Why become a member? ×

why so much slap?

dub

After doing a google search of some basses, I was struck by how many you tube posts come up with people playing slap.

While it's great that someone takes the time to make a video demonstrating a bass, the vast majority are non stop slap.
I'd just like to hear a bit of everything, a few notes longer than 20ms, some eclectic bass styles.

And why do so many people miss out their heads in these youtube clips.

Are they ashamed? Is slap bass illegal in some countries?

[quote name='dub' post='1247103' date='May 27 2011, 02:08 PM']After doing a google search of some basses, I was struck by how many you tube posts come up with people playing slap.

While it's great that someone takes the time to make a video demonstrating a bass, the vast majority are non stop slap.
I'd just like to hear a bit of everything, a few notes longer than 20ms, some eclectic bass styles.

And why do so many people miss out their heads in these youtube clips.

Are they ashamed? Is slap bass illegal in some countries?[/quote]
Because they think that slapping shows off their (often weak) chops.

[quote name='dub' post='1247103' date='May 27 2011, 02:08 PM']And why do so many people miss out their heads in these youtube clips.

Are they ashamed? Is slap bass illegal in some countries?[/quote]
This thread needs a poll... "Should slap bass be illegal?" :)

[quote name='dub' post='1247103' date='May 27 2011, 02:08 PM']And why do so many people miss out their heads in these youtube clips.[/quote]

If you saw my head you wouldn't need to ask. However you won't see it because I miss it out!
I never think the camera catches what I really look like and I look awful on camera. My wife tells me that is exactly what I look like but I am sure she is only joking...

There remains a gunslinger mentality out there and YouTube is a great place for delusional people to shoot themselves in the foot. People who have an inflated opinion of their own abilities used to remain in splendid isolation, stood in front of a mirror, until they proved their worth and got a gig. Now they are given access to the whole world and can make themselves look completely stupid in front of millions. THAT's why they don't show their faces :)

Probably because it's relatively easy to sound half decent at it (to a non-player) and it makes the bass sound a lot more distinct than played any other way.

When looking for sound samples I like it when they simply play the same riff but with each of the different pickup/EQ options enabled, this will actually tell me what it will sound like - not some machinegun racket of someone trying to be Victor Wooten.

There should be an unwritten rule that nobody slaps more than 2 bars....or they get slapped.

2 bars is tantilising enough..the rest is rammed down your throat and a big yawn... IMO.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Machines' post='1247132' date='May 27 2011, 02:23 PM']When looking for sound samples I like it when they simply play the same riff but with each of the different pickup/EQ options enabled, this will actually tell me what it will sound like - not some machinegun racket of someone trying to be Victor Wooten.[/quote]

Yeah the only bassist on YouTube who demos basses well is Ed Friedland, because he concentrates on demoing the bass not himself.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='1247109' date='May 27 2011, 02:11 PM']I never got the slap fixation, it's just one of many ways to play bass, fingerstyle, pick, tapping are all equally as important and valid, and a good player should be well versed in them all.[/quote]

+1

only slap riff i've bother to play is 'don't shop' by the chilli's, just have very little interest in it

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1247141' date='May 27 2011, 02:28 PM']Yeah the only bassist on YouTube who demos basses well is Ed Friedland, because he concentrates on demoing the bass not himself.[/quote]
+1. Ed is an absolutely legend, I've messaged him before to thank him for no BS in his reviews.

I play slap in my bedroom and not on youtube (or live if I can help it though it has been used sparingly in some of my material I have written in bands of the past), I'm just not good enough at it. If I could double thumb like vic wooten, or had an american-sized ego and thought I could, I'd probably show off my chops to the world too.

I have to say I'm not a fan of showing off for showing off's sake, on youtube or anywhere, although a drummer mate of mine did post up a very popular drums cover of Capillarian Crest by Mastodon, which he does play better than the average bear, so perhaps it's alright!

[quote name='dub' post='1247103' date='May 27 2011, 02:08 PM']After doing a google search of some basses, I was struck by how many you tube posts come up with people playing slap.

While it's great that someone takes the time to make a video demonstrating a bass, the vast majority are non stop slap.[/quote]

It's because serial slappers have a lot more time on their hands...

:)