Why become a member? ×

Gig bags

My trusty gig bag is down in Brighton with my Rumour and I have a gig on Friday so need to buy another one to use - anyone got any advice on a good one to go for.

Not bothered about price just need one quickly and with lots of pockets for all my gubbins and that will keep some relatively expensive basses nice and safe too.

The Fender ones are great. Well padded, quality zips and look pretty good too. About £25 brand new. Think I got mine from Sounds Live...

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-Standard-Bass-Gig-Bag~ID~12591.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~F...ag~ID~12591.asp[/url]

Protec Contego would be my choice - excellent protection and reasonably priced (around £75). I have an iGiG and a Mono - both excellent bags but much more expensive than the Protec and possibly not quite the same level of protection (for the body and front/back of the neck at least).

These ones look very nice...
[url="http://www.fusion-bags.com/products/guitar-gig-bags"]Fusion Gig Bags[/url]

I have a custom leather bag from here >> [url="http://www.probag-net.com/"]Probag[/url]
It's the dogs bits and wasn't pricey, £135 all in a couple of years ago.
Not sure how they work out now, but it's the nicest gig bag I've ever owned, and probably seen!

Eude

EDIT: Should've been £135 all in, not $135, that was including shipping, tax etc.

Edited by eude

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1190442' date='Apr 6 2011, 01:17 PM']I'd say Mono, but only because of the weight. They also have more pockets than the others recommended so far. The Protec are excellent though, but I found them to be a tad heavy, but I'm a wimp.[/quote]

Whereas I'd say the Protec! The Mono edges it on weight, cool looks and funky materials, plus if your bass has an angled headstock it's much better. But, it's [i]twice[/i] the price of the Protect Contego, and to my mind the Protec is sturdier and your bass would be better protected from damage.

YMMV, we agree to disagree etc.... :)

[quote name='walbassist' post='1190647' date='Apr 6 2011, 04:26 PM']Whereas I'd say the Protec! The Mono edges it on weight, cool looks and funky materials, plus if your bass has an angled headstock it's much better. But, it's [i]twice[/i] the price of the Protect Contego, and to my mind the Protec is sturdier and your bass would be better protected from damage.

YMMV, we agree to disagree etc.... :)[/quote]

I totally agree, the Protec is fantastic. I try and travel by train a lot though, and find that the Mono is easier to carry.

I think it all depends on what you are doing and how you travel. If the bass is going in the back of a truck or a van, then a proper case would be best. If it's in a car with other luggage then maybe the Protec. If you're going to be carrying it then the Mono. The Mono would certainly protect your bass from the average bump and bang on a train ride or tube journey. My basses have been hundreds of miles with me in the Mono, and don't have a mark on them.

They are very expensive though.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1190677' date='Apr 6 2011, 04:53 PM']I totally agree, the Protec is fantastic. I try and travel by train a lot though, and find that the Mono is easier to carry.

I think it all depends on what you are doing and how you travel. If the bass is going in the back of a truck or a van, then a proper case would be best. If it's in a car with other luggage then maybe the Protec. If you're going to be carrying it then the Mono. The Mono would certainly protect your bass from the average bump and bang on a train ride or tube journey. My basses have been hundreds of miles with me in the Mono, and don't have a mark on them.

They are very expensive though.[/quote]

+1 for Mono cases

I have a dual bass one - was £200 but the basses are very well protected in there and it feels quality.

I was speaking to one of the guys at probag around christmas, he said that they've now moved all production into the states so they can keep an eye on what's happening, and also improve quality, but he said unfortunately this mean's they've had to bump up the price. So to get one into the UK with taxes and postage, you're looking at around £200.

Fortunately Thomann have got the leather Warwick bags back in stock, so I've got one of them on order :) Should be here in just under two weeks (birthday's on Saturday 16th).

Are the Warwick and Rockbag gig bags one and the same? I couldn't see a Warwick branded leather case on the Thomann website.

[quote name='goblin' post='1191670' date='Apr 7 2011, 01:10 PM']I was speaking to one of the guys at probag around christmas, he said that they've now moved all production into the states so they can keep an eye on what's happening, and also improve quality, but he said unfortunately this mean's they've had to bump up the price. So to get one into the UK with taxes and postage, you're looking at around £200.

Fortunately Thomann have got the leather Warwick bags back in stock, so I've got one of them on order :) Should be here in just under two weeks (birthday's on Saturday 16th).[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My iGig got delivered this week. It's genius, thanks for the heads-up everyone. After I opened it up and saw the neck support and body-glove combo, I had to go for a little lie down.

(they're currently in stock at Bass Direct btw. I ordered Saturday morning, it arrived Wednesday, which is pretty quick even without a Sunday and Bank Holiday in the middle)

Edited by toneknob

I need a new gig bag, and need to know which is the most comfortable to wear on your back?

Looking for good padding for the back and decent padded straps. I've got quite a selection that have come with various basses that I've bought, but all except the Ritter have been too uncomfortable to wear for more than 5 minutes. Unfortunately the straps on the Ritter are starting to wear out and I can't rely on them any more so I need a good comfortable replacement that I can wear for the 30 minute walk to rehearsals.

It would be great if it was big enough to fit my Overwater bass (50" long) but that's probably too much of an ask.

So which bag is the most comfortable to wear for a 30 minute walk?