Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Midget T for sale

Clarky

I have a roughly two-month old Barefaced Midget T (new cost £550) which I got for doubling between electric and DB and has only seen use at home and a couple of rehearsals. Its in pristine nick and I have acquired a custom-made padded cover off eBay (Roqsolid I think, can't remember, cost c£30)

I prefer my Wizzy 12 cab for my DB so would prefer something a bit more RAWK and old school for my electric bass, with a 15" speaker and without a tweeter. So is there a Barefaced fan out there with a Compact (preferably in the vintage cloth livery) who fancies a swap?

Weighs just 22 pounds. Full specs here: [url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/midget.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/midget.htm[/url]

Mine looks just like the one in gafbass02's pictures below :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Shockwave' post='1295862' date='Jul 7 2011, 12:36 PM']Does'nt the Midget have a variable tweeter?[/quote]
Yep, you can turn it up, down and off if you like. But there's no point having one if (in my case) its permanently switched off!

Trouble is, if I put a price up, it will have to be a lot less than I paid only a couple of months ago because thats the way the market is. Truth is this speaker is barely run in, I've only used it for perhaps 10 hours tops as my current band requires me only to play DB. Its basically about as new as you could wish for but I would have to take a big hit money-wise. So for now its up as a trade ...

Thinking on, If you were to order one from Alex, it would be £550 plus £25 post and the custom cover would be about £30 extra, for a total new cost of £605

If I were to price at £500 posted (within UK) I would be taking a £105 hit and you would be saving the same amount for a pristine, barely used, as new cab. Thats the best I can do. Thats probably not enough of a bargain to tempt anyone so it remains up for a trade

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='1295953' date='Jul 7 2011, 01:33 PM']Hi Clarky
I've been thinking along these lines. Mine is the original Compact, metal grille.
I'm hoping to try a Midget soon (Shire on here has one incoming).
We could be on for a deal if I like it enough.
cheers
Jules[/quote]

Mine is being covered at the moment according to Alex so it'll be with me in a few days Jules (maybe a week tops). As soon as it arrives I'll give you a call and you're welcome to come and try it :)

Thanks moonbassalpha but TBH I would prefer one of the new lighter-ply ones with the vintage grill cloth.

In fact I have potentially been offered a nearly-new vintage-style Compact by PM. That being the case I've done my sums and could drop a bit further on price - £475 incl post. Interested anyone?

UPDATE: I have bought a nearly-new new vintage-style Compact off a BCer, so the trade offer is no longer there.

My Midget (oo err, missus) is still on hold for a BCer - if he decides against it, it will go up for general sale.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1300445' date='Jul 11 2011, 11:11 PM']how loud is this as a single cab - say, with a shuttle 6 or streamliner?

Is it on hold for long?

Cheers

C[/quote]
Most Midget users on BC (eg Happy Jack) say its as loud as you would ever need for a pub type gig. Alex says on the Barefaced site that its louder than most 2x10 cabs and I would NEVER argue with Alex about cab-type stuff! But I have never gigged it so its difficult for me to really state anything firmly as I've only briefly tested it at home at louder than 'normal home playing levels'.

Re: holding the cab, I am out of the UK for a few days from tomorrow and so will be talking to the BCer concerned at the weekend most probably.

I will testify that this cab is suitable for anything up to medium sized gigs providing you have a solid 350 watt amp head. Any gig bigger should have PA support. However it served me well on many occasions. Only issue I had with it was the noticeable loss in deep lows (below 50hz) when it was being seriously pushed, but if again this can be countered with the right positioning on stage, and having a good sound onstage that doesn't completely drown it out.

Played this on it's own against a 2 full range PA 50watt 1x10 and a seriously loud drummer, and people commented that there was too much bass !!!!!!

On the slip side, I had to raise it off the floor ontop of another amp and it lost that floor coupling and the general sound on stage was naff so it struggled on the lows, but if it was on the floor it would have been fine.

The main reason that I got the bigger unit was because I was doing a lot of gigs without fold back
Monitors for the bass and out door stuff and rehearsal volume increasing!

I'd be all over this but I'm holding out on some other stuff.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1300445' date='Jul 11 2011, 11:11 PM']how loud is this as a single cab - say, with a shuttle 6 or streamliner?

Is it on hold for long?

Cheers

C[/quote]

I'd also like to know this as im seriously thinking of changing my cab now. As much as i like the 1212L i cant help think a Compact will be a better match for my STL600 or F1, if so it will mean i dont have to sell my STL600.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1301141' date='Jul 12 2011, 03:24 PM']I'd also like to know this as im seriously thinking of changing my cab now. As much as i like the 1212L i cant help think a Compact will be a better match for my STL600 or F1, if so it will mean i dont have to sell my STL600.[/quote]

Markbass watts are very nice, the F1 should out put 350 watts in 8 ohm and I've had 500 supposed watts going through a midget and never noticed a volume decrease.

If the Schroeder is close in design to a S12T then the midget will be 1/2 as loud as the 1212L, the Vd of which is 330, the 1212L I'd guess around 650-700cc of Vd. The compact is just over 500cc Vd. The missing volume will be negligible in smaller room from the 2x12 to the 1x15. Still 330cc is still loud and a lot better than most 2x10 while be lighter.

I've already gone through the pros and cons against each one but can go in more depth?