Why become a member? ×

What are really unfashionable at the moment?

Mr. Foxen

I could quite happily lead the crusade in defence of Charvels, but having moved mine on it might be slightly duplicitous! That said, they're basically a Fender-style body with a different headstock - what's not to like? I mean, considering Jimmy Coppolo seems to think having a didlo for a headstock is okay, then they hardly seem the worst cuplrits for headstock defamation.

So ner :)

But yes, Charvels; Jacksons; BC Richs (especially the cheap ones, which seems to be the bulk of the range); MIM Fenders.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1219588' date='May 4 2011, 10:17 AM']It'll be interesting to see if Chris Wotsisname from Muse will make Status fashionable again.....

I hope not :)[/quote]

Interesting - Status seem to suffer from a bit of a typecast thing, not that Status should be complaining, Kingy has kept their order books full for years. Chris Wolstenholme is an interesting case - there's not many bass hero types that can sell basses. Is he one of them? Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1219811' date='May 4 2011, 01:09 PM']When were they ever fashionable?[/quote]
Mid-80s. Think [url="http://clutterbuck.urbanup.com/5675255"]clutterbuckery[/url]. Sadly, the fashionable phase didn't last long enough to create a vast reservoir of unfashionable headless basses, and preceded any 5-string fashionableness as well.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1219872' date='May 4 2011, 02:04 PM']Mid-80s. Think [url="http://clutterbuck.urbanup.com/5675255"]clutterbuckery[/url]. Sadly, the fashionable phase didn't last long enough to create a vast reservoir of unfashionable headless basses, and preceded any 5-string fashionableness as well.[/quote]

Ah, I didn't start playing until 1989. I never knew anyone young at that time who had, or wanted, a Status bass. So yeah the fashionable period must've been short.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1219590' date='May 4 2011, 10:19 AM']BC Richs (especially the cheap ones, which seems to be the bulk of the range);[/quote]
I can't remember them being in fashion any time in the last 10 years. :)

But once upon a time they were everywhere in metal. Shame they were crap, I quite liked the brand.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='tauzero' post='1219872' date='May 4 2011, 02:04 PM']Mid-80s. Think [url="http://clutterbuck.urbanup.com/5675255"]clutterbuckery[/url]. [b]Luckily[/b], the fashionable phase didn't last long enough to create a vast reservoir of unfashionable headless basses, and preceded any 5-string fashionableness as well.[/quote]

Fixed

[quote name='Eight' post='1219992' date='May 4 2011, 03:53 PM']I can't remember them being in fashion any time in the last 10 years. :)

But once upon a time they were everywhere in metal. Shame they were crap, I quite liked the brand.[/quote]

BC Rich may be out of fashion (and rubbish), but the somewhat more tasteful Bernie Rico Jr. custom stuff seems to be huge in the Djent scene at the moment.

Edit: Although Rico Jr isn't actually part of the BC Rich company I think.

Edited by Maverick

[quote name='Maverick' post='1220001' date='May 4 2011, 04:06 PM']Bernie Rico Jr. custom stuff seems to be huge in the Djent scene at the moment.[/quote]
What is Djent?

(I'm old now. Don't listen to any metal that wasn't released on vinyl).

Crikey o'riley, BC Richs weren't [i]all[/i] crap - have a look at the stuff Bernie Rico Sr was producing! I think the lesson is: buy vintage or custom.

That said, the sell out to Class Axe and changes in production did then erase that period from most memories, by flooding the market with tat. Anything you see listed as "Bronze" is firewood-in-waiting.

Lorne would be able to lecture you at length about the whole thing, I'm sure.

Also: Djent - [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djent"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djent[/url]

Edited by Gust0o

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1220028' date='May 4 2011, 04:41 PM']Also: Djent - [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djent"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djent[/url][/quote]

This currently looks a lot like an article written by the bands that feature in it (except Meshuggah).

I tried out with a band that pretty much fitted that description, using a BC Rich, but the Doom tone of my 10x12 rig kind of made the silly mid scooped guitar disappear. Can't really be dealing with all that fast stuff.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1219607' date='May 4 2011, 10:32 AM']Interesting - Status seem to suffer from a bit of a typecast thing, not that Status should be complaining, Kingy has kept their order books full for years. Chris Wolstenholme is an interesting case - there's not many bass hero types that can sell basses. Is he one of them? Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell![/quote]

Chris Wolstenholme has surely only damaged Status Graphite's reputation. I used to think of them as a conoisseur's choice, juding by their plast clients such as Jacques Bono, Jonas Hellborg, Mark King, Abe Laboriel etc etc. Now that this talentless buffoon from Muse has taken to playing them he is spoiling them and making them look common. That said, they've always been a niche thing and will remain so. Muse don't have the following they used to have and their fans probably won't pay upwards of £2000 for a bass. Unlike the legion of blokes in their 40's who quite rightly worship Mark King and keep Status afloat! :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1220448' date='May 4 2011, 11:49 PM']Chris Wolstenholme has surely only damaged Status Graphite's reputation. I used to think of them as a conoisseur's choice, juding by their plast clients such as Jacques Bono, Jonas Hellborg, Mark King, Abe Laboriel etc etc. Now that this talentless buffoon from Muse has taken to playing them he is spoiling them and making them look common. That said, they've always been a niche thing and will remain so. Muse don't have the following they used to have and their fans probably won't pay upwards of £2000 for a bass. Unlike the legion of blokes in their 40's who quite rightly worship Mark King and keep Status afloat! :)[/quote]

I dunno, he might not "sell" basses but then again he might widen people's perception about Status basses. On the face of it - because MK is so prominent in their roster and synonymous with the brand - people might typecast the brand as being solely for 40 something, cardigan-wearing thwackity thwackity slap brigade. Well unless they're Quo fans of course!

I think it's bad for a brand to get stuck with a particular popular genre, even if that is their current main source of income. In 10-20 years when nobody remembers Mark clickety-clackety King (or the awful cheese-pop he created :) ) they'll need a new standard bearer. Only everybody who plays their basses will be either dead or too busy organising their slipper collection.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1220689' date='May 5 2011, 10:01 AM']On the face of it - because MK is so prominent in their roster and synonymous with the brand - people might typecast the brand as being solely for 40 something, cardigan-wearing thwackity thwackity slap brigade.[/quote]

Cool people don't play Status basses and have never played Status basses, that's their problem. Even when Mark King was nearly cool in the '80s he didn't play Status basses, he switched to them afterwards!

Until someone undeniably cool is strongly associated with a Status bass they'll always be expensive mid-life-crisis basses.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1220702' date='May 5 2011, 10:08 AM']It looks like the answer to "What are really unfashionable at the moment?" is......

Status players :)

Thanks guys! :)[/quote]

:lol:

Do you get a free pair of slippers with every Status?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1220699' date='May 5 2011, 10:06 AM']Cool people don't play Status basses and have never played Status basses, that's their problem. Even when Mark King was nearly cool in the '80s he didn't play Status basses, he switched to them afterwards!

Until someone undeniably cool is strongly associated with a Status bass they'll always be expensive mid-life-crisis basses.[/quote]

I really liked their Jazz-style one though, that was a really smart alternative to a Fender.

I also quite like the Streamliner, which i guess is their only original design