Why become a member? ×

Superstition - on the scrounge!!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1224602' date='May 8 2011, 10:24 PM']Has anybody got a transcription for Stevie Wonder's Superstition? It sounds like enough of a technical challenge without having to figure out all the notes as well :)

TIA[/quote]

Hi,

Here is a transcripyopn I found on the net. I hope it helps.
As a matter of interest there is no actual bass on the track it is all played on a synth.
I have the mp3 of the isolated part, which I will dig out and post here when I find it.

Edited by wal4string

I know this isn't what you were looking for but it makes fascinating listening if you're playing Superstition - some original mixes of the song showing how it was put together :)

[url="http://homerecording.about.com/od/mixingyourmusic/a/mixing_superstition.htm"]http://homerecording.about.com/od/mixingyo...uperstition.htm[/url]

[quote name='wal4string' post='1224690' date='May 9 2011, 12:14 AM']As a matter of interest there is no actual bass on the track it is all played on a synth.[/quote]

Is the dude at 0:59 just noodling around practising for the next song then?

[quote name='ZMech' post='1225259' date='May 9 2011, 04:29 PM']Is the dude at 0:59 just noodling around practising for the next song then?

[/quote]

On that Promo video - it looks like 'the Dude' Nathan Watts is playing 'Superstition'
However on the studio version 'The Dude in question' ain't playing nowt.
Another Dude [In this case Stevie Wonder] is playing - Keyboard Bass, who apart from writing and singing great songs,
Had a nose for a melodic nifty left hand Bass line... :)

Sorry, i thought everyone had a good idea of that.
No offence intended of course.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='ZMech' post='1225259' date='May 9 2011, 04:29 PM']Is the dude at 0:59 just noodling around practising for the next song then?

[/quote]
Live version, innit.

Incidentally, this is another song which when covered - for some reason - is frequently played far too fast, losing its soul in the process...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1224806' date='May 9 2011, 09:38 AM']That's great.... I'll have a look later on.

Yeh - I realised it was actually a synth part but I've certainly seen it done on the bass...... at the tricky end of the covers band scene :)[/quote]
Actually, it's really not that hard to pull off once you get the feel right!

As WoT says above, just make sure that you don't try to play it too fast.....

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1225307' date='May 9 2011, 05:08 PM']Incidentally, this is another song which when covered - for some reason - is frequently played far too fast, losing its soul in the process...[/quote]

...And in the wrong key.
Loads of people (read:Guitarists) play it in E minor,but for me,it just feels so much better in Eb minor.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1228326' date='May 12 2011, 01:31 AM']...And in the wrong key.
Loads of people (read:Guitarists) play it in E minor,but for me,it just feels so much better in Eb minor.[/quote]
Unfortunately that makes it impossible to play on a guitar / 4 string bass in standard tuning

Get the feel right and E sounds just fine!

[quote name='peteb' post='1228436' date='May 12 2011, 09:02 AM']Unfortunately that makes it impossible to play on a guitar / 4 string bass in standard tuning[/quote]

I know,but for me it just doesn't 'feel' right.
It's one of those tunes that I never think works when played by a guitar band.It sounds so much better with keys.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1228550' date='May 12 2011, 11:00 AM']I know,but for me it just doesn't 'feel' right.
It's one of those tunes that I never think works when played by a guitar band.It sounds so much better with keys.[/quote]
My own recollections of playing this tune with guitar bands is that audiences want to like the song but get bored of it quickly, so you get a good reaction to the initial riff but you need to do something with the arrangement (or seague into another tune) after the second chorus as they start to get restless!

Of course with keys you have a lot more options to take the song somewhere else.....

[quote name='peteb' post='1229222' date='May 12 2011, 07:39 PM']My own recollections of playing this tune with guitar bands is that audiences want to like the song but get bored of it quickly, so you get a good reaction to the initial riff but you need to do something with the arrangement (or seague into another tune) after the second chorus as they start to get restless!

Of course with keys you have a lot more options to take the song somewhere else.....[/quote]

We're just a pub covers band (with keys) - if the audience recognises it and doesn't actually throw stuff at us then it's all good :)

[quote name='peteb' post='1228436' date='May 12 2011, 09:02 AM']Unfortunately that makes it impossible to play on a guitar / 4 string bass in standard tuning

Get the feel right and E sounds just fine![/quote]

My last band played this in E and it was fine. We had a very good keys player who played most of the bass, with me helping out. He and I worked out a fairly simple bassline for me to play and I have it written down as a scruffy mix of roots and tabs, if anybody wants it. PM me, if so.

Steve

I like playing it on the 5er so I can get Eb Minor without having to worry about downtuning. It's easier to play like that because you don't have to worry about muting the open E if you play it like that.
I love playing Superstition. There's loads of space to funkify it and add little trills and fills. You can play it fingerstyle, with a plectrum (quite hard to get the 'bounce' though) or slap it (thumb pointing up, of course!). Great groove, everybody knows it and it looks really hard so you impress everybody big style. Women will flock to see you get funky!

Trucsktop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1229797' date='May 13 2011, 11:29 AM']I love playing Superstition. There's loads of space to funkify it and add little trills and fills. You can play it fingerstyle, with a plectrum (quite hard to get the 'bounce' though) or slap it (thumb pointing up, of course!). Great groove, everybody knows it and it looks really hard so you impress everybody big style. Women will flock to see you get funky![/quote]

That's another problem with it....it's very easy to want to do lots of little fills and stuff,but it really sits better
when you lay down those Eb crotchets.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1228326' date='May 12 2011, 01:31 AM']...And in the wrong key.
Loads of people (read:Guitarists) play it in E minor,but for me,it just feels so much better in Eb minor.[/quote]
+1 love it in Ebm - sux in Em

our guitarist is always shifting keys around to suit some strange chord voicing or other whim. I Want You Back - Jacksons - should be Ab and sounding great -he shifted it to G. :)

Edited by BottomE

[quote name='Sibob' post='1230065' date='May 13 2011, 03:52 PM']May I put forward my 'guitar bands' effort :)[/quote]

Oh well then... this is one of those moments when I see something so far removed from what I can achieve that I wonder why I bother :)

However, yes, I did manage to make a cup of tea and go to the loo and the introduction was still going!!

[quote name='Sibob' post='1230065' date='May 13 2011, 03:52 PM']May I put forward my 'guitar bands' effort :)
Forgive the extended intro (we have fun with that live), but we mess with the arrangement of the main tune and I think it works!

Si[/quote]

Damned good. Damned depressing.