Why become a member? ×

eBay - Overwater warning

John, is it possible that the damage did occur during transit?
Ok the cracks on the rear of the headstock are visible in the ebay pics but I can't see any sign of the horrible ones that run up the fretboard etc. How well was it packed?

To my horror I saw that that this guy is also in Aberdeen, so I did a wee bit of research and it turns out that the bass was advertised in March/April on our local muso forum for £850 and described as near mint. I can't see that he would describe it like that knowing that a potential buyer would be picking it up in person. The guy that advertised it here is a pretty well known musician on the scene up here from a very busy rock covers band and somehow it doesn't quite fit with the scenario that's unfolding here.
I suppose it's possible that the guy you bought it off may have bought it off the guy who I think it is. Does your guy go by a sort of "rock n roll" name spelled a little like a 12 year old girl might?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1228285' date='May 12 2011, 12:08 AM']John, is it possible that the damage did occur during transit?
Ok the cracks on the rear of the headstock are visible in the ebay pics but I can't see any sign of the horrible ones that run up the fretboard etc. How well was it packed?

To my horror I saw that that this guy is also in Aberdeen, so I did a wee bit of research and it turns out that the bass was advertised in March/April on our local muso forum for £850 and described as near mint. I can't see that he would describe it like that knowing that a potential buyer would be picking it up in person. The guy that advertised it here is a pretty well known musician on the scene up here from a very busy rock covers band and somehow it doesn't quite fit with the scenario that's unfolding here.
I suppose it's possible that the guy you bought it off may have bought it off the guy who I think it is. Does your guy go by a sort of "rock n roll" name spelled a little like a 12 year old girl might?[/quote]

MB1. :)
Elvis Parsley? :)

Hope you get this sorted John! :lol:

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1228285' date='May 12 2011, 12:08 AM']John, is it possible that the damage did occur during transit?

I suppose it's possible that the guy you bought it off may have bought it off the guy who I think it is. Does your guy go by a sort of "rock n roll" name spelled a little like a 12 year old girl might?[/quote]
Honestly I wish it had happened in transit!

When I contacted the guy and initially mentioned the cracks he simply so said 'so what you got it cheap'! At no point did he ask me to describe or photograph the damage; to this day he still hasn't requested to see the pics! However, if you look at the ebay pic of the back of the headstock you can very faintly see two of the worst cracks BUT that is only with hindsight and if you know what you are looking for.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1228285' date='May 12 2011, 12:08 AM']To my horror I saw that that this guy is also in Aberdeen, so I did a wee bit of research and it turns out that the bass was advertised in March/April on our local muso forum for £850 and described as near mint. I can't see that he would describe it like that knowing that a potential buyer would be picking it up in person. The guy that advertised it here is a pretty well known musician on the scene up here from a very busy rock covers band and somehow it doesn't quite fit with the scenario that's unfolding here.
...Does your guy go by a sort of "rock n roll" name spelled a little like a 12 year old girl might?[/quote]
Lets just say that with your heads-up and a little research I've established that your Aberdeen bassist selling an Overwater in this unusual colour shares the same first name with the Aberdeen bassist who sold me an Overwater in the same unusual colour... in the same time scale! I'm not guessing that it is a coincidence but right at this minute I am giving my seller the opportunity to see if someone else in his household has maybe signed for the bass. If that isn't the case and I don't have my refund sometime soon then I'll dig a little deeper into this. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1228381' date='May 12 2011, 07:38 AM']Lets just say that with your heads-up and a little research I've established that your Aberdeen bassist selling an Overwater in this unusual colour shares the same first name with the Aberdeen bassist who sold me an Overwater in the same unusual colour... in the same time scale! I'm not guessing that it is a coincidence but right at this minute I am giving my seller the opportunity to see if someone else in his household has maybe signed for the bass. If that isn't the case and I don't have my refund sometime soon then I'll dig a little deeper into this. :)[/quote]

We could gather a small [i]posse basschatus[/i] and pay him a visit :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1228381' date='May 12 2011, 07:38 AM']Lets just say that with your heads-up and a little research I've established that your Aberdeen bassist selling an Overwater in this unusual colour shares the same first name with the Aberdeen bassist who sold me an Overwater in the same unusual colour... in the same time scale! I'm not guessing that it is a coincidence but right at this minute I am giving my seller the opportunity to see if someone else in his household has maybe signed for the bass. If that isn't the case and I don't have my refund sometime soon then I'll dig a little deeper into this. :)[/quote]
PM replied. :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='1228476' date='May 12 2011, 10:00 AM']We could gather a small [i]posse basschatus[/i] and pay him a visit :)[/quote]
I know your just having a giraffe Matt but I think there may be more to this than meets the eye... I hope there is anyway.

