Why become a member? ×

eBay - Overwater warning

If you see this bass appear on eBay and it looks like a bit of a bargain... stay clear!

I've admired these Progress basses since cd_david got his many moons back and when this was going on ebay recently I had a silly last minute bid and got it for £460. Bargain, or so it appeared!

It duly arrived quite promptly but on initial inspection I thought that the action appeared quite excessive and closer inspection showed what appeared to be lacquer cracks on the back of the headstock! I gave the bass 24hrs to settle into the house climate then had another look at it. The neck appeared to have an awful lot of give in it (i.e. not much pressure was required to grip the neck and pull it straight/flat). I then started examining the bass more closely and found cracks in the lacquer running the length of the neck fingerboard joint, not good. I contacted the seller who basically said 'so what, it's an expensive bass and you got it cheap' at no point did he question the cracks nor make any suggestions that it could have happened in transit, he even went so far as to say I should have seen the cracks in his photographs ( you decide [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290559450320&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT[/url] )! I decided then that the bass had too many flaws and potential problems to warrant keeping it so I requested a refund.; he said not a problem as he'd resell on ebay for more money; I pointed out that I hoped he'd mention the cracks but got no response!

Any way... if you see this bass reappear on ebay be aware that the neck is chunky yet feels as whippy as a whippy thing and the cracks running the length of the neck fingerboard joint and from around the nut extending to the back of the headstock, point to potential problems. Oh and the nut is an absolute dog's dinner, I've a feeling someone has been tinkering with it already. :)

I saw this on ebay and thought it looked in good nick........glad I didn't bid on it. Glad you got your money back too. The seller is obviously a bass enthusiast with it being an overwater and him explaining what the controls do in the 'questions asked' section, so in my opinion, he has deliberately not mentioned the cracking/nut/action etc. Very misleading and underhand. We can do without such cretins.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1223523' date='May 7 2011, 06:34 PM']You can just about see two of the cracks on the back of the head stock in the ebay. Some nice photography to keep them from showing up.

Knew exactly what he was at. Don't need shits like that selling stuff.[/quote]

Agree, really good photography, they are barely noticeable and might be mistaken for the stress cracks that some finishes get from screws / machine heads - the sort that are nothing to worry about.

Pity there were no images of the back of the neck, was there something amiss?

He may have bought it from someone else, but no need to 'stiff' others, there are ways to get legal redress. If it was from new he needs to get it back to Overwater, it may be a one off, are there more like this?

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1223684' date='May 7 2011, 09:30 PM']Good to hear you got your cash back.[/quote]
Technically I haven't as yet but I've quoted ebay rules at him and opened a dispute so he has to refund me; however, it will cost me as I have to foot the return postage to him! So it's cost me £25 because the tw4t couldn't be honest in his listing... though if he had been honest then nobody would have bid on it!

Hello,

I spotted this thread - it is one of our basses, but would say from what I can see it dates back to the late 80's - so over twenty years old.

Although it is difficult to tell without seeing it in the flesh, it looks like it has either had some sort of severe trauma at some stage, or been exposed to extreem heat or cold - which ever, it looks like there may be some cracks in the wood as well as glue joints coming apart.

If the owner would like to get it back to us, I could see if there is something that could be done - though I suspect it would need the fingerboard removing and replacing at the very least - but it could possibly be brought back, depending on what's happened to it..

Hope this is of some help,

Chris May (Overwater Basses)

[quote name='overwater' post='1224861' date='May 9 2011, 10:46 AM']Hello,

I spotted this thread - it is one of our basses, but would say from what I can see it dates back to the late 80's - so over twenty years old.

Although it is difficult to tell without seeing it in the flesh, it looks like it has either had some sort of severe trauma at some stage, or been exposed to extreem heat or cold - which ever, it looks like there may be some cracks in the wood as well as glue joints coming apart.

If the owner would like to get it back to us, I could see if there is something that could be done - though I suspect it would need the fingerboard removing and replacing at the very least - but it could possibly be brought back, depending on what's happened to it..

Hope this is of some help,

Chris May (Overwater Basses)[/quote]
Thanks for responding Chris and very admirable for even taking the time to check this out.

I'd agree that it seems to be trauma cracks and/or issues with the fingerboard delamination. Even though I presently have the bass in my possession it'll be going back to the guy who I purchased it from as I very much doubt that the offer to examine/remedy the issues would be done free of charge, under an extended warranty... that would be some after-care service! Paying to have this repaired wasn't part of the deal I had in mind when I purchased it, so though I appreciate the offer to assist, I'll have to decline and pass this bass back to the seller.

:)

He's an idiot for signing for it. Now you have proof he has received it! Pain in the wobblers that's for sure but I'm confident you'll EVENTUALLY get your money back!

eBay should have a system where you can claim compensation from sellers for pulling this kind of thing. I hear too many stories like this

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1228157' date='May 11 2011, 10:28 PM']He's an idiot for signing for it. Now you have proof he has received it! Pain in the wobblers that's for sure but I'm confident you'll EVENTUALLY get your money back!

eBay should have a system where you can claim compensation from sellers for pulling this kind of thing. I hear too many stories like this[/quote]

Unfortunately it is signed for BUT it doesn't take a genius to sign in a dodgy handwriting and deny knowledge of receipt! I have proof someone, somewhere signed for it but he denies that it is him.

Thanks for all the kind wishes.... I will get this c**t sorted though.

[quote name='BB3000S' post='1228195' date='May 11 2011, 10:50 PM']Though no less hassle for you, ebay has got to side with you on this. Right? :)

And the seller - what a guy...[/quote]

I would LOVE to think that would be the case!

As it happens my wife works for the Police force and I'm going to be looking into a criminal offence as the bass has obviously been stolen... if he doesn't have it.

[quote name='algmusic' post='1228203' date='May 11 2011, 10:56 PM']If you made all your contact via ebay.. you're definitely gonna be fine, otherwise.. You've still got a strong case.. keep us posted[/quote]

Sorry to take the thread OT somewhat, but on this point I've just had an auction end and the buyer immediately message me his phone number and ask me to call him. Do you think it's unreasonable for me to refuse and ask to keep contact to the ebay message system?

[quote name='Maverick' post='1228243' date='May 11 2011, 11:20 PM']Sorry to take the thread OT somewhat, but on this point I've just had an auction end and the buyer immediately message me his phone number and ask me to call him. Do you think it's unreasonable for me to refuse and ask to keep contact to the ebay message system?[/quote]

Dealing over the phone is loads easier, but send a message confirming what you talk about after. Wanting to talk on the phone is totally fine, refusing will make you look a bit suspicious.