Why become a member? ×

Am I the only person in the UK that likes country

BobVbass

I love Alt Country/Americana and even Bluegrass but not really the modern hat artists coming out of music row. My iPod is set to Jason & The Scorchers, Drive by Truckers,Wilco,Cracker and the great Hank III, I agree about British country acts having a hard time of making any impact because of them being British but there are a few like Mark Wilkinson's Buchanan who manage.

It does feel like you're the only one sometimes & finding other musos who can play this stuff well is v hard IME.

My dear wife is a fiddle player & we had a nice western swing band for a while. We did some Bob Wills, Asleep at the Wheel plus some jazz swing too. It was the old story of very hard to get gigs but a great reaction when we did them & repeat bookings.

Her main foil was a great Tele player - he could do the Albert Lee style but could also do the swing & django too. When he left, it was impossible to find a decent replacement (and we're in South London not Sark!) and it petered out. She's still looking albeit discouraged so pm me if you know any suitable guitarists. Equally let me know if anyone is looking for a fiddle player.

Sorry for slight hijacking but I share the OPs frustration.

About 20yrs ago +/- I had a lengthy debilitating illness - I ended up staying awake for most of the night but not able to do much. I spent much of that time watching a satellite TV station, CMT - Country Music Television - which sort of mirrored MTV. As well as all the big hitters there were the (at the time) fledgling artists like Shania Twain, Alison Kraus, the pretty blonde girl with the big ears whose name escapes me* at the moment, some newish band called the Mavericks etc. I imagine it was the poppy end of the country spectrum, but very enjoyable nevertheless and made me appreciate the genre. The vids were quite a nice insight into the US of A, too. I recently took up line dancing (yeehaw) and reckon there is huge potential for a country band earning a decent living playing at their bashes - all the dances are choreographed to particular tracks, so you make your set list around them and everyone is up dancing all night.

*edit Faith Hill.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Doddy' post='1208688' date='Apr 22 2011, 09:48 PM']I don't think any 'musos' can say anything when there are players like Brent Mason and Dan Huff on guitar and great bass players like Glenn Worf,Michael Rhodes,Dave Pomeroy,Mike Brignardello and loads more.
Even more 'name' musicians like Brad Paisley have got major chops.

Special mention to Jerry Douglas who's the baddest Dobro player around.[/quote]

+1

The whole Nashville scene is littered with top class/quality players.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='1208973' date='Apr 23 2011, 10:04 AM']....The whole Nashville scene is littered with top class/quality players....[/quote]
One of the best is Ray Flacke, a Brit, no less!

Ray was in Meal Ticket and ARS but I first met him when we were playing dodgy clubs and US air bases in Germany. I believe he got fired from Emmylou Harris's band for drinking a lot! That wasn’t really a surprise; he was quite wild in Germany!

I play in yet another '' Pub Rock Band '' ( don't do Mustang Sally ,thought ) , but halfway through the second set we throw in Folsom Prison blues by Jonny Cash and the audience really go nuts and start stomping around the dance floor .
I think there is a little bit of Country and Western in all of us , but I don't think I could do a whole night of it .

[quote name='Hutton' post='1209814' date='Apr 24 2011, 09:16 AM']Another country fan here especially anything that Alan Jackson does. His band is excellent btw.[/quote]

I think Alan Jackson used to be really good,but he became a bit of a knob after 9/11