Why become a member? ×

Yamahas

parker_muse

I have the aforementioned TRB1004 and it is everything you would expect from a quality well made instrument. Back in the day I was a Yamaha dealer and have to say even the 70 quid acoustic guitars were superb for the money.

I suppose they can be a bit soul less but the TRB is full of character after some stuff that I've played lately but I've hung my coat on the G&L stand and I'm unlikely to remove it in the foreseeable future.
Stonkin bass though :)

It's cool to see all this Yamaha love! I first played a TRB1005 quite a few years ago and was so impressed with the low B that it made me consider 5 (and 6) string instruments a lot more. I tried a bunch of 5 string basses, and bought a pretty high end 5 string that had a similar spec, but it just didn't feel right to me. I snapped up a TRB1006 for £400 last year and it's been my most-played instrument since! Yamaha win! :)

I've only ever owned three Yamahas, an RBX200 which I bought new when they came out, a BB1100s and a TRB5. All were well built quality basses. Build quality was superb, as is the case with any guitar made in Japan. The trouble was, there basses out there that just certain things better. I sold my TRB5 to get a Traben Chaos Core which does the Hardcore / Punk / Metal thing better than any other bass I've ever played. The TRB5 just didn't do it for these genres for me.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1195015' date='Apr 10 2011, 08:28 PM']Yammys in my view are quality instruments. I had a BB1100s in the late 80s/early 90s. Must have done about 1000 gigs on it, with no backup, and never had any problems with it. Recorded well too.[/quote]
+1 i had a BB1100s too and its the only bass that i regret selling. I am a big fan of Yamaha bass gear. I think their build quality in general is a lot better than Fender and their PuPs electronics are top notch. They really are a pleasure to record with. I am gassing for the TRB 1004 in the For Sale section as having played one recently i understand what amazing instruments these are.

Personally, i am not worried about endorsements. If they don't have a "cool" or "trendy" player as a flagship for their gear so what. IMO they are well priced, great value and excellent reliable work horses.

I really want an Attitude LTD II or the new one, I can't explain why, I do not need one, It wouldn't fit in with my bands music or 'Image' I just think they're stupidly cool...I'll never say this again outside of this thread.

Must say, the BB3000 reissues knocking around in fs are so pretty, wish I had the coin.

In my opinion, Yamahas are not underrated in all aspects. Their Japanese TRB-line is very highly appreciated among many players. I have a Yamaha TRB6II and it is solidly made, sounds good and is reliable. It doesn't have any fancy woods or high end details but it is a good instrument with quality parts and construction. I've never played an older TRB6 but I've never read a bad review about it.

Newer Korean TRB1000 -series is a step down IMO, they're nowhere near the quality of the Japanese basses, which is sad. Still they cost around 1000 euros. Yamaha's problem is that it doesn't have good mid class instruments. I had a RBXJM2 which was quite nice but overpriced (but not overpriced for the young Dream Theater fan like me back then... :) ). I think the cheap Yamahas provide quite good value, but the 1000-ish euro price range is overpriced when compared to the builld quality of the older similarily (or a tad higher) priced Japanese basses. Then the present Japanese line is around 3000 euros (high class TRB's or BBNEII) which is way too much for the average player. And with that money one could have an incredible custom bass made already.

Nonetheless, people who have played new Japanese TRB's (Patitucci, TRB6PII) have said that they are among the highest quality basses they have ever come across.

Just to add my 10 pence worth, I've owned an RBX375 for a couple of years and recently bought a 775 from a fellow 'chatter (obviously lost his marbles) and I would have to say that the neck on the 775 is incredible, rings like a well tuned piano and easily p****s all over a Fender P or Jazz. If I lost it somehow, I'd search high and low 'till I found another one. NICE !!!

[quote name='megallica' post='1194279' date='Apr 10 2011, 08:09 AM']I think maybe the RBX range is what most people think of when they think of Yamaha's.

I mean lots of pros have played Yamahas over the years so it's not as if they haven't tried to market the upper level instruments with signature models etc.[/quote]

didn't andy rourke play a bb3000?

[quote name='Jigster' post='1205176' date='Apr 19 2011, 07:40 PM']didn't andy rourke play a bb3000?[/quote]
Where's Bobby when you need an expert ...

But, think it was a BB1200 and a BB3000A (which is a very different beast from the BB3000). There may also have been a BB2000, or that may have been Bobby!

I always thought Andy played a BB-2000 for studio but all the pics/vids I have seen of him playing are with a Fender P...Old Grey whistle Test n stuff?

...It's not the first time I have seen this...Yamaha bass for studio/recording Fender for live....not sure why....bass snobbery :)

Big Mouth on OGWT

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Ro7HLmUrY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Ro7HLmUrY[/url]

[quote name='iconic' post='1205474' date='Apr 20 2011, 07:09 AM']I always thought Andy played a BB-2000 for studio but all the pics/vids I have seen of him playing are with a Fender P.[/quote]
He's not a musician I'd paid much attention to, so couldn't ever have been sure about his equipment choices. But, a year or so ago, another member of the forum, Bobby, contacted me to ask for some advice on Yamaha BB-s. It was while exchanging messages with him that I learned that earlier in Rourke's career his main Yamaha was a BB1200 (finished in Yellow Natural). Later, he also used a BB3000A. Bobby also had some detailed information about Rourke's string choices and tunings, which I'm sure fans of Rourke would find illuminating.

I've had a Mk1 TRB 4 for around 20 years and I love it, I've had many basses come and go and they've always come second best in my opinion, that's including, Fender Precisions and Jazzes, Pedullas, Stingrays, Status'. (But that's just my taste).

There's just something about the feel and variety of tones I can get from it that I love, I also have a BB1500A which is a little similar and again love it to bits.

Had a BB2005 which was an awesome bass but I just didn't get on with 5 strings.

I think they are very underrated.

[quote name='martfitz' post='1205632' date='Apr 20 2011, 10:09 AM']There's just something about the feel and variety of tones I can get from [a Mk1 TRB 4] that I love, I also have a BB1500A which is a little similar and again love it to bits.[/quote]
Your 1500A has the same circuit as the early TRB models, so that might go some way to explaining why you enjoy your TRB and BB so much. The range of tones available from the 1500A is amazing - and the level of fine adjustment when using the EQ in combination with the cavity trim pots is bewildering. One of my favourite BB models.

[quote name='noelk27' post='1205642' date='Apr 20 2011, 11:28 AM']Your 1500A has the same circuit as the early TRB models, so that might go some way to explaining why you enjoy your TRB and BB so much. The range of tones available from the 1500A is amazing - and the level of fine adjustment when using the EQ in combination with the cavity trim pots is bewildering. One of my favourite BB models.[/quote]

That's partly the reason why I like them both, you could make them both sound very similar, but you're right, tweaking the two EQ combinations in the cavity means you can have a really nice variety between them both, plus I've just put some TI Flats on the 1500A for the first time, so I am now truly a happy man with my sound :)

I think Yamaha are pretty underrated in general when it comes to guitars and basses. When I worked in a music shop I used to recommend nothing else for beginners. Can't beat the quality for the price, and that's on the dirt cheap stuff. I can only imagine how good the more expensive gear is.

I was gonna put some flats on my BB1500a but haven't got round to it, how does it sound now?

I love my BB1500a great for slap and does most things very well , my TRB 1005 is a great looking and sounding bass for the money , and my recently aquired

TRB5PII is fabulous ! Also have a BB605 that may be up for sale soon , and that shouldn't really sound as good as it does for the money !