Why become a member? ×

1967 Fender Bass V

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130526321616"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=130526321616[/url]

I like the spammy sale title. But hey... it's one of the few Fenders that probably [i]would[/i] deserve the whole ***RARE*** L@@K treatment, so I guess it's a little toned down from there. :)

That's a truly [i][b]wonderful [/b][/i]listing - I love it.

Belongs to relative - check
Vendor doesn't play bass - check
Stored in loft - check
Largely untested - check
No provenance - check
Sold as a "player's guitar" - check
Irrelevant mention of James Jamerson - check

I look forward to his next listing with interest.

:)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1249996' date='May 30 2011, 10:37 AM']Maybe I'm a complete sap, but that V looks alright to me, apart from the bridge cover. Ad's a bit over-caveatted, perhaps.[/quote]

That was sort of how I felt as well; 100% positive on over 1000 transactions should count for something!

And I thought that bridge cover is correct for this bass?

I would say that the Bass V is a pretty hard bass to create a forgery of. Apart from its relative obscurity which transcends rarity to the point where most people don't even know what it is (or think it's fake anyway) and it's never been reissued - a 15 fret neck with 5 in line headstock isn't exactly an "off-the-shelf" piece.

[quote name='walbassist' post='1250072' date='May 30 2011, 11:23 AM']That was sort of how I felt as well; 100% positive on over 1000 transactions should count for something!

And I thought that bridge cover is correct for this bass?[/quote]
I think the bridge cover is correct. It looks real to me.

The question would be over whether the seller actually has such a rare bass but the feedback is excellent.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1250100' date='May 30 2011, 11:38 AM']I think the bridge cover is correct. It looks real to me.

The question would be over whether the seller actually has such a rare bass but the feedback is excellent.[/quote]

Exactly. I hope it really is real.

As an aside, when I was at the new Wal workshop not so long ago, Paul was doing a white refin on a Bass V. My first thought when I saw this bass was that this was it, but I guess not unless it has been reliced.

It's got to be real - you don't want to go forge something that never took off first time around.

Collectors will like it, bit as a player's place? Nah - sorry Leo, it was one of the rare failures (imo) in an otherwise excellent range of innovations.

Edited by The Bass Doc

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1250115' date='May 30 2011, 11:49 AM']It's got to be real - you don't want to go forge something that never took off first time around.

Collectors will like it, bit as a player's place? Nah - sorry Leo, it was one of the rare failures (imo) in an otherwise excellent range of innovations.[/quote]

Agree, this is collectors only piece, not great to play, and the 5'ers among you wouldnt be tempted after a play, it wouldnt compare to a cheapo new 5 string bass.

They are quite scarce though, especially in the uk, the bridge cover is correct, its missing the equally important, and impossible to find, pickup cover, which would be an issue for me, as a collector. Personally, if i [i]was[/i] to buy one, which i would, it would be the earlier dot neck sunburst model. Not a big fan of later block necks, on any fender bass if i'm honest.

Does the finish look original on this?, the headstock has the expected nitro checking, but the body has none, not sure, could be a well looked after original poly job.

The seller is about 5 mile from me (even closer to cd_david) though I have no idea who said seller is! 'IF' anyone was serious about this and they want me to check that the guy actually possesses it, give me a shout; though I would have to stress, I give no guarantee that I can verify authenticity of a vintage Fender V (though after 30 years of playing, I can probably spot the glaringly obvious)! :)

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1250974' date='May 30 2011, 11:47 PM']Agree, this is collectors only piece, not great to play, and the 5'ers among you wouldnt be tempted after a play, it wouldnt compare to a cheapo new 5 string bass.[/quote]

I don't care, I've always wanted one an if I had the money I'd buy it just to find out exactly how sh*t it was :)

Years ago I had a huge list of basses I wanted to play and now its down to a couple having been fortunate to have owned and played nearly all of them. This is still one of the ones I would still love to own.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1249920' date='May 30 2011, 09:31 AM']The "Economy Delivery" postage price is a bit :) !!![/quote]
Yep. To be fair though, the courier insurance for something of that value (assuming it goes noticeably higher than its current £1k) will be very expensive... and it probably won't even be covered anyway under the insurance T&Cs. :)

I'd collect in person, even if it wasn't local. No way would I let that bass get into the hands of UPS or TNT... and they're the guys I [i]trust[/i] with instruments. Imagine what HDNL would do to it.

[quote name='walbassist' post='1250072' date='May 30 2011, 11:23 AM']And I thought that bridge cover is correct for this bass?[/quote]
Oh, it's probably [i]correct[/i]. I just don't like bridge covers. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1252670' date='Jun 1 2011, 01:44 PM']I'm saying £2.9k followed by a generous helping of buyer's remorse, resulting in a non-paying winner and then a relisting next week.

And then £1.8k the second time round.

If all that comes to pass, it'll totally freak me out.[/quote]

That is probbaly true!! :)

I thought it would go for £1800 tops.

they dont appear very often, but for £2.5k, you can get a rarer, and nicer (IMHO), first series, dot neck in sunburst......with the impossible to replace pickup cover.

I think this is a refin anyway.

If 2 people are looking for a white block neck though, then it could get sillier than it is already.....

Frightening to see that something only a few days older than me can be seen as "rare" and "highly desirable". :)

The Missus would be pleased to see that the value is increasing, however poorly it compares with newer models. :)

Thanks for the ego boost! Thought I might be getting "past it" :lol: