Why become a member? ×

GHS Fast Fret, Do you Use it? Poll

KiOgon

GHS are my favourite string makers - then one day I saw this Fast Fret advertised, thought I'd try it for £5. As it happens I love it! To be fair though I've only used it on Flatwounds.

Vote please :)

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' post='1306975' date='Jul 17 2011, 07:30 PM']At the risk of being told "go google"...whassat then?[/quote]
GHS Fast Fret™
String and Neck Lubricant / String Cleaner for All Stringed Instruments. Not a spray! Contains no silicone. It’s a liquid in an applicator. Use it on strings, fretboard, back of neck. Lets fingers slide freely, keeps strings clean, is good for wood.

An undoubtable yes, and it keeps my Rotosound Roundwound strings sounding exactly as I like them.
One set is now 11 months old and going strong (on my band practice/gigging bass).
The other set is 18 months old (on my home use bass).

I use it as a fretboard conditioner on rosewood that doesn't need cleaning, just hydrating a little, and it works really nicely. I absolutely detest the feeling of it on my strings and fingers, though!

Nope, always made strings feel far too slick for my liking. A decent wipe down with an ordinary cloth does the job better for my liking.

Also, as someone mentioned lemon oil, there's a job I hate doing as well. No matter how careful I am I somehow always end up with it irritating my fingers. Glad it doesn't need doing very often.

Edited by Maverick

I was given a free tube many years ago by my local music store when yet another set of Rotosound 36" scale strings that I had bought from them turned out to have a duff B string, so I could get a bit more life out of my old set while they ordered a replacement string.

I hated it. The applicator always left threads behind stuck to the strings on my basses which pretty much negated the cleaning process. I found it better just to buy new strings and give my instruments a good clean at the same time.

I've found more success using Fast Fret on some of my guitars, but I won't let it anywhere near my basses now.

[quote name='Maverick' post='1307274' date='Jul 17 2011, 11:28 PM']Nope, always made strings feel far too slick for my liking. A decent wipe down with an ordinary cloth does the job better for my liking.

Also, as someone mentioned lemon oil, there's a job I hate doing as well. No matter how careful I am I somehow always end up with it irritating my fingers. Glad it doesn't need doing very often.[/quote]

Steal your Mother's/Girlfriend's/Wife's Marigolds while their backs are turned, but never admit to it on here! :)
or:- Nip to your nearest 'Pound Shop' and buy the pretend Doctor's gloves that Mechanics use these days. Money well spent, if you have sensitive skin. :)

I've used it for as long as I can remember. Love the way it feels. I find it keeps strings sounding brighter for longer, reduces the friction in my somewhat sensitive fingers and it keeps the strings clean from sweat etc...

Never tried it on the back of a neck, never seen the point. I used to use it everytime I picked up a bass, now i use it once a week or so.