Why become a member? ×

finger nails

gub

Sorry if this seems a strange post but i wondered if anyone else keeps there plucking finger nails a bit long to get a little more attack, i cant seem to get on with a plec so its just something i have got used to i think i am not talking girl long long but just enough so i canstill play smooth if need be with the finger tips but also :) nail it if need be !

Can't remeber who it is, it might be Beefcake the mighty from GWAR but i don't think so.

But from a metal band, grows his nails HUGE like an inch and a half out from the tip and gets them manicured to keep them healthy and strong, meaning he gets sharper pick-ish attack and can play with his bass even lower!

Quite a few people do i think! i have tried but well, i'm a nail bitter :) :)

No, I do quite the opposite in fact in order to avoid that plectrum style attack. Not that there's anything wrong with it - it's just not my sound.
It makes sense however that should you want the extra attack and don't get on with plectrums (never did myself) that you'd grow your nails a bit longer. As AttitudeCastle mentioned, it's best to make sure ones' nails are in good condition and healthy though, you wouldn't want to break a nail and make your attack uneven sounding.

Not a strange topic at all, in fact I'm surprised it hasn't come up more often.

I keep mine as short as is comfortable in an attempt to maintain an even tone. I wonder if folk that use a super low action requiring a feather -light touch also keepshort nails.
I don't quite fall into this catagory just yet, but I do wonder if the light brush of the string required for super - low action requires the player to use the skin at end of the finger (almost passing the string at 90 degrees) instead of the pads used for a finger touch grip (say for instance holding a thin roll up).

Just wondering....

[quote name='gub' post='1222936' date='May 7 2011, 10:30 AM']Sorry if this seems a strange post but i wondered if anyone else keeps there plucking finger nails a bit long to get a little more attack, i cant seem to get on with a plec so its just something i have got used to i think i am not talking girl long long but just enough so i canstill play smooth if need be with the finger tips but also :) nail it if need be ![/quote]

Yep.
Not hugely long though, just enough to catch the string.

Another really short nail bod here, I find it really uncomfortable otherwise. I sometimes use the flat face of my nail as a plectrum, (I hold my fingers as though I were holding a plectrum between my first finger and thumb, but with no actual plectrum, just strike the string with the nail of the first finger) but I split it down the middle on Thurs, I really need to knock that off and just remember to carry a plectrum for the rock stuff, it's just been a loooooong time since I needed them lol. I'm gonna try clear nail varnish on that one nail just to see if it's tough enough as I prefer using my nail as a pick cause it's kinder to elixirs and more flexible to switch from fingers/thumbs/pick etc.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1223132' date='May 7 2011, 12:59 PM']Another really short nail bod here, I find it really uncomfortable otherwise. I sometimes use the flat face of my nail as a plectrum, (I hold my fingers as though I were holding a plectrum between my first finger and thumb, but with no actual plectrum, just strike the string with the nail of the first finger) but I split it down the middle on Thurs, I really need to knock that off and just remember to carry a plectrum for the rock stuff, it's just been a loooooong time since I needed them lol. I'm gonna try clear nail varnish on that one nail just to see if it's tough enough as I prefer using my nail as a pick cause it's kinder to elixirs and more flexible to switch from fingers/thumbs/pick etc.[/quote]
me too - i get the plectrum sound like you for exactly the same reason! my guitartist looks at me like i am insane when i do this.

I keep my nails short for finger-style playing. If I want a plectrum sound/attack (very rarely because clanky sounds are bloody awful IMO), I go a bit crazy and use a plectrum!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='BottomE' post='1223138' date='May 7 2011, 01:04 PM']me too - i get the plectrum sound like you for exactly the same reason! my guitartist looks at me like i am insane when i do this.[/quote]

Yeah, I mainly get that off other bass players. :)

Very short nails, even have clippers in my gig bag in case I forget to trim before rehearsals or gigs.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1223132' date='May 7 2011, 12:59 PM']I sometimes use the flat face of my nail as a plectrum, (I hold my fingers as though I were holding a plectrum between my first finger and thumb, but with no actual plectrum, just strike the string with the nail of the first finger)[/quote]

Yep I do this too. A useful technique.

I was a nail bitter for years until just before I took up bass and then managed to grow them long enough to make them pretty colours (I am a girl - its allowed!) Then took up bass and hated the tinny sound I gor with long nails so have gone back to keeping them short but beautifully manicured now rather than bitten.

[quote name='SteveK' post='1223010' date='May 7 2011, 11:32 AM']As short as possible. Can't stand the "clank" you get with longer nails.[/quote]

This.

I keep my left hand nails short too or it justs feels weird when fretting. I like clank with a pick, not finger nails.

I'm sure I once read that Paul McCartney uses clear nail varnish on his plucking thumbnail to strengthen it.
I personally keep mine short. But, I was recently toying with the idea of using guitarist's fingerpicks to play my acoustic resonator bass. While I was researching the different types online, I happened upon an acoustic guitar forum,
where there was a serious debate about what type of nail treatments to use, nail varnish vs. acrylic false nails, what glues to use to stick them, even the merits of certain nailbars/beauty salons. :)