Why become a member? ×

Anyone here play and gig with an acoustic bass?

Linus27

I've joined an acoustic band and at the moment I am playing my Fender Precision. To fit in with the image of also playing an acoustic looking instrument and maybe to do something different, I kind of fancy getting an acoustic bass, probably a Washburn AB10. I'll still play through an amp though. Anyone do this and have any thought of playing acoustic bass especially live? Does it work or just a gimmick and better to stick with an electric bass? Plus, does anyone tried flats on their acoustic bass and does it work and sound ok?

I have a Resonator acoustic bass that I've used at a couple of acoustic shows

It's strung with flats as it sounded dreadful with roundwounds quite frankly. I can't help but feel the acoustic bass looks very 1993 / MTV Unplugged and to be honest you are better with a traditional electric bass if you aren't playing an upright. The Reso looks great but it's just a pose really. I only take it if I think the upright is going to a problem on the train or can't face carting it about. Considering you always plug them in you really would be better off sticking with what you have.

I've got Bronzed roundwound on mine. You guys that use flats, are they specifically made for acoustics or just standard flats?
As for using an acoustic bass live - I do it sometimes. Always through an amp, I've never DI-ed one (yet).
My experience is that you need to fiddle with you EQ to avoid 'boom' or even the dreaded feedback. Covering the soundhole is supposed to be a guard against feedback but I've never tried it myself.
As you're thinking, there are some situations where an acoustic bass looks right in terms of blending in with the rest of the band. I've also got away with playing at 'acoustic' open mic nights without the mutterings I might have got with my P or J.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1180090' date='Mar 28 2011, 09:30 PM']I've joined an acoustic band and at the moment I am playing my Fender Precision. To fit in with the image of also playing an acoustic looking instrument and maybe to do something different, I kind of fancy getting an acoustic bass, probably a Washburn AB10. I'll still play through an amp though. Anyone do this and have any thought of playing acoustic bass especially live? Does it work or just a gimmick and better to stick with an electric bass? Plus, does anyone tried flats on their acoustic bass and does it work and sound ok?[/quote]

Played on a fretless Washburn AB 20.........
Martin make a good 'bronze' acoustic bass string. Think I also
had Guild acoustic bass strings a while back. Try getting acoustics strings as the
usual electric bass strings don't seem to have the sound for acoustic bass.

[quote name='mybass' post='1180158' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:08 PM']Played on a fretless Washburn AB 20.........
had Guild acoustic bass strings a while back. Try getting acoustics strings as the
usual electric bass strings don't seem to have the sound for acoustic bass.[/quote]

Do you still have the fretless Washburn or was it one you just played but not owned?

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='1180090' date='Mar 28 2011, 09:30 PM']I've joined an acoustic band and at the moment I am playing my Fender Precision. To fit in with the image of also playing an acoustic looking instrument and maybe to do something different, I kind of fancy getting an acoustic bass, probably a Washburn AB10. I'll still play through an amp though. Anyone do this and have any thought of playing acoustic bass especially live? Does it work or just a gimmick and better to stick with an electric bass? Plus, does anyone tried flats on their acoustic bass and does it work and sound ok?[/quote]

I have an acoustic bass guitar that I use if pushed but have to admit I don't really enjoy playing it very much.
My feeling is that as it's pretty useless unless you have it plugged into an amp so I may as well just play a natural coloured (i.e. wood finish instead of painted) electric bass and have done with it.

I play in a lot of acoustic/folk type acts and am really getting some really positive feedback (and a stupid amount of work) using an EUB.