Besides, have you seen the size of him? :)

Latest...

ebay are looking at the proof that I have dispatched the item and are making the right noises that I will be refunded after 10 days from the listing ending has passed.

UPS (Interparcel) have spoken to the driver and confirmed that the item has been signed for by the next door neighbour. Now I don't know about you (and I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the seller here) but if I knew someone had signed for it, I'd have checked family/household members and then knocked on my neighbours door... especially as the tracking details that he has been supplied with (and I know he has looked at these as he has commented that it isn't 'his' name or signature) gives the Christian and surname (not just showing the signature) of the person signing!

Via ebay I've politely asked that he consults with his neighbour and then refunds me before paypal (or my credit card Co.) do, at which point he gets a strike against his name from ebay.

Oh and btw :) I now also know the name of his band, his mobile number and the names of the venues for his next gigs! :)

[quote name='BassBunny' post='1229183' date='May 12 2011, 07:10 PM']Roadtrip :lol:[/quote]

Saying nowt! :)

This is a cracker (and would be fun if it weren't for the threat that I might be £485 worse off), the bass has been delivered to his neighbour at #19 (I dispatched it to #20 as per the seller and ebay's instructions but UPS got a neighbour to accept and sign for it) and his response is this;

[i]'Thanks,i live myself so no other people could have signed for it. As for leaving it with my NEXT DOOR neighbour at number 19 I can assure you i do not have a number 19 next to me so that would be impossible! I also do not know who lives at 19,my number is 21 and the bass should have been sent here. I suggest you recontact the couriers and find out why they said NEXT DOOR,when 19 is not next door,why they hadn't left a card if they said they had and why it was delivered to 19(if indeed it was) and not 21 as it should have been. I also have spoken to Ebay this morning and they agree if it is not my signature then I do not have the bass. Please don't contact me again and we can just let Ebay sort it but should you be reimbursed and I do not have the bass back I shall be pursuing matters with you though a civil court. I am more than willing to provide as many specimin signatures as required to prove that the one the courier has is not mine. Thanks'[/i]

Google maps show that he may well not be exactly telling a lie due to the fact he lives in a block of flats, hence he may well not have a 'next-door' neighbour but #19 is still in the same block of chuffin flats! Now how pedantic can you get and added to which, can you see anywhere in his response any indication that he has been to see or is prepared to see if the neighbour has his bass. Oh and I'm sure that you won't have missed the fact that he is claiming to live @ #21... NOT the address given through ebay.

To put this into some context, my response is below.

"I've read and reread your last response and I am quite frankly staggered! Aside from your negativity and refusal to continue with communications to resolve this matter and your over simplification of stating the case that it is not your signature on the delivery scan, which is an accepted and given fact as it has been pointed out to you that it is your neighbours signature; at no point have you said that you have or would be prepared to, request the item from your neighbour at #19. This quite frankly defies belief and leaves me wondering how much more obstructive you are going to be with regards to resolving this matter. If you steadfastly refuse to assist in the resolution of this case then there is little that I can do but I do hope that you will reflect on the fact that at present I have followed ebay's direction on this matter to the letter and that I have also applied common sense and common decency."

:) Well I'll wait and see what the next installment brings.

Posted with the permission of all involved....

Getting hacked off with the sullying Aberdeen has received in recent times because of ebay scammers inexplicably claiming to be located here when they aren't, I PM'd the seller via our local music forum to offer any assistance toward a resolution and also gave him a link to this thread to give him a bit of perspective on the situation. He replied thus....

[color="#FF0000"][i]Hi,I sent him the bass which had No cracks etc on the headstock but he claims it did. I offered him a full refund on the bass if he sent it back. I still don't have it yet he says the courier said they delivered it. The couriers signature is certainly not mine and i don't have the bass. I'm sure as hell not refunding a bass when i don't have it. I'm as honest as they come and I'm not stupid either.
If he wants to talk trash in public then he can carry on,I've got more class than that.
That bass was sent without any damage although the volume pot may have been scratchy,I admit i didn't check that. If it arrived with cracks why didn't he take photo's etc in case it was courier damage as i sent it fully insured for the value.

Anyways,I guess Ebay will sort it out sooner rather than later. And you can post this public if you want to.[/i][/color]

What can I say? We've all seen the cracks on the back of the headstock in the ebay pics. :)

He also sent it via ParcelForce (or at least it says so in the listing) so it actually wasn't insured for the full amount.

Ou7hined, maybe point out that some of the cracks are visible in the original listing?
It's pretty obviously crafty camerawork, kinda like when fat chicks' Facebook profile pics are always from above them, thus hiding the extra chins!

