Why become a member? ×

Fretless Bass

Blademan_98

i play fretless at home, but haven't yet live. i enjoy it as a change and it's nice to get a new set of skills under your belt, but i'm not virtuoso.

[i]never[/i] go for the jaco honk tho...but then i never use bridge pickups on basses anyway !

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='1286261' date='Jun 29 2011, 11:50 AM']Of course - why would you not?

You don't avoid having a screwdriver in your tool box because you already have a hammer.[/quote]
You do if you're a carpenter :)

My second bass was defretted, I bought it like it. Very good bass and really nice to play.

I learnt to play fretless about 7 years ago because I could hear fretless bass would be perfect in the songs that the band I had just joined had written. I got a cheap fretless off eBay and went from using it on one song at our first gig to having fretless bass on over 3/4 of the set six months later and a nice Pedulla Buzz to play them on.

At the moment fretless bass doesn't really suit either of the band I play in, but that doesn't mean I won't be using it again in the future.

I wouldn't use a fretless in my band either, as much as I like them. For fast rock/punk the attack of the note on a fretted bass just fits better IMO. I've tried with both a fretless Warwick in an indie rock band years ago, and a fretless P more recently, and it detracted more than it added to the sound.

[quote name='Wil' post='1286413' date='Jun 29 2011, 01:51 PM']I wouldn't use a fretless in my band either, as much as I like them. For fast rock/punk the attack of the note on a fretted bass just fits better IMO. I've tried with both a fretless Warwick in an indie rock band years ago, and a fretless P more recently, and it detracted more than it added to the sound.[/quote]

Well, it depends. Did you try some compression or overdrive? Did you use a plectrum? I ask as you can still get some nice attack out of a fretless without too much hassle.

Nope, I just switched back to my fretted and got the sound I wanted without messing about :)

They do sound different, naturally, and you'll never make a fretless sound exactly like a fretted bass. You can get close, but if the tone you want is a "fretted" tone, then there's little point messing about IMO. I'd rather make use of fretless in a genre where it can shine doing it's own thing.

I got hold of a Warwick ridiculously cheap. It was a bit battered so I defretted it. Really enjoyed playing on it, it's currently in bits awaiting for the combination of money and time to happen. Then I'll upgrade some parts and rebuild it.
In the mean time I have an EUB.

My first bass was a home made fretless, I then had some awful cheap fretted rockson bass, then I got a fretless Ibanez, which gigged loads, but sold in the mid 90s for a fretted 5 string, didn't have that any longer then the gigs I got it for lasted, been fretted 4 string ever since, would love another fretless but really just play with covers bands now, so fretted 4 is really all I need

Played an Ibanez GWB35 last friday.........GAS. The only reason I tried it was that I was in the bass room at Digital Village in Cambridge, and that deadens alot of the sound if you play badly. It only took about five minutes to stop looking at the neck. I Couldn't get a bad sound out of it.

Edited by Batfastard

[quote name='Conan' post='1286332' date='Jun 29 2011, 12:53 PM']What's the difference between "no" and "not tried"? :)[/quote]

I think I was trying to see who is a definate NO and who just hadn't had the chance but would like to.

(and it was late at night and I should have been asleep instead of noodling on my fretless and posting poll's on BC)

But as you say, what's the difference :)

This might be slightly off topic-ing but ......

If you had a set that required half fretless sound and half fretted but only used 1 bass, would you use a fretted or fretless, and what effect would you use to create the fake sound

I only ask as I play a few numbers which really would sound great on a fretless and it got me wondering

[quote name='lojo' post='1286775' date='Jun 29 2011, 06:22 PM']This might be slightly off topic-ing but ......

If you had a set that required half fretless sound and half fretted but only used 1 bass, would you use a fretted or fretless, and what effect would you use to create the fake sound

I only ask as I play a few numbers which really would sound great on a fretless and it got me wondering[/quote]
Buy this, perhaps? Fretted E, A, D, G strings plus additional fretless D, G strings. Thump and mwah in one (to me, frankly confusing) package. A thought though ...

[url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pre-owned/ibanez-ashula-pre-owned/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pr...hula-pre-owned/[/url]

only just bought my first fretless a couple of months ago and reasonably pleased - only went for something low end first to make sure i was happy with my playing style etc so i picked up a nice little vintage fretless from 'the bay' for a small bargain as didnt want to lash out a grand or more on something lush and then decide fretless wasnt for me - saying that tho whilst the vintage is not a bad instrument per se i think it is very good value for the money i doubt very much ill be using it as a giggin bass simply because i dont find the body that comfortable to hold and will probs go for a fretless precision eventually - after ive tracked down my old status and negotiated its return :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1286779' date='Jun 29 2011, 06:28 PM']Buy this, perhaps? Fretted E, A, D, G strings plus additional fretless D, G strings. Thump and mwah in one (to me, frankly confusing) package. A thought though ...

[url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pre-owned/ibanez-ashula-pre-owned/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pr...hula-pre-owned/[/url][/quote]

ha, just when I thought Id seen it all

Not for me, but interesting

I love my fretless and use it almost exclusively :)

The 5 string fretless will be up for sale soon and I will get another 4 fretless as a backup.

The Viola will have to remain as my youngest daughter loves it and wants to play it :)

Not really interested in fretted basses any more.

Used to be intimidated by fretless. Bought a cheap one off ebay to overcome the fear. Quite enjoyed it and got a good sound at band practices but never gigged with it. Sold it on but will definitely treat myself to another quality fretless in the future.