Why become a member? ×

Interesting informative Fretless site

Dave Vader

Good afternoon, Dave...
You are quite right not to mock. All these years waiting for just such a source of invaluable information. If only I had known earlier.
Well at least we now have a definitive reference for all thing fretless. 'It's been a long time coming...' ([i]No, on second thoughts, I shan't finish that quote[/i]...)
:)

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1228630' date='May 12 2011, 12:16 PM']"Bassists such as Eric Clapton David Gilmour Pino Palladino Steve DiGiorgio and Colin Edwin" how amusing.[/quote]
To be fair Gilmour is a pretty good fretless player - he used to use a fretless Jaydee Supernatural. He played it with Kate Bush when she performed "Running up that hill" at the Secret Policemans Ball concert.

Not sure how Clapton got in there though. The way the site reads it sounds like it's been translated from another language - I think they may also mean that fretless bass features in the music of Clapton & Gilmour.

This [i]is[/i] a joke site ... right? Left over from 1st April?

[quote]In 1961 Billy Wyman created the first fretless bass guitar by converting a Japanese fretted bass when he removed the frets.[/quote][quote]The first manufactured fretless bass was the Ampeg followed by AUB-1 and Fender.[/quote][quote]Amongst its most astounding achievements, Rickenbacker is credited with offering the 1st fretless bass.[/quote]
... and the Ibanez page reads like it was lifted straight from one of their catalogues

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1228652' date='May 12 2011, 12:30 PM']the precision was the first fretted bass guitar, wasn't it? hence the name.[/quote]

No... Paul Tutmarc made a fretted bass guitar under the Audiovox brand about
4-5 years before Fender. The Precision was the first commercially successful fretted
bass guitar....but yes,hence the name.

[quote name='bremen' post='1229023' date='May 12 2011, 04:52 PM']I reckon it's someone's college project. As bollocks on the Interwebs goes, it's a drop in the ocean![/quote]

True, but comes up surprisingly high on google when looking for advice on setting up your fretless nut height (which is what I was doing)

My friend works in SEO and has a few of these sites (but not this one). She creates a website with lots of key words on (so it appears high in google) then links to shops where she gets commission for clicks and sales.

Notice all the ebay links? He's probably a third party seller of equipment that asked an SEO organisation to create a path to his shop, hence the bizarre claims/statements.

Dan

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1228613' date='May 12 2011, 11:56 AM']I don't want to be mean and poke fun at somebody's hard work, so I am leaving this link here for you all to have a look.
Time to get rid of those pesky metal spacers kids....

[url="http://www.fretlessbassguitars.com"]http://www.fretlessbassguitars.com[/url][/quote]

:)

is that made with a serious purpose???

the entire first paragraph is a jewel!!!

[quote name='RhysP' post='1228675' date='May 12 2011, 07:41 AM']To be fair Gilmour is a pretty good fretless player - he used to use a fretless Jaydee Supernatural. He played it with Kate Bush when she performed "Running up that hill" at the Secret Policemans Ball concert.[/quote]

David Gilmour didn't play the bass in that particular concert (though he can play fretless). It was Tony Franklin and his Roadie IIA.