Why become a member? ×

Anyone here play and gig with an acoustic bass?

Linus27

I've gigged mine a couple of times and it sounded good. I couldn't understand why it had electric bass strings on it when I bought it, so they got swapped for bronze which was an improvement. I also bought a soundhole cover, a nice fret-cut wooden affair, this cuts the feedback and doesn't cut the volume too much if I'm playing it acoustically. You couldn't use it without an amp or PA though, even at the quietest folk club!

I've had mine for ages now (about 12 years) and it's seen a few gigs and loads of jams.
De-fretted and strung with black nylons it's lovely, such a different (read better) instrument now than it originally was with frets and bronze strings, although decent bronzes are nice to play.

I always roll the (passive) tone right off, quite a convincing DB impression.

I don't see it as gimmicky at all, it's a really useful instrument IMO. I've thought about buying a more expensive "better" one but then it'd never make it to beach parties and barbeques!

I occasionally use a fretless acoustic strung with TI flats and mic it. It sounds like a DB. I can't see the point of using an acoustic with on-board electrics, you might as well use an electric (my Precision does a woodier tone than a lot of acoustics, and a lot of acoustics I've played sound very harsh through the onboard electrics, and that includes some expensive ones)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1181530' date='Mar 29 2011, 10:12 PM']I occasionally use a fretless acoustic strung with TI flats and mic it. It sounds like a DB. I can't see the point of using an acoustic with on-board electrics, you might as well use an electric (my Precision does a woodier tone than a lot of acoustics, and a lot of acoustics I've played sound very harsh through the onboard electrics, and that includes some expensive ones)[/quote]
Mine and I presume a lot of others just have a mic inside that's all although I'm glad mine only has tone/volume pots rather than a fiddly EQ.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1181530' date='Mar 29 2011, 10:12 PM']I occasionally use a fretless acoustic strung with TI flats and mic it. It sounds like a DB. I can't see the point of using an acoustic with on-board electrics, you might as well use an electric (my Precision does a woodier tone than a lot of acoustics, and a lot of acoustics I've played sound very harsh through the onboard electrics, and that includes some expensive ones)[/quote]

Mine just has a cheap piezo with passive vol and tone, sounds excellent when cleanly amplified. Like i said i roll the tone completely off, very good DB sound with black nylons on. Definitely sounds different to any electric i own.

I prefer it to most of the ones with an active pre and all that gubbins, just sounds great as it is

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1180170' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:13 PM']On reflection acoustic punk wasn't the greatest idea ever.[/quote]
Matt Freeman is using the Fender King...thing for acoustic sets and it sounds great. I'm considering getting one of those...

[quote name='farmer61' post='1181410' date='Mar 29 2011, 08:59 PM']Personally I wouldn't bother.

Owned and sold two of them. Gigging wsa a challenge due to the size and while the tone was ok, you can do aswell with a normal bass or better with a DB. Im using a hollowbody with my acoustic line up as I'm not brave enough to go to the DB....yet!!

If it's just for the look, it's not worth the hassle. You could always DI to do away with an amp which would provide a definate advantage.

But when all's said and done, I'm convinced they're more hassle than they're worth.

My two penneth.[/quote]

I'd go with this too. Unless I *must*, I'd use an electric bass. Let them talk if they want to... unless it *really* is important aesthetically.
An electric bass with flats, especially something like the Rotosound Tru-bass nylon tapewounds will have a sound that will fit in really well. A P-bass in particular can sound quite double bassy, woody and mighty. Hmmm, and think that in fretless, yum :)

When I joined a band a couple of years ago (left after a few months and many gigs as I was risking ending up in jail for murder... but that's another thread :)) I was asked whether I had an acoustic bass as they were planning on playing a couple of acoustic gigs. I said no. It was suggested I buy one. I said no, and then I brought my Ibanez PJ strung with flats to our rehearsal and they really liked it. Especialy when I showed how it could sound by muting at the bridge as well if needed...

Acoustic bass guitars are bulkier, more fragile, need amplification anyway, you have to do something about the feedback issue, and it maynot play as nicely as your favourite electric bass that you probably spent some time looking for... and all that just so that you achieve a look? Then it must be really important to get that look... or it's a no goer for me.

I have one of the Ibanez exotic wood models strung with EB flats. It has a very flexible eq, a phase switch, and a built in DI which has come in handy a few times. I do find it hard to play on long sets as there is no forearm contour.

It's still an electric bass, just with different aesthetics. Up to you if you want to use one to fit the vibe.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1180180' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:18 PM']What is that Wayne it looks the same as my Ozark?
[attachment=75954:Ozark_bass.JPG]

And for the OP Yes I do and yes they are good for acoustic performances and yes you will need to plug it in though as the others have said.[/quote]

It was a Santa Ana, look very close to your one, I sold mine to get my Corvette.

I did a lot of gigs with my Ibanez AEB-10 straped with Fender Black Nylon Tapewounds. I didn´t use a amp but had a monitor in front of me. This was with two guitars and a drum kit and i felt very comfortable! Different from a electric bass but i think it sits better in a acoustic gig. Not just the look but also the mellower, almost DB tone works great in a acoustic gig.

No quality slapping though :)