Why become a member? ×

HELP! I've just received a £1,200 bonus from work.

thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' post='1305526' date='Jul 16 2011, 10:02 AM']Just over an hour ago, the postman delivered my wage slip, and to my delight, I have been given a £1,200 bonus which I was not expecting.

I know that I should put it away for a rainy day, but I'm gassing like mad, [u]even though I really don't need any more basses.[/u]Maybe I should just put another "bitsa" together on the cheap, and put the rest away.

What do you think guys/gals?

By the way, the missus doesn't know yet, should I tell her?

Help please![/quote]

Pull yourself together man.... you can never have enought bass's. tut :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1305906' date='Jul 16 2011, 03:49 PM']Music room ???? One of mine is hung on the wall of the living room and the amp is here too. The guitar is on the stand infront of me as I type and it will be going on the wall soon also in the living room. She wants two to go up either side of the kitchen door and the points on the Jackson Flying V fixed so it can be put up and lit up so it's the first thing you see coming in the house.[/quote]

Well, yes, I'm in a good situation now that I can have one room just for toys. We haven't signed a contract but is as 'though we had: if we move, there must be a room just for me and my toys.
But for years I had guitars by the TV and a couple in my bedroom, and to use an amp I had to move a coffee table out of the way. And before that, all my possessions fitted in a single room :)

If you play your cards right, you too, one day, can be like me, young Skywalker! :)

[quote name='Sibob' post='1305720' date='Jul 16 2011, 01:04 PM']Ummm, is it actually a bonus??
Or is it an over-payment that they're going to ask for back lol

Si[/quote]
It is a proper bonus.

The reason it was not expected, is because we have been promised a bonus for the past three years, but they said our targets were not met,
so no bonus.

But this year we had only heard a rumour that we were getting one, so after the previous three years, we did not expect it to materialise.

It is definitely on my payslip, and it will be in my bank account on the 20th July.

And I've just remembered that it is my wife's birthday on the 19th July, so maybe a little bit might go her way.

Seriously though, I think I will spend around £300 on a bitsa, as I really enjoy searching for the parts and putting them all together, something nice for the missus,
and put the rest away for a rainy day (next serious gas).

[quote name='Johnston' post='1305866' date='Jul 16 2011, 03:02 PM']Thats not true. In the last two years I've had two basses and a guitar.

1 valentines 2 fathers days. And the Mrs has 2 guitars and 2 basses picked out for when funds allow/pop up cheap.

Just got to get the right gal :)[/quote]
Ahh see you say that but my dad earns 3-4 times what he did when he got married to my mum.
At that point he could afford all the new technology, gameboy, gamegear, a video player, piles and piles of new tapes and records. Stuff that cost hundreds, even thousands back then.

He's got about £20 a week to spend on himself these days, I work part time and I've got more money for toys that he does :)
I don't quite know how because we're pretty much independant of his income me and my sister, completely when we're at uni, but it happens...
Seems to be for a lot of the guys round here as well, poor lads (insert whip sound)

Edited by Ross

[quote name='Sibob' post='1305720' date='Jul 16 2011, 01:04 PM']Ummm, is it actually a bonus??
Or is it an over-payment that they're going to ask for back lol

Si[/quote]

Yes ^ make sure first

£200 treats £1000 in rainy day fund

A bass can be a rainy day fund, but only if it's brought at what will remain a consistent second hand value

[quote name='theplumber' post='1306383' date='Jul 17 2011, 03:27 AM']If you cant make good music on a cheap bass....ie squier or the likes...you are a sh*t bass player...and a bit shallow....[/quote]
Nice one mate!

You aren't just insulting me, as I assume your thoughts apply to everyone on BassChat, who happens to own a bass that cost a bit more than a squier.
And yes, you are right, there is nothing wrong with a Squier, just like there is nothing wrong with a Skoda for example, but what's wrong in wanting a Merc too?

I probably am a sh*t bass player, but we can all dream, can't we?

This post is supposed to be a bit of fun.

Maybe you should join a forum for "Grumpy Old Men"!!!

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1306575' date='Jul 17 2011, 12:27 PM']I suppose you could get a 2nd hand Skoda for @ £1200?

:)[/quote]
Yeah, but the person in the beaten-up £250 little hatchback, will probably think I must be a sh*t driver, if I need to spend £1200 on a Skoda!

Last time I got a big surprise bonus was with my December pay (1990 IIRC) Christmas was good, then I returned to my job, (Branch Manager of A/V company), made redundant on first day back.

Keep it safe 'til you're sure :)

[quote name='theplumber' post='1306383' date='Jul 17 2011, 03:27 AM']If you cant make good music on a cheap bass....ie squier or the likes...you are a sh*t bass player...and a bit shallow....[/quote]

erm, I think you joined the wrong table... what has this got to do with anything in this thread? :)