[quote name='mybass' post='1180158' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:08 PM']Played on a fretless Washburn AB 20.........
usual electric bass strings don't seem to have the sound for acoustic bass.[/quote]
Well. it's a matter of taste I guess but I can't bear those bronze strings.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1180090' date='Mar 28 2011, 09:30 PM']....I've joined an acoustic band and at the moment I am playing my Fender Precision. To fit in with the image of also playing an acoustic looking instrument and maybe to do something different, I kind of fancy getting an acoustic bass, probably a Washburn AB10. I'll still play through an amp though. Anyone do this and have any thought of playing acoustic bass especially live? Does it work or just a gimmick and better to stick with an electric bass? Plus, does anyone tried flats on their acoustic bass and does it work and sound ok?....[/quote]
I play in an electro acoustic duo and I just use the Lakland. It sounds great and the guitarist is very happy with it. I've no problem playing a sold electric bass in an acoustic environment. It's all about how you play it, but as a present to myself I've decided to get an electro acoustic bass. I'm going for a 5 string, so I don't get too confused, and either a fretted or lined fretless, although I'm not sure I trust myself without frets!

I'd love a Rob Allen Deep 5 but can't afford one! So the only bass in the frame is a 5 string Rob Allen MB-2. Money is an issue so I've got to find a used one in good nick.

[quote name='icastle' post='1180267' date='Mar 28 2011, 11:39 PM']I have an acoustic bass guitar that I use if pushed but have to admit I don't really enjoy playing it very much.
My feeling is that as it's pretty useless unless you have it plugged into an amp so I may as well just play a natural coloured (i.e. wood finish instead of painted) electric bass and have done with it.

I play in a lot of acoustic/folk type acts and am really getting some really positive feedback (and a stupid amount of work) using an EUB.

[/quote]

It would be plugged it all the time with a small combo as like you say, it would be useless without. The main reason for me is to complete that acoustic line up look.

I've got a Kelly Dragonfly electric acoustic bass (which is a lovely instrument) I've used a few times for gigs, for the folkier numbers, but to be honest, there's very very little you can do with one that you can't do with an electric with appropriate EQ and adjustments to playing style. It looks the part, though, and the Fishman pre gives a decent set of EQ controls. Bronze roundwounds, not tried anything else.

Edited by Muzz

I'm my experience, acoustic basses are a bit gimmicky, even if theres just you up against a single acoustic guitar an vocals you will still need an amp.
But with that said if you are doing an acoustic set then its not going to be full-on-flat-out volume so for ascetic value go for it !
Again from what Ive seen of acoustic basses if buying new set a bench mark of £200-250 max anything over that is unnecessary .

Personally I wouldn't bother.

Owned and sold two of them. Gigging wsa a challenge due to the size and while the tone was ok, you can do aswell with a normal bass or better with a DB. Im using a hollowbody with my acoustic line up as I'm not brave enough to go to the DB....yet!!

If it's just for the look, it's not worth the hassle. You could always DI to do away with an amp which would provide a definate advantage.

But when all's said and done, I'm convinced they're more hassle than they're worth.

My two penneth.

I will be using it with an amp. I will not be gigging without an amp as I know they are pretty much useless unless at home on your own.

I am more interested in how they work live through an amp. Probably my own fault for not saying this originally :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='1180300' date='Mar 29 2011, 12:13 AM']... So the only bass in the frame is a 5 string Rob Allen MB-2. Money is an issue so I've got to find a used one in good nick ...[/quote]
If you come across a 4-string fretless Rob Allen you dont want then let me know - but I think we'll both be lucky if that happens.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1181451' date='Mar 29 2011, 09:26 PM']I will be using it with an amp. I will not be gigging without an amp as I know they are pretty much useless unless at home on your own.

I am more interested in how they work live through an amp. Probably my own fault for not saying this originally :)[/quote]
Mine sounds great, Really big full sound and the tone pot is very simple compared to an EQ which I prefer. I just adjust the tone to suit the room usually straight into the PA. They do tend to feed back if you don't cover the sound hole with your hand between songs but other than that they are cool.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1181480' date='Mar 29 2011, 09:42 PM']They do tend to feed back if you don't cover the sound hole with your hand between songs but other than that they are cool.[/quote]

I used to have the same problem and was advised to buy a soundhole feedback suppressor.
Still get a feedback problem from time to time but nowhere near as bad as it was.