Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder basses... behold the SR JAZZ!

mcnach

Well, not exactly a Sue Ryder Jazz bass...
It's not in fact a Sue Ryder... just the neck of one.
It's not really a Jazz... the neck is P-style.

But in a practical sense, it will be a Jazz bass. Just don't go near it of you can only tolerate pencil thin necks. :)

I got a cheap used Jazz body from some unknown bass. Thick red paint and sealer... how do I know? it has a few bumps. It's not pristine. But it'll work.
I had this SR neck leftover and I figured I could use another Jazz, to put flats on. It is not my only Jazz bass project, there's another one in the works with a Squier body, but this one is still a bit farther from realisation.

Anyway, I know what I want it to look like. It's the reason I especifically chose a red body. But I thought I'd open a poll, Talkbass style :) about what configuration people here like best.

So here it is.

#1 with a tortoiseshell pickguard and cream pickup covers.
#2 with a tortoiseshell pickguard and black pickup covers.
#3 no pickguard, and cream covers
#4 no pickguard, black covers.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1252954' date='Jun 1 2011, 05:57 PM']I choose 1... but you know which will win.[/quote]

yeah, I'm a bit undecided between #1 and the one that will win, which is my original intention.

I was surprised to find the neck pickup route was quite decent. But I'm not a big fan of pickguardless Jazz basses.

If I was doing a modded/bitsa Fender style bass, I'd want it to stand out and be a bit individual (hence why I voted 3).

I'm kinda surprised that such a high proportion of people would go for the "off the shelf Fender copy" look. TBH though, they're all ok but I know where my personal preference lies!

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1253395' date='Jun 2 2011, 12:45 AM']I voted #2 as expected but if you put a cream pearl pickguard on it then I'll vote #1[/quote]
+1 for this, but I kinda like the contrast between this and the black pickup covers

Edited by Bottle

[quote name='dc2009' post='1253691' date='Jun 2 2011, 10:45 AM']Cream pickup covers remind me of toilets in France, no idea why.[/quote]

:)

not sure if it's toilets in France what it makes me think of, but there's something... "off" there, isn't it? yet, alluring. :)

cream guard with cream pickup covers sounds interesting too, hmmm.

I think the voting system is unfair, I want an alternative vote rather than first past the post. Minority basses are being discriminated against - even if 2 is clearly a winner. Pickups should be blacker than a black hole and absorb light. My Kramer's cream pu covers are just an anomaly of nature.

[quote name='3below' post='1254702' date='Jun 2 2011, 10:14 PM']I think the voting system is unfair, I want an alternative vote rather than first past the post. Minority basses are being discriminated against - even if 2 is clearly a winner. Pickups should be blacker than a black hole and absorb light. My Kramer's cream pu covers are just an anomaly of nature.[/quote]

it's only to give an impression of democracy and keep the masses busy. This is a dictatorship and the decision has already been taken :)