Why become a member? ×

Warwick Star Bass

dmz

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_MR5KkK6VQ&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_MR5KkK6VQ...feature=related[/url]

I know the German ones are north of £2.5k but the Korean Pro Series ones are about half that.

I feel GAS developing - doh !

Anyone tried a Korean Pro Series Thumb or Streamer yet ?

Edited by dmz

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dmz' post='1194189' date='Apr 10 2011, 12:08 AM']... but the Korean Pro Series ones are about half that.[/quote]

Oh no, I wish I hadn't see that ... now it might be necessary for me to order one of those in black, and five-string.

Anyone know the string spacing at the bridge on the fives ?

Andy

This without the frets and flatwounds would be my ideal bass.

Gotta say the singlecut doesn't look great:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKFvZDwKRvc&NR=1&feature=fvwp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKFvZDwKRvc...mp;feature=fvwp[/url]

Would have looked better without any cuts like an acoustic :)

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='1204757' date='Apr 19 2011, 01:41 PM']This without the frets and flatwounds would be my ideal bass.[/quote]

The Korean one is available in fretless, but the fingerboard wood is 'tigerstripe ebony' or something. To me that won't go with the gloss finishes they offer, I'd have sooner had plain ebony. Actually consider getting a fretted one and de-fretting it.

Andy

• 3 months later...

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='1204728' date='Apr 19 2011, 01:29 PM']Oh no, I wish I hadn't see that ... now it might be necessary for me to order one of those in black, and five-string.

Anyone know the string spacing at the bridge on the fives ?

Andy[/quote]

Researching this one again and answering my own question ... seems standard string spacing on warwick 5's is 16.5mm ... or if you're lucky enough to be ordering a model where they do custom options, 20mm.

[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/options.php?TYP=WOOD_NECK&submenuID=14620&katID=21443"]Warwick necks[/url]

Why, warwick, why ? Why not something sensible like 18-19 mm ?

Or do the 16.5 bridges have lateral adjustment that lets you space out to (say) 18mm ?

Failing that ... looks like I'm back to looking for a Washburn AB95

Andy

[indent][indent][quote name='BigRedX' post='1204836' date='Apr 19 2011, 02:58 PM']So who's got a 5-string in that I can try?

I would have to get someone to re-shape the headstock though because IMO the Warwick headstock is the ugliest thing ever...[/quote]
[/indent][/indent]

I'd say there are a few contenders for that title, AC and Nordy spring to mind.
I reckon the Star is one of the prettiest that Warwick make, though the headstock does look out of place

The thing that bothers me most about the Warwick headstock is that they slap it on all their basses irrespective of the rest of the design of the instrument (except for the few occasions when they use the Buzzard shape). It sort of works on some of their designs but it most certainly doesn't on the Star Bass or the one other Warwick that I like - the [url="http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=14667&katID=22144&cl=EN"]Jack Bruce Cream Reunion Signature[/url].

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1313984' date='Jul 23 2011, 05:38 PM']The thing that bothers me most about the Warwick headstock is that they slap it on all their basses irrespective of the rest of the design of the instrument (except for the few occasions when they use the Buzzard shape). It sort of works on some of their designs but it most certainly doesn't on the Star Bass or the one other Warwick that I like - the [url="http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=14667&katID=22144&cl=EN"]Jack Bruce Cream Reunion Signature[/url].[/quote]

Well said - my thoughts exactly; the Star and Jack Bruce ones are the nicest designs they do, shame about the headstock. I do also have a quirky soft spot for the [url="http://www.hansenguitars.com/data/inspect.asp?Item=508&Filter=Archive&Name=Warwick+Fortress+Flashback"]Fortress Flashback[/url] too

• 5 months later...

I played a Star a few days ago, it was the first bit of Warwick kit that i enjoyed playing and thought it was beautifull! I have a Thumb that i simply hate and can't identify with just so you see the variety of tastes going on this forum! ;)

Edited by Ghost_Bass

• 9 months later...

