Why become a member? ×

THANKS BASSCHATTERS

dmccombe7

After reading many threads on bass players returning to play in bands again i decided it was time to get back on the road myself after a 15yr gap.
Found a fully formed rock band who were looking for a replacement bass player. (Vox, Gtr, keys, drms) all ex-pros with good gear and very competent musicians.
Quite daunting in itself. !
Learned the audition tracks, went for the audition / rehearsal and was offered the job there and then.
I was over the moon and great to be playing with a full band again. I realised just how much i had missed being part of a band.
The band were delighted so i guess polishing up on my technique and learning new styles during my absence must have paid off after all.

The best part is we all thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon session.
If it wasn't for all you guys in the B.C. family i probably wouldn't have bothered looking so many thanks to all who read this

PS a special mention to Cetera. Saw them live in Lanark and thought " i wanna play live again" Thanks mate.

Cheers
Dave
:)

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='Bassman Sam' post='1294192' date='Jul 6 2011, 12:50 AM']Nice one Dave, I'm in a similar position. I've got my 1st audition for 15 yrs on Saturday and I don't think I would have bothered if it hadn't been for BC. I hope I don't blow it.[/quote]

Good luck Bassman Sam.
If like me you've probably rehearsed more than the band did for the audition and you'll nail it first time.

All the best and good to see I'm not the only one motivated by BC'ers.

Cheers
Dave
:)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1294595' date='Jul 6 2011, 12:16 PM']Great stuff. :lol:

I've got a band but just don't get to see them :D We've had One gig this year & it was a jam thru (Was jolly good fun tho!).[/quote]

sorry to hear but one gig in a year. Any particular reason. :)
Sounds more like an annual review meeting of the "board" than a band. :)

Curious to know why not more gigs.

Cheers
Dave

I moved house 30 mile away from the band & don't have the funds to keep going down to rehearse.
So lack of seeing them means not much gets done :)

I'm considering starting a new band in Perth but haven't decided if I should & if so whether it'll be an originals rock or acoustic, a covers band to do parties & weddings (money driven of course), or if I should start a Dubstep/DnB outfit.

The covers option is appealing for the money & the DnB for the sheer enjoyment.

Well done on the comeback, I know it takes a good deal of thought and consideration to immerse yourself once again in all the highs and lows of life in a gigging band.
I returned to playing properly myself only a few months ago and my first gig for nearly 14 years is on july 30th. :)
At the moment I still think I did the right thing, I hope you feel the same!
MM

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1294738' date='Jul 6 2011, 01:55 PM']Well done on the comeback, I know it takes a good deal of thought and consideration to immerse yourself once again in all the highs and lows of life in a gigging band.
I returned to playing properly myself only a few months ago and my first gig for nearly 14 years is on july 30th. :)
At the moment I still think I did the right thing, I hope you feel the same!
MM[/quote]

Good luck with the up and coming gig.
Keep us all posted on how it went.

Thanks
Dave

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1294677' date='Jul 6 2011, 01:08 PM']I moved house 30 mile away from the band & don't have the funds to keep going down to rehearse.
So lack of seeing them means not much gets done :)

I'm considering starting a new band in Perth but haven't decided if I should & if so whether it'll be an originals rock or acoustic, a covers band to do parties & weddings (money driven of course), or if I should start a Dubstep/DnB outfit.

The covers option is appealing for the money & the DnB for the sheer enjoyment.[/quote]

Yep know the fealing. I'm 35miles from Glasgow for reahearsals so its a 5 hour reahearsal incl travel. Takes up most of the day but at this stage i think its worth it.
The travel to rehearsals will be a bit of a pain but they only rehearse every 2 wks at moment but rather than rehearse every week we have agreed to up the rehearsal time from 3 hrs to 6 hrs as we progress towards gigging level.

Gives me time to work on songs on my own without too much travelling.

I went for the rock band covers option mainly because i enjoy it. I've done the originals band yrs ago and although it was good it takes a fair bit of time to build up "your" audience whereas a covers normally has a varied audience so you can get a reasonable response from most venues provided you are good at what you are doing.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1294038' date='Jul 5 2011, 10:09 PM']After reading many threads on bass players returning to play in bands again i decided it was time to get back on the road myself after a 15yr gap.
Found a fully formed rock band who were looking for a replacement bass player. (Vox, Gtr, keys, drms) all ex-pros with good gear and very competent musicians.
Quite daunting in itself. !
Learned the audition tracks, went for the audition / rehearsal and was offered the job there and then.
I was over the moon and great to be playing with a full band again. I realised just how much i had missed being part of a band.
The band were delighted so i guess polishing up on my technique and learning new styles during my absence must have paid off after all.

The best part is we all thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon session.
If it wasn't for all you guys in the B.C. family i probably wouldn't have bothered looking so many thanks to all who read this

PS a special mention to Cetera. Saw them live in Lanark and thought " i wanna play live again" Thanks mate.

Cheers
Dave
:)[/quote]

Post of the day. Brought a smile, good to see someone so enthused :)