Also he can't see this thread unless he signs up can he? I thought the eBay forum was only visible when you're logged in?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1229346' date='May 12 2011, 09:40 PM']Getting hacked off with the sullying Aberdeen has received in recent times because of ebay scammers inexplicably claiming to be located here when they aren't, I PM'd the seller via our local music forum to offer any assistance toward a resolution and also gave him a link to this thread
*snip*[/quote]
So the seller is reading this thread? OK then...

Mr. Waaaaa.... I've known Warwickhunt for years and years and years, along with any number of North-East-based Basschatters, and I guarantee EVERYTHING that he's telling you is 100% true.

Put some effort in, man. Ask around your neighbours. One of of them has your bass.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1229412' date='May 12 2011, 10:30 PM']Put some effort in, man. Ask around your neighbours. One of of them has your bass.[/quote]

Good bit of advice, seeing as he'll most likely have to refund anyway
Unless he's just trying it on.....

First off, thanks for the support and for the efforts of Rich up in Aberdeen.

I'm well aware that this guy can register and come on BC and refute what I've posted on here and if you'd care to look back you'll note that I've not edited or ameded a single one of my posts, so what I've said or claimed that he has said hasn't been altered in light of anything. As a result, I'm confident that I can 100% back up any claim or statement that I've made and supported it with documented evidence.

The response that Rich posted about the guy claiming the damage must have been done in transit to me is absolute b*ll*cks! At no point from me contacting him has he asked for a picture of the damage, neither has he even mentioned claiming against the courier that he used (not sure you can when it is sent Royal Fail), don't know about anyone else but that would have been my first concern rather than (and this is a verbatim quote the first after I said the bass has cracks);
[i]
"Hi John,I played the bass before sending it out and it played fine,all parts of the bass were photographed in the listing. I must confess I never checked the volume pot so i do apologize for that. maybe just a quick clean will sort it. If you want to send it back for a full refund minus postage I'll be more than happy to relist it. " [/i]

I then pointed out that there was no mention of cracks in the listing;

[i]"No problem,if you'd looked at the pics then you'd have seen it,please send it back fully insured and packed,thanks"[/i]

Does that sound like a guy who thinks that the cracks happened in transit? It's also not too late for him to claim on his fully insured delivery!

We'll see what today brings but ebay seem to be still making the right noises to me that I have complied with their T&C for returning items not as described and that I'll get a refund.

Oh and if Ron does get round to reading this... I'd make the effort to visit your neighbour and retrieve the bass, refund me and move on mate!

I don't intend to offend anyone, and I really hope that you get this sorted out, and your money refunded to you. It just goes to show that you should never, ever buy a bass unseen or untested.

Certainly never off anywhere as vermin infested as Ebay.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1228252' date='May 11 2011, 11:28 PM']Dealing over the phone is loads easier, but send a message confirming what you talk about after. Wanting to talk on the phone is totally fine, refusing will make you look a bit suspicious.[/quote]

+1.. I do this all the time. It's quicker and confirms the arrangement to Ebay incase somthing goes wrong..

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1229960' date='May 13 2011, 02:29 PM']I don't intend to offend anyone, and I really hope that you get this sorted out, and your money refunded to you. It just goes to show that you should never, ever buy a bass unseen or untested.

Certainly never off anywhere as vermin infested as Ebay.[/quote]

there is always a risk in buying second, you may later spot something big weeks later on a private sale outside ebay and you'll have no chance then..

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1229960' date='May 13 2011, 02:29 PM']I don't intend to offend anyone, and I really hope that you get this sorted out, and your money refunded to you. It just goes to show that you should never, ever buy a bass unseen or untested.

Certainly never off anywhere as vermin infested as Ebay.[/quote]

Seems a bit over the top mate, I mean I might die if I eat a dodgy bit of chicken, hasn't stopped me eating chicken yet. And the chance of a nice bass quite cheap is worth a punt. Never say never

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1229960' date='May 13 2011, 02:29 PM']It just goes to show that you should never, ever buy a bass unseen or untested.[/quote]

Disagree strongly with that. Being geographically challenged as I am coupled with the esoteric tastes I have, I find myself with little choice other than to buy from afar. I've got 5 keepers. The few I've had problems with, I've returned without major hassles (just some minor squirming on a couple of occasions).

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1229983' date='May 13 2011, 02:45 PM']it's easy enough to raise an issue with ebay.[/quote]
It certainly is BUT as with my case, the item has been returned as instructed and I've still got ongoing issues. Due to the small detail of a courier leaving it with a neighbour (and who among us would have a problem with that as it is a damn sight easier than trying to have it redelivered), we have a situation where the seller likely has the bass and is playing dumb by persistently stating "well that's not my address or my signature"! Come on let's get serious, I've told him the bass is with a neighbour @ #19, even if the neighbour is house-bound it doesn't take long for him to walk down one flight of stairs and knock on the guy's door that lives directly below him... why would you NOT go and get the bass? :)