Why become a member? ×

Best lightweight microhead for Ampeg/Growl sound

Shockwave

Hey guys.

In my continuing need for downsizing, I have decided to get a new lightweight and small head, I want it to sound as Ampegy as possible. I know Ampeg have made a microhead recently, but I was thinking on getting something thats up for sale in our classifieds quite often! Built in compressor would be awesome!

Otherwise, How about a transparant sounding amp that will work well with my Sansamp VT Bass Deluxe?

What can you recommend?

Rob.

The 2 lightweight amps I know are TC and Markbass. I would easily recommend both of those males but I wouldn't expect either to sound exactly like an Ampeg. They sound like themselves, which is good.

Edited by chris_b

Bassists are spoilt for choice when it comes to small heads now, the choice is mind-boggling! Not sure about getting the 'Ampeg' sound other than getting an Ampeg. Have you considered the Gallien Krueger MB series heads, or the SWR Headlite series, the Ibanez Promethean or Eden heads? A lot to choose from. If it's a tube growl that you're after, maybe a small head with Sansamp DI Driver preamp might get you close?

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1280693' date='Jun 24 2011, 11:04 AM']Bassists are spoilt for choice when it comes to small heads now, the choice is mind-boggling! Not sure about getting the 'Ampeg' sound other than getting an Ampeg. Have you considered the Gallien Krueger MB series heads, or the SWR Headlite series, the Ibanez Promethean or Eden heads? A lot to choose from. If it's a tube growl that you're after, maybe a small head with Sansamp DI Driver preamp might get you close?[/quote]

See i would go for the Ampeg PF500 but it only has a MOSFET pre-amp stage, was hoping for something with a Valve pre. I have tried GK before and have been quite impressed, but havent tried that exact model.

I do have my sansamp VT bass deluxe, but would rather have the sound "Built-in" to the head.

This is why Sansamp need to make a Microamp themselves.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='1280696' date='Jun 24 2011, 11:06 AM']See i would go for the Ampeg PF500 but it only has a MOSFET pre-amp stage, was hoping for something with a Valve pre. I have tried GK before and have been quite impressed, but havent tried that exact model.

I do have my sansamp VT bass deluxe, but would rather have the sound "Built-in" to the head.

This is why Sansamp need to make a Microamp themselves.[/quote]

Would you look at the Terror Bass?

Valve pre isn't going to help you. SVT preamp is super complicated and just putting valves in doesn't do it. Valves are just mojo, the circuit gives the tone, you just end up with a more expensive not the same circuit with a different sound, and more colouration to take you away from the sound of the VT bass, which does do what you want.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1280719' date='Jun 24 2011, 11:17 AM']Valve pre isn't going to help you. SVT preamp is super complicated and just putting valves in doesn't do it. Valves are just mojo, the circuit gives the tone, you just end up with a more expensive not the same circuit with a different sound, and more colouration to take you away from the sound of the VT bass, which does do what you want.[/quote]

True, hence why I bought a power amp to put the VT Bass through. However I figured, if I can get somethine super lightweight that can do clean stuff, with a pre-amp In or an effects loop, I can also plug the Sansamp into it when I need the SVT tone.

If you like the Ampeg sound, try the PF500.

I love the Ampeg sound, but couldn`t deal with the weight of their regular amps, so looking for lightweight heads, I`ve had the Orange Terror, and then the TC Classic 450. Both great amps, but as soon as I heard the PF500, I bought it straight off.

Its my favourite amp that I`ve ever had. Ampeg sounding, and I can carry it in a lap-top style case.

I've had two Markbass heads now, and I really like them. The F1 is probably the most musical sounding head I've owned - I've not used a Sansamp or similar with it yet. I'm not sure I really need to - despite being clean, it just sounds better (clearer, warmer, punchier) than my previous sansamp/poweramp rig in a rock mix. I would imagine it would pair well with a VT, though.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1280674' date='Jun 24 2011, 10:53 AM']The Ampeg PF500 is only £299 at Andertons ATM.[/quote]

exactly , not sure what else you will get 2nd hand at that cost to meet your requests

they wont be that price for long

Personally I think you'll do best with one of those EA heads, the one that's less than 1kg!
It's pretty transparent and through the right cab can sound pretty big.

Or similarly the markbass F1 which is light and thin, with the sansamp infront of that or just straight into the power section should fit your needs.

I have the Gallien MB Fusion (valve pre micro amp) and it's awesome. I was only in Bristol with it last week too.

I fit the head, 2 kettle leads, 2 speakons, 2 jack-jacks, my wireless system (including power lead and two patch leads) and the footswitch for the amp into a laptop case and I have the big front pocket spare.

It sounds great IMO, does everything from beefy fatness through to full on gritty distortion through to clear and spanky, all without losing the definition. It's one of those amps IMO that you can't get a bad tone out of, it certainly does some that won't be suited to every kind of music, but I've never had a tone out of it that I've thought "that sounds bad".

If you're ever up this way, feel free to come give it a blast. It's a shame you didn't put this up a couple of weeks ago or you could've had a play when I was in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

**Sigh**

Really on the fence about this. Not sure what to do! Looks like money is becoming a bit of a factor as well. I am missing my SVT AV so much! Ahah!

It might have to be the Ampeg PF-500 though I cant get them for 300 anymore!

Never seen those amps before, I wonder how they compare to the Micro VR and the B100R combos...

EDIT: Found this on Talkbass:

[quote]The 350 incorporates the Micro-VR's preamp and pairs it with a 350-watt class-D output section. The 500 borrows heavily from the 7Pro, but drops the tube, and adds some of the "tube emulation" from the Micro-VR.[/quote]

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Shockwave' post='1297850' date='Jul 8 2011, 11:52 PM']Bah, put a down payment on the Ampeg PF500, Had a go at the one in PMT. Sounded good enough!

:_[/quote]

You won`t be sorry, I love mine, they sound great live, and amazing when recorded through the DI.