Why become a member? ×

why so much slap?

dub

While Ed is a fantastic player and an eloquent and knowledgeable person, I'm not entirely sure how much use the tonal side of his reviews are, since IMO his tonal personality tends to overshadow that of the bass.

This was very much brought home to me in his review of the Lightwave bass which is an instrument that I also own. His review was technically good but when he was playing the bass it sounded absolutely nothing like my Lightwave when I play it. To me it sounded as though Ed had spent most of his time dialling in his favourite standard bass tone, so to a certain extent he had made it sound more like the other basses I've seen him review. On the other hand when I use the Lightwave I'm looking for the sounds it can give me that I can't get out of my other basses (otherwise I'd probably be using them).

This is why I think that sound clips are of limited use when evaluating as bass without playing it since they are too influenced by the player in both their style and their tonal likes and dislikes.

Sorry to be so far Off Topic...

[quote name='skej21' post='1247625' date='May 27 2011, 09:44 PM']...
Back to the topic. I like slap done well, but the stereotypical 'RHCP - Higher Ground' root-octave stuff bores me senseless. Flea is a fantastic bass player when he plays fingerstyle![/quote]

Have a listen to the original by Stevie Wonder.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1248712' date='May 28 2011, 09:59 PM']I always have ed friedland in mind whenever I review a bass. I want to hear how versatile it is tonally and then pick my favorite/necessary tones from there.[/quote]
I love Ed but he has cost me a fortune buying all the gear he has reviewed! Him and MarloweDK owe me about £7k between them :)

that might be the case from the Lightwave bass review, but its not the case with other basses hes reviewed..imo.. most of the time i come away with a good impression of his reviews.. and learned everything from the reviewed instrument...

i think hes usually an excellent reviewer whos comprehensive in his opinions and reviewing style..

I'm perhaps the only person on the whole bass-playing internet who finds Ed Friedland's reviews utterly tedious, I don't know why but when he speaks it's like it's a different (and very boring) language. I also don't find his soundclips very helpful - the ones I've managed to sit through sound so coloured by room, mic, recording quality etc that I just can't get a frame of reference to usefully assess what I hear.

I know it's off topic and no-one else will agree but saying that feels cathartic! You can all ridicule me now.

Anyway, Stevie's mu-tronned clavinet beasts Flea's 80s slap any day of the week.

Edited by LawrenceH

My two penneth worth is that slap is like swearing, put it in context in a good piece of work and its absolutely fine and dandy. But when you go to a long awaited bass show in London and hear 50 frustrated drummers all slapping the hell out of the equipment it is really, really bad.

The bass is an organic instrument to me, it is very expressive, it has its own voice, and overdoing the slap you might as well have bought a washboard!

It is a technique, it is valid, but keep it in context and like super powers, use it sparingly!

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1248840' date='May 29 2011, 01:24 AM']I'm perhaps the only person on the whole bass-playing internet who finds Ed Friedland's reviews utterly tedious, I don't know why but when he speaks it's like it's a different (and very boring) language. I also don't find his soundclips very helpful - the ones I've managed to sit through sound so coloured by room, mic, recording quality etc that I just can't get a frame of reference to usefully assess what I hear.

I know it's off topic and no-one else will agree but saying that feels cathartic! You can all ridicule me now.

Anyway, Stevie's mu-tronned clavinet beasts Flea's 80s slap any day of the week.[/quote]
I respect your opinion, Your wrong but I respect it still :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1249677' date='May 29 2011, 09:18 PM']My iPod allowed your and it has again? It's and That's etc all get corrected? Ha. You can tell if I'm the laptop or the iPod from my spelling and punctuation.[/quote]

Annoying isn't it..... Really bugs me.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1249528' date='May 29 2011, 07:10 PM'][url="http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Free-shipping-The-best-selling-One-color-shell-carving-flower-electric-guitar-neck-ibnaez-7v/114116-2052371.html#"]http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Free-shi...6-2052371.html#[/url][/quote]WHAT WE NEED IS MORE POST LEVEL 42 TUNELESS SLAP.

