Why become a member? ×

Tiny little rigs!

lemmywinks

After showing it at the SE bash on Saturday I finally got to use my new Mini-Rig at a local Jam last night. It rocks.

Ideal for a pub gig as it was more than loud enough with a drummer, and very punchy. Lots of favourable comments. :)

Here's my mini rig. Getting plenty of use and sounding great. Anybody looking for a cheap head would be wise to check out the Harley Benton (God, I hate that name !). It is more than capable of holding its own and suits the Midget very well. I intend to get some sound clips up soon, as I can't believe how versatile it is. I've never had an amp with so much tonal variation, despite owning SWR, Trace, Ashdown, Markbass, Tecamp and a ruck of old valve gear over the years.

The Midget is incredible and punches well above its weight. I've used this as my main rig for the past 3 months in pubs, clubs and barns without PA support and its been fine and sounds great to my ears. Been told to turn down a few times too.

Here's a few things I'm currently putting through it

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much the same as this:
http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/music/typeproducts.asp?groupID=6196

The Giraffe stands are ok, not bad for small rigs. You can get them to sit level too so they can be used for seperate heads and cabs. If i were putting more weight than my current rig on it then i'd want something with the locking system at both sides though.

Oh and what the bl00dy hell is that up there, a 4x10? Get it out, that's massive!

Aye mine never struggled, I just thought the single locking wheel on one side was such a design oversight. It means the weight isn't evenly distributed and one piece of metal takes the brunt of the pressure. I'd much rather have one on the other leg too, especially for the £40 they used to cost.

Still, one of the better stands you can get i reckon.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1318603772' post='1404260']
The Giraffe stands are ok, not bad for small rigs. You can get them to sit level too so they can be used for seperate heads and cabs. If i were putting more weight than my current rig on it then i'd want something with the locking system at both sides though.
[/quote]

So what's the weight of your current rig ?

• 1 month later...

Things are slipping in the mini rig thread since I last looked , whats that GK doing in here? Its like a fecking Ampeg 8x10! :)

To restore the balance a little I have actually made mine [i]even[/i] smaller! Just picked up a Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0 and because it does not have the valve drive section on the 6.0/9.0 its even smaller.

6.0 left in for comparison, Im not putting both into the 1x10 :)

[attachment=93340:3.0.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...

[sub]Here's my mini country rig, bought the cab from a guy who made it for a country band that fell through.[/sub]
[sub]It's a 350 watt 12" Eminence in a suede covered cab! with chicken wire! It was a bit rattly at volume when I got it, so I replaced the back with a more solid piece of wood with bass ports, and it now pumps out a great deal of bass at volume! (even with my Shuttle 6 through it)[/sub]
[sub]Crate amp 150 watts, tiny (and very versatile, stereo capabilities)[/sub]
[sub]£70 amp, £30 cab! Not bad for a very giggable set up.[/sub]
[sub][IMG]http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h327/uke2/IMG_1138.jpg[/IMG][/sub]
[sub][IMG]http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h327/uke2/IMG_1143.jpg[/IMG][/sub]

• 2 months later...

I was round a friends using a Tech21 SansAmp Pre-Amp > Electro Harmonix 22 Caliber Power Amp > Trace Elliot 4x12, although I would have loved to use it on my Warwick WCA 211 Pro. Such a nice tone, and stupidly loud considering! Which I had taken a picture now! Definitely thinking about investing in an Electro Harmonix 22 Caliber Power Amp though. Pocket sized, fantastic if you need a small rig to take to practise or a small gig and don't want to lug your rack around.