Why become a member? ×

culture Vs tallent

4 candles

its a fact

German footballers are better than English footballers! (sorry too say)

its also a fact that English footballers are much better than Scottish footballers

does this apply to bass playing?

are German bass players better than the English?

are English players better than the scottish?

too take it too the next level, Anyone know a good indian bass player? I dont know of a good indian footballer, so perhaps they are worse at bass than the scotish?

up for a good debait.

well, I thought it was a better post than "should I buy a P or a J ?" "what colour should i paint my bass" "what strings shud I buy" etc

Regards

Mark

[quote name='4 candles' post='1303995' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:13 PM']are German bass players better than the English?[/quote]
Wolfgang Schmidt and Kai Eckhardt are great German players,but are they better than Janek Gwizdala
or Lawrence Cottle?

[quote name='4 candles' post='1303995' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:13 PM']are English players better than the scottish?[/quote]
Jack Bruce is pretty darn good.

[quote name='4 candles' post='1303995' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:13 PM']too take it too the next level, Anyone know a good indian bass player? I dont know of a good indian footballer, so perhaps they are worse at bass than the scotish?[/quote]
I can't name you an Indian player off the top of my head but it doesn't mean that there isn't some dude over there that would
blow everyones minds in a similar way to how Richard Bona and Baghiti Khumalo did.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1304024' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:38 PM']Culture is a massive factor obviously. For example, blue men can't sing the whites.[/quote]

Wud that be yoof culcher ou le couture d'un autre mode?

Un homme blue est un homme en glace [Confucious].

ficelles

So many times have I heard bands try to play funk numbers for example and for it to feel totally contrived, almost like they are hoping for it to be some kind of formula that they can just plug into and play... but of course there's more to it than that. It has to be something that is natural to you, either because you have been raised in an environment where certain kinds of music are commonplace, or because you've been listening to the music all of your life. I don't think it has a lot to do with your genetic makeup so much, although I have seen people try to prove this to be true.

I know this is contentious but I really don't believe there is such a thing as talent (what's the genetic imperative for being able to play a stringed instrument?). So, that just leaves hard work and dedication. The willingness to do that is environmental, one part of which is your cultural influences. So, yes, I'm sure culture has an effect but how much is debatable.

[quote name='4 candles' post='1303995' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:13 PM']its a fact

its also a fact that English footballers are much better than Scottish footballers

too take it too the next level, Anyone know a good indian bass player? I dont know of a good indian footballer, so perhaps they are worse at bass than the scotish?

up for a good debait.

well, I thought it was a better post than "should I buy a P or a J ?" "what colour should i paint my bass" "what strings shud I buy" etc

Regards

Mark[/quote]
Know any good Scottish sarod players?

Know any decent oud players from huddersfield?

Know any exceptional cora players from Belfast?

Mark? One of your candles has expired :)

[quote name='4 candles' post='1303995' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:13 PM']its a fact

up for a good debait.

Regards

Mark[/quote]

I haven't read such a load of mis-spelled drivel for a very, very long time.

Totally irrelevant.

G.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1304148' date='Jul 14 2011, 11:06 PM']I saw a really good Chinese chap in a hotel bar in Dongguan.

[b]He probably won't get famous over here, he was still talented anyway[/b] :)[/quote]

He wont get famous over here, because he will insist on playing Level 42 tunes 'The Chinese Way'

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='1304231' date='Jul 15 2011, 12:04 AM']....He wont get famous over here, because he will insist on playing Level 42 tunes 'The Chinese Way'....[/quote]
Rever 42 and all that srap bass praying??

Culture's not that closely related to nationality though is it. Not these days anyway.

If you immerse yourself in a particular culture then you'll probably make a decent fist of their music. I suppose places like the UK and the USA have a bigger proportion of foreign cultures living locally, and their music has been more integrated into western music, so it makes sense that - for example - there aren't any world-famous German reggae bass players.

[quote name='4 candles' post='1303995' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:13 PM']too take it too the next level, Anyone know a good indian bass player?[/quote]

Norman watt roy, although you could argue his cultural influence was a mix

I bet if some Indian musicians who currently play non western instruments took up bass there would be some top class Indian bass players

It might go the opposite way around?

Whereas Germany & Brazil have the best footballers, they might produce the fewest amount of great bassists, England being better, then Scotland better again & the most being from America & India (& other countries that aren't known for any good footballers).

It makes sense to me. I'd rather play bass than kick a bag of wind around. :)

Edited just to say, I bet America's got better footballers than Scotland? Moves Scotland up in the bass rankings! :)

Edited by xgsjx

Total bollocks, given the right circumstance anyone from any country could be the best bass player in the world to a majority of people. Doesn't matter how naturally talented they are, enough training can work wonders.

There is no in-bred relationship between ones country of origin and ones ability to play in a certain way. What there is is an increased probability, a bigger pool to draw from. More people per capita play football in Brazil than in, say, Wales = more Brazillian footbaal players = higher probability that there are going to be more 'great' Brazillian football players. More West Indians play cricket = more West Indian cricketers = better standard of cricketer in the West Indies. More US jazz musicians = Americans are going to be better jazz musicians. More Indian sitar players = the best sitar players are likely to be Indian. Bigger samba scene in Brazil = best samba players are from there. Same with Cuban congueros, Indian tabla players, Aborinial didgeridoo players and Argentinain accordian players.

There is a reason why there is always an overrepresemtation of medals from the US, Russia and China iin the Olympics. There are always more kids to choose from who play the Sports in question. Its why the best skiers tend to be from countries where it snows etc.

I dunno... I think in the UK we have an "as long as you did your best" approach. However, I work with a lot of Americans and their attitude is more "don't get in my way I'm going to be the best". That's (I presume) a cultural thing and it probably tends to make them more successful at whatever they do.

However, I know enough about this stuff (to know what I don't know) to know that it is a complex issue and "common sense" appearances can often be very deceiving.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1304387' date='Jul 15 2011, 09:32 AM']There is no in-bred relationship between ones country of origin and ones ability to play in a certain way. What there is is an increased probability, a bigger pool to draw from. More people per capita play football in Brazil than in, say, Wales = more Brazillian footbaal players = higher probability that there are going to be more 'great' Brazillian football players. More West Indians play cricket = more West Indian cricketers = better standard of cricketer in the West Indies. More US jazz musicians = Americans are going to be better jazz musicians. More Indian sitar players = the best sitar players are likely to be Indian. Bigger samba scene in Brazil = best samba players are from there. Same with Cuban congueros, Indian tabla players, Aborinial didgeridoo players and Argentinain accordian players.

There is a reason why there is always an overrepresemtation of medals from the US, Russia and China iin the Olympics. There are always more kids to choose from who play the Sports in question. Its why the best skiers tend to be from countries where it snows etc.[/quote]
So where does that leave us Scots? Best shinty players? Good with things that involve rain? :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1304411' date='Jul 15 2011, 09:44 AM']So where does that leave us Scots? Best shinty players? Good with things that involve rain? :)[/quote]

World's leading caber tossers? :)

A lot world class comedy in Scotland? And a couple of great saxophonists in Tommy Smith and Bobby Wellins.

Great whisky distilliries?