:)

[quote name='steve-bbb' post='1248140' date='May 28 2011, 12:27 PM']...ungainly mark king thrashing around ...[/quote]

Has MK got that poor a reputation? I'm pretty familiar with L42 stuff and I'm not sure he's the slapaholic he's painted to be. In the very early days, quite possibly he was and that'll be where the perception comes from, but as the albums went on I wouldn't say the bass was that high in the mix really and I always found him to be one of those players that really reined it in. Live though, it may be another story I suppose.

[quote name='hairyhaw' post='1249802' date='May 29 2011, 11:39 PM']Has MK got that poor a reputation? I'm pretty familiar with L42 stuff and I'm not sure he's the slapaholic he's painted to be. In the very early days, quite possibly he was and that'll be where the perception comes from, but as the albums went on I wouldn't say the bass was that high in the mix really and I always found him to be one of those players that really reined it in. Live though, it may be another story I suppose.[/quote]

Flea hasnt really done any machine gun stuff for about 25 years either but thats life. Most Flea slap since about 1991 has been steady melodic slap or percussive finger style rather than slap at all. Thats why he is better than MK :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1249655' date='May 29 2011, 09:07 PM']I respect your opinion, Your wrong but I respect it still :)[/quote]

:) fair enough! When I somehow win that lottery thing I never bother entering, I'll self-indulgently set up my own review site to test gear and see if I can do a better job...(shouldn't be hard :lol: ) In the interestes of fairness I'll demo each one fingerstyle and slap. Pick players can go fly kites though.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1250009' date='May 30 2011, 10:44 AM']:) fair enough! When I somehow win that lottery thing I never bother entering, I'll self-indulgently set up my own review site to test gear and see if I can do a better job...(shouldn't be hard :) ) In the interestes of fairness I'll demo each one fingerstyle and slap. Pick players can go fly kites though.[/quote]

The thing is that you will never be able to convey correctly what any bass sounds like over YouTube. For 1 YouTube compress videos terribly, another thing is that you will either be listening to the bid through tiny cheap monitors or your headphones. You can only really get a sense of bass sound when next to a full ranged cab.

I like ed friedland but I don't like how he will always boost mids and bass(if he can) which to me just chokes the sound.

At the end of the day you should base your opinions on a bass on some douche on YouTube, you will only know what a bass is like when it's in your own hands.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1250032' date='May 30 2011, 11:01 AM']The thing is that you will never be able to convey correctly what any bass sounds like over YouTube. For 1 YouTube compress videos terribly, another thing is that you will either be listening to the bid through tiny cheap monitors or your headphones. You can only really get a sense of bass sound when next to a full ranged cab.

I like ed friedland but I don't like how he will always boost mids and bass(if he can) which to me just chokes the sound.

At the end of the day you should base your opinions on a bass on some douche on YouTube, you will only know what a bass is like when it's in your own hands.[/quote]

True enough about youtube compression, but there are some videos on there that get a lot closer. I listen on decent headphones, which are the same as the ones I practice with at home, so I know how they translate to a rig pretty well. Plus I like the bass tone on a lot of recordings, which I always listen to via 'phones or hifi speakers, my aim is always for my rig to sound like that but 'bigger'!
But if he boosts the bass routinely that explains a lot, that'll eat up most of the headroom on the video. I can't see the sense in demoing a bass through anything other than a completely flat, clean DI (maybe a very transparent compressor if converting to a lossy format).

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1249707' date='May 29 2011, 09:52 PM']WHAT WE NEED IS MORE POST LEVEL 42 TUNELESS SLAP.

:)[/quote]

Here's the REAL deal.

Mr Mark King. I'll always love this fella.

It's quite a long video but worth watching.

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1249707' date='May 29 2011, 09:52 PM']WHAT WE NEED IS MORE POST LEVEL 42 TUNELESS SLAP.

:)[/quote]

Now there is some textbook 'crap slap'. And this is coming from me, a great lover of high speed, triplet heavy slap. That just sounds like a skeleton w***ing in a filing cabinet.