Why become a member? ×

Playing Sober

awdl22125

hmm. tell that to jimmy page.[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1249671' date='May 29 2011, 09:14 PM']I have always played sober,and frankly,I think anyone who is not at their best as a result of intoxication is doing their audience - and themselves - a disservice.I have played the odd gig speeding my t*ts off,but that's a whole different topic.[/quote]

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1249671' date='May 29 2011, 09:14 PM']I have always played sober,and frankly,I think anyone who is not at their best as a result of intoxication is doing their audience - and themselves - a disservice.I have played the odd gig speeding my t*ts off,but that's a whole different topic.[/quote]

What about anyone who IS at their best as a result of intoxication?

I'm one of the main drivers (carrying me, my gear, the guitarist, his gear, the PA) in the band so I find it easier not to drink any alcohol.

Not before or during, because I KNOW it makes me lose time and groove.

Not after, because I don't fancy adding alcohol to the mix of driving around, knackered, at 2.30 in the morning in the surprisingly crowded streets of Saff Lunnon in a heavily laden vehicle.

Like others here, lime and soda is my gigging tipple of choice. The rawk'n'roll lifestyle eh?

Cheers

Graham

[quote name='4000' post='1249726' date='May 29 2011, 10:21 PM']What about anyone who IS at their best as a result of intoxication?[/quote]

Some bands I've seen are at their best when my world is spinning. Whitesnake would be one of those, seriously glad I don't remember much of their set. :)

[quote name='Michaelg' post='1249817' date='May 30 2011, 12:08 AM']not a good idea to drink before you go on, it makes your timing sloppy and has a negative effect on your voice[/quote]

I believe no pint makes me jumpy and early. One pint gets me in the groove. Two pints makes my timing sloppy.

That is just my opinion based upon my own experience.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1249192' date='May 29 2011, 02:15 PM']never felt the need to have a drink when I'm at work.[/quote]
Wish I had your job then, I'm always craving a cold pint about 10 minutes after I get in.

To be honest I'd love a job where I could drink and smoke whenever I wanted. And no retarded uniform/ dress code.
Why I love gigging, my ultimate job, i hate the fact my degree is gonna land me in some office with a bunch of stick up their arse w***ers telling me what to do.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1249266' date='May 29 2011, 03:12 PM']Not many comments from any Irish folk band/drinking songs bass players yet?[/quote]

That would be me then.....

I might have a weak shandy during a gig, usually before playing but would only drink tonic water and lime from then on. We would leave the drinking to the punters! I could take or leave the shandy to be honest.

There's the drive home afterwards to think about.

The trick to playing after /during a few beers is to rehearse after / during a few beers.

Anything that revolves around a dexterous / repeated action is the same.

I am BY FAR a better pool player when quite p!ssed. I've won a couple of a tournaments whilst happily drinking my way through 8 pints or so. I'm can be quite crap when sober - I never play the game that way.

Surely it's ultimately up to the individual? I thought the point was to play music because you enjoy it (stagefright aside :)). Of course if you're a pro sideman or some sort of function band then different rules apply, but otherwise who cares if you're sober or not? If you're crap the audience will likely vote with their feet. Of course at most pub gigs the audience is at least twice as drunk as the band so how will they tell? :)

Playing in the 90's it was usual that we had set up and soundchecked just before the doors of the pub/club opened, and not wanting to leave the gear for people to pinch we stayed with it. so as there was nothing to do but wait for a couple of hours we would have a drink or five. listened back to some of the tapes we did and they sound fine except for the guitarist with his occasional bum note (he would go to pieces on stage). twenty years later and coming up for our first reunion gig i dont think i'll be drinking at all, just cant cope with it now.

Edited by wez

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1250582' date='May 30 2011, 06:15 PM']I've only ever once had a few drinks before a (guitar) gig. It was like playing the thing at arms length, and I can remember struggling to stay tight, all the while fighting the tone that I'd not been able to set up properly and a guitar that wouldn't respond like it should. Quite horrible.[/quote]

That sounds like me [i]without[/i] a drink. :)

Following on from my earlier post, in one of my first bands, we actually used to pay people to drive us to the rehearsal room, drink cans for about an hour, then start to rehearse, and tape it, to hear where the mistakes were. We did this as we figured there was no way we would be able to not drink at gigs, so may as well be well practiced at playing drunk. In some bizarre way, this made sense to us at the time.

Edited by Lozz196