my LH500. The manual says the DI is pre EQ but no mention about the effects send. I'd be interested to know how/who could go about modding the amp to remedy this. Cheers Wilco![/quote]

I'm not going to be able to look into this for a couple of weeks - send me a message which will remind me to get back to you once I have.

[quote name='daz' post='1334341' date='Aug 9 2011, 10:50 PM']is this the one ? [url="http://www.hotroxuk.com/12ax7-ecc83-genalex-gold-lion-14543-0.html"]http://www.hotroxuk.com/12ax7-ecc83-genale...on-14543-0.html[/url][/quote]

Yep, that's the fella - well found!

Ordered my LH5000 from Guitar Amp Keyboard, today £269, should be here by Friday tea time they say :)
I will probably buy that valve just to see the difference, as i have never had any valve stuff before, apart from old radios and a Fidelity record player. (the one in this pic. yes i am that old)

Now just got to save for the Barefaced can i want, unless... er no forget it :)

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1335674' date='Aug 10 2011, 08:51 PM']Ordered my LH5000 from Guitar Amp Keyboard, today £269, should be here by Friday tea time they say :lol:
I will probably buy that valve just to see the difference, as i have never had any valve stuff before, apart from old radios and a Fidelity record player. (the one in this pic. yes i am that old)

Now just got to save for the Barefaced can i want, unless... er no forget it :)[/quote]

LH5000? Jeez that must be loud :)

Seriously though, enjoy! I'm keen to try one of these out so may take the plunge when i have a little more dough!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1335755' date='Aug 10 2011, 09:45 PM']LH5000? Jeez that must be loud :)

Seriously though, enjoy! I'm keen to try one of these out so may take the plunge when i have a little more dough![/quote]

The LH5000 will be the Dood signature version ha ha!!

[quote name='daz' post='1335674' date='Aug 10 2011, 08:51 PM']Ordered my LH5000 from Guitar Amp Keyboard, today £269, should be here by Friday tea time they say :)[/quote]

Welcome aboard the LH500 club, these things are amazing, and the price is even moreso!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='lollington' timestamp='1312922152' post='1334242']
I've just bought a compressor to go with my LH500. The manual says the DI is pre EQ but no mention about the effects send. I'd be interested to know how/who could go about modding the amp to remedy this. Cheers Wilco!
[/quote]

I've found a really simple way around this now - buy one of these (which I've just done):-

[url="http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/processors/s-class-mini/sdirect/"]http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/processors/s-class-mini/sdirect/[/url]

+ another speaker cable & job done.

Basically you can set the S-Direct to take an input directly from one of the LH500's outputs. There is a 1/4" jack link/output socket & the balanced XLR out on the S-Direct.

Connect one amp channel to the S-Direct input & the link ouput to your speaker cab. The S-Direct has then got your post effects & eq signal, which can then be sent to the PA via it's XLR out.

The S-Direct only costs around £30 & funnily enough, I think it's made by the same people who own Hartke!

Hope that helps.

I can't believe that Hartke would be stupid enough to make the DI out pre-effects send as well as pre EQ. It would render the amp useless for any shows that rely on PA support with effect modules in the amp's chain.

Unless someone else with a LH500 can pipe up and confirm this, I'll have to DI the amp into my Mac tonight and see for myself...!

Pre EQ I can completely understand....

If you use a lot of fx and rely on a bit of tube from the LH500 (great amps by the way, very very clean tube preamp) then ask the sound guy nicely and he will mic your cab.

With a bit of luck (and a beer) he may well DI the bass pre fx too and run the bottom end of that alone with the top end from the cab resulting in a phenominal bass sound (if he knows his beans)

Indeed you can & I have. (additional mic stand being something else you can trip over on a tight stage!)

I think the point is that these days a pre/post switch for the DI is a pretty standard amp feature, & it wouldn't have taken much to add that to the LH500 (instead of the brite switch?) so that you've got all options available.

Perhaps there'll be a MK2!! :)

Yes that would work if all the effects were plugged into the main amp input.

Only my distortion is plugged in that way whilst all my other pedals go through the effects loop. I read that is the tried & tested preferable set up, & my effects do actually sound better that way TBH.

Also, that is sending an unbalanced signal to the PA not a cleaner balanced one.

I played an LH1000 today and I must say it is a really stunning amp. One of the best sounds I have ever gotten without any effects. It was going through an EBS Proline 8x10 which may have helped. Really simple EQ, easy to use, great tone (great price to buy new as well). I am officially a fan! Really tempted to get a LH500 to replace the old Trace Elliot, but alas no funds!

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1317232131' post='1388490']
I played an LH1000 today and I must say it is a really stunning amp. One of the best sounds I have ever gotten without any effects. It was going through an EBS Proline 8x10 which may have helped. Really simple EQ, easy to use, great tone (great price to buy new as well). I am officially a fan! Really tempted to get a LH500 to replace the old Trace Elliot, but alas no funds!
[/quote]

Yet another Hartke LH500 / 1000, fan to swell the ranks :)

Just out of curiosity, how does the LH1000 compare on volume to the Terror bass 500? (assuming someone has owned both or compared them) I like my otb but at the volume we play at it's a little too dirty to my ear, so i've been toying with the idea of the Hartke as i've read that the 1000 can be run bridged into an 8ohm cab & gives the better part of 800w at that setting?

Edited by doomed