Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

culture Vs tallent

4 candles

[quote name='4 candles' post='1303995' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:13 PM'][...]
up for a good debait.

well, I thought it was a better post than "should I buy a P or a J ?" "what colour should i paint my bass" "what strings shud I buy" etc[/quote]

It makes absolutely no sense to me :)
As a debate is a non starter, unless we derive into superficial stereotypes... :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1304664' date='Jul 15 2011, 12:48 PM']It makes absolutely no sense to me :)
As a debate is a non starter, unless we derive into superficial stereotypes... :)[/quote]
Me neither.

I've been trying to work out if the OP meant Gary Tallent.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1304435' date='Jul 15 2011, 10:01 AM']World's leading caber tossers? :lol:

A lot world class comedy in Scotland? And a couple of great saxophonists in Tommy Smith and Bobby Wellins.

Great whisky distilliries?[/quote]

[quote name='lowdown' post='1304440' date='Jul 15 2011, 10:08 AM']The blokes get to wear Tartan skirts without being called a tranny,
I think you are doing ok. :)

Garry[/quote]
A world class alcoholic tosser in a skirt who blows his own trumpet & takes the mick.

That's a rather stereotypical view of a Scotsman to take, is it not? :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1304730' date='Jul 15 2011, 01:54 PM'][b]A world class alcoholic tosser in a skirt who blows his own trumpet & takes the mick.[/b]
That's a rather stereotypical view of a Scotsman to take, is it not? :lol:[/quote]

What a grusesome vision... :)
A perfect partner for Pippa Middleton.
Now that's a wedding i would watch... :)

Garry

It might seem slightly obvious but it's worth noting....

Scotland - population 5 million
England - population 51 million
Germany - population 82 million
Brasil - population 193 million

By the law of averages, surely the country with the largest pool of participants is more likely to have more people who excel in an activity in which all countries take part ?

[quote name='BOD2' post='1304783' date='Jul 15 2011, 02:58 PM']It might seem slightly obvious but it's worth noting....

Scotland - population 5 million
England - population 51 million
Germany - population 82 million
Brasil - population 193 million

By the law of averages, surely the country with the largest pool of participants is more likely to have more people who excel in an activity in which all countries take part ?[/quote]

That's right. Hence why china and india are the world's best footie teams...

[quote name='BOD2' post='1304783' date='Jul 15 2011, 02:58 PM']By the law of averages, surely the country with the largest pool of participants is more likely to have more people who excel in an activity in which all countries take part ?[/quote]

If you're talking pure numbers,it also stands to reason that the countries with large populations will also have more people that suck.

The first time I went to America I saw alot of really good players.....but I also saw a hell of a lot of sh*t.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1304411' date='Jul 15 2011, 09:44 AM']So where does that leave us Scots? Best shinty players? Good with things that involve rain? :)[/quote]

Don't knock yourselves ... highest rates of lung cancer and heart disease in Europe - you Scots excel at some things, for sure! :)

Joking aside, I grew up in Hereford and know from experience that a lot of SAS guys, and the like, are Scottish. So there might be some truth in the "hardy, stoic Scots" stereotype, perhaps?

And musically-speaking, I don't know of any other nation that has such a passion for the bag-pipes. Apart from the Irish perhaps. Either way, you can keep them, ta very much!

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1304788' date='Jul 15 2011, 03:02 PM']That's right. Hence why china and india are the world's best footie teams...[/quote]

Well perhaps they might if football was as big a part of their culture as it is in England or Germany or Brasil ?

:) oh I don't know .... you do your best to raise the level of the debate.... but it's Friday after all.

As for the "...world class alcoholic tosser in a skirt who blows his own trumpet & takes the mick" I'll have you know that I have never owned a trumpet and with all the lung disease there's no way I could blow it if I did.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1304788' date='Jul 15 2011, 03:02 PM']That's right. Hence why china and india are the world's best footie teams...[/quote]

you missed an important detail:

the number of "players", not just absolute numbers.
India may have a lot more people than Norway, but I suspect it'll be easier to get a strong team of skiers in Norway.

I don't know why I'm participating in this :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1304965' date='Jul 15 2011, 06:36 PM']you missed an important detail:

the number of "players", not just absolute numbers.
India may have a lot more people than Norway, but I suspect it'll be easier to get a strong team of skiers in Norway.

I don't know why I'm participating in this :)[/quote]

Well there you go; clearly it can't possibly just be a numbers game after all then. Culture must have a bearing on it somewhere. If you'd never even heard of football you would hardly be able to play it for example.