So has anyone else had a look at these!

I couldnt find anyone stocking these in the UK, so I emailed warwick and they told me they werent available in the UK! I should buy direct from them!!

So i called a retailer friend of mine, he said warwick had made it impossible to be a dealer by insisting that dealers all carried pretty much one of everything, including the very pricey sig' models! He said they had effectively screwed themselves in the UK and he works for one of the bigger shops out there!

So that aside, anyone tried one? From what I have heard and read, the pro series basses are nice and they look good too!

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' timestamp='1351684528' post='1854087']
So i called a retailer friend of mine, he said warwick had made it impossible to be a dealer by insisting that dealers all carried pretty much one of everything, including the very pricey sig' models! He said they had effectively screwed themselves in the UK and he works for one of the bigger shops out there!

[/quote]

Very odd. I never realised it had hit that extreme. Warwick are a very odd company.

I couldnt find anyone stocking these in the UK, so I emailed warwick and they told me they werent available in the UK! I should buy direct from them!!

So that aside, anyone tried one? From what I have heard and read, the pro series basses are nice and they look good too!

Tony
[/quote]

I would be very wary about buying one unseen/unplayed. I tried one of the original German made ones when they first appeared at one of the musical instrument shows. It had the sharpest fingerboard edges of any bass I have ever played! Considering this was a show model that I would expect to have been as close to perfect as Warwick could manage, I have little faith in a general retail one being any better.

Also Warwick need to offer you a hefty discount, since they are cutting out the retailer and distributor.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1303218560' post='1204788']
The Korean one is available in fretless, but the fingerboard wood is 'tigerstripe ebony' or something. To me that won't go with the gloss finishes they offer, I'd have sooner had plain ebony. Actually consider getting a fretted one and de-fretting it.

Andy
[/quote]

Tigerstripe ebony is just ebony.

I have said it a million times but Tigerstripe ebony fingerboards are Warwicks biggest bargain. Even the Rockbass models come with it on the Fretless models.

All Tigerstripe means is that the wood does not come solely from the core of the tree, where it is completely black, they use more of the wood from a little further out which means some parts have dark brown figuring to the black. Tonally it sounds identical, it feels EXACTLY the same as jet black ebony and is a little better for the enviroment.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1351688628' post='1854147']
I would be very wary about buying one unseen/unplayed. I tried one of the original German made ones when they first appeared at one of the musical instrument shows. It had the sharpest fingerboard edges of any bass I have ever played! Considering this was a show model that I would expect to have been as close to perfect as Warwick could manage, I have little faith in a general retail one being any better.....
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure if you bought a new one now it would have nice rolled edges. I bought a Thumb new in 2008 and it had the ultra-sharp edges; even now I almost expect to cut myself on it. But from about 2010 they switched to a thinner neck and lovely rolled edges - I got a Corvette from 2010 and the neck and fingerboard on it just feel great.

It would still be nice to not have to buy blind though, especially on a bass where a lot of us have suspicions about the level of neck-dive.

Tony
[/quote]

This is absolutely not true and not a condition of being a Warwick dealer in the UK, or elsewhere. A dealer can stock the products they want, and we even have a policy for non-registered dealers to buy from us by going through a quick approval process.

Our distributor in the UK can be contacted here:

Warwick Music Equipment Trading (Hailsham UK) Ltd.
"Cortland" George Street
Hailsam
East Sussex BN27 1AE
Phone 0044 (0)161 8390666
Mail [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
or
Mail [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

Please let me know if you've got any questions or need assistance in any way. Thanks!

Thanks for the info, I can only tell you what I was told by someone who sold me my first Warwick back in the 1990's, a shop that is well established and well known!

So if my retailer guy can get one in stock, I'll take a look at that!

Other option is wait until my work takes me to Germany where I have already had a price of 1400 euro from!

Tony