Why become a member? ×

Just in case you thought you had too much bass gear

Alemboid

I remember stumbling onto his blog a year or so ago on talkbass.

I don't think people should insult him or his playing just out of envy. His reviews are excellent AND he invites people from the talkbass forums to come round to his place to try out gear.

He has been very helpful to me answering all my questions on any EA gear I couldn't get my hands on and was thinking of buying.

From the pictures I've seen I think he gigs quite often, more than alot of people on this forum and some of them are quite big, few outdoor festivals and such.

I don't think it's fair that anyone judge him for having lots of nice gear, if you can why not.

Apologies to anyone who thought I was trying to insult the bloke, I was just trying to point out the funny side of owning that much gear (and of course there's the envy thing going on)

And yes, if I could afford that much gear I probably would go out and buy it.

Once again apologies.

Pete

I agree - OCD, albeit in a very enviable area of interest. Let us be fair, any of us with a touch of gas know that this behaviour is not entirely logical, it is usualy when the habit starts getting beyond the amount of room you have or the available funds that something is done about it. This guy happens to have a bigger garage and expense account than the rest of us. He has not got a stingray as far as I could see, so he must be wierd :-)

Tom has some amazing gear, and as someone mentioned already, is a top notch guy (as far as you can tell on the internet anyway!).

He can obviously afford it, and that means there is someone in the bass community who is readily available and happy to give his experiences and opinions on LOADS of stuff. All you have to do is ask, and he'll be happy to give you any info you want (within reason). Oh, and he knows what he's talking about, which is a bonus!

One part of me would Soooo like to live next door to the guy but the other part thinks, what if he starts having a blast with his mates at midnight!

I absolutely envy the guy without a shadow of a doubt and I'm not knocking him in the slightest but there has to be something above and beyond GAS and a bit of spare cash, to get to where he is.

You'd also have to put money on the fact that he can't be married :)

There's no pleasing some people. He could spend his money on fast cars - maybe a Lamborginhi or a Porsche and you'd all feel righteously justified in slagging him off. He probably drives a nice sensible car and spends his money living out his fantasies as a complete bass gear whore. Good on him.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='15791' date='Jun 11 2007, 06:30 PM']There's no pleasing some people. He could spend his money on fast cars - maybe a Lamborginhi or a Porsche and you'd all feel righteously justified in slagging him off. He probably drives a nice sensible car and spends his money living out his fantasies as a complete bass gear whore. Good on him.[/quote]

Who's slagging him off?

Not me, as you say 'good on him' and if he has a spare amp/cab/bass or two I'll pay for the shipping.

With regard to the missus... Dammit, you'll be telling me she's an ex-beauty queen with a degree in 'something really nice' and spends her spare time flower arranging and working in a charity shop! Sob, sob, I always get it wrong.

Seriously though, I'm sure he'd be a fabulous bloke to chat with about different gear.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='15106' date='Jun 10 2007, 03:09 PM']I think Tom is infamous on Talkbass as a complete gear whore. He's got pretty much every desirable valve bass amp that's been made in the last 20 years, reviews gear for Bass Guitar Magazine and has even been endorsing Sadowsky amps.

Not bad for someone whose day job is an attourney, I can only imagine the kind of space he has to store all of that stuff.[/quote]

Two words;

[font="Impact"][size=6][color="#FFFF00"]BIG YELLOW[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='15865' date='Jun 11 2007, 08:20 PM']Warickhunt,

I just got the joke in your name and am rolling on the floor laughing my [Tiajuana br[Myleen Kl[Myleen Klass]]] off (well actually I'm typing this, but you know what I mean)

I hope there is an intentional joke there, else I'll look a right pratt.

Clive[/quote]

:)

Got it in one!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='15880' date='Jun 11 2007, 03:34 PM']OK... is this just my PC or does the text on screen appear as some strange [Blackpool rock]ney rhyming slang every time someone includes the word be[Myleen Klass]?[/quote]

Nope, it's not just you, I re-edited my last post in the repair forum twice before I worked it out. Seems to be triggered by fish names.

Btw, looks like that gear guy who's the original topic of this thread has found one hell of a solution for his apple tarts. Perhaps a bottle of beano would of been cheaper?

Russ.

[quote name='Painless' post='15890' date='Jun 11 2007, 08:56 PM']Nope, it's not just you, I re-edited my last post in the repair forum twice before I worked it out. Seems to be triggered by fish names.

Btw, looks like that gear guy who's the original topic of this thread has found one hell of a solution for his apple tarts. Perhaps a bottle of beano would of been cheaper?

Russ.[/quote]

Now you see I can't even figure out if people are talking in code; rhyming slang or just plain bowlocks... triggered by any reference to swearing!

guys - we're just testing the language filter, its triggered by profanity and replaces it with cockney rhyming slang. The sensitivity needed a little tweaking but we couldn't do it offline unfortunately.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='15938' date='Jun 11 2007, 10:15 PM']guys - we're just testing the language filter, its triggered by profanity and replaces it with cockney rhyming slang. The sensitivity needed a little tweaking but we couldn't do it offline unfortunately.[/quote]
I,m glad you cleared that up!!! I,ve lost enough of my mind already to worry about losing any more!!!

Er. one question about your man and his room full of amps - why? Surely it's more fun trading one thing for another rather than buying it all and sticking it in a room to gather dust. Perhaps he's building it all up to give it away though - in which case - I take it all back and can I have first dibs please? :)