Why become a member? ×

Tiny little rigs!

lemmywinks

Here's mine, ok the cab is a big speaker but it's a small cab for the 15" driver (and it's in dire need of a re-fin coz the gaffa tape looks sh*t, haha!)

Amp is an amazing bit of kit, loud, punchy, loads of bottom end. Haven't used it with a band yet, mind, but it seems to have oodles of power for such a dinky thing.

What I *really* want to do is try the MB200 with my Vintage. Bet that will be fantastic :)

[quote name='TheRev' post='1188377' date='Apr 4 2011, 09:37 PM']I know that GK amp is teeny tiny, but it makes it look like you're using a cab with a 6 foot diameter speaker.[/quote]
Ha! Crazy, isn't it? I have a pic of it on a student's Eden N8 combo and even that dwarfs it!!

• 2 weeks later...

What sort of power does the Wizzy 10 handle? Or more importantly, what sort of volume does it kick out?
I love my little EA cab, it sounds excellent and gets loud enough, but i'd need to add another cab for a gig or really loud practice.

I'm GASsing for a Promethean combo or a Barefaced Midget but can't really justify the expense, gonna sell some things and see what sort of money i have to play with!

Must admit i really like the idea of the Wizzy backpack, could cycle to gigs!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1202144' date='Apr 16 2011, 09:06 PM']My updated mini powerhouse...

EA Micro 550 & EA Wizzy 10. Sounds lush!!

Pic of just how small it is in context to my gear in 'bass corner' -

[/quote]
You appear to of set up in my bass corner there Shep if you look back through this thread at my pic but I have gone for the chrome socket option :)

Hey guys,

The Wizzy 10 is rated at 250w @ 4ohms. I started a thread a few days back in the Amp section with concerns of running the 550w Micro head with a cab only rated at 250w. The general consensus was that it should be fine as long as you don't thrash it. The boys at Euphonic Audio also seconded the notion and actually suggested that the pairing is a match made in heaven.

I have to say I'm impressed. The volume output is pretty damn loud even through that baby cab and it's super tough in construction. I love the Wizzy.

Pete - I was hoping you'd not notice that I'd moved in :)

[attachment=77653:mini_rig.JPG]

Here's my mini-rig. Although with the 4u rack, it's not quite as mini as it could be.

The 4u contains my EBS HD-350 with my tuner and Sennheiser wireless. The cab is a 4 Ohm Zoot 112NT.

Love the cab and sounds great but to be honest, I've never used it live, only at rehearsal. Need to take the leap of faith and go for it at a gig.

Thought about getting a second 112NT at some point. Perhaps the extra volume from the second cab would allow me to gig with it.

T

[quote name='tonyf' post='1202200' date='Apr 16 2011, 10:26 PM'][attachment=77653:mini_rig.JPG]

Here's my mini-rig. Although with the 4u rack, it's not quite as mini as it could be.

The 4u contains my EBS HD-350 with my tuner and Sennheiser wireless. The cab is a 4 Ohm Zoot 112NT.

Love the cab and sounds great but to be honest, I've never used it live, only at rehearsal. Need to take the leap of faith and go for it at a gig.

Thought about getting a second 112NT at some point. Perhaps the extra volume from the second cab would allow me to gig with it.

T[/quote]

Ha, that looks huge! I bet the flight case weighs a ton! :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1202228' date='Apr 16 2011, 11:15 PM']Ha, that looks huge! I bet the flight case weighs a ton! :)[/quote]

It's not that heavy, it's portable and most importantly, is bullet proof protection for the gear.

I've got an 2u that I could use if I wanted lighter as I don't really NEED the wireless and tuner when going "au-natural". However, it's convenience. All the cables and speaker leads pack away into the back. Makes the setup and pack down pretty simple.

Really want a second Zoot cab though.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1204868' date='Apr 19 2011, 03:25 PM']Dont have the midget anymore, but this was a stunning little set up:
[/quote]

Wow!
That looks amazing!

Cracking little mini rig of doom! :)

Eude

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1204868' date='Apr 19 2011, 03:25 PM']Dont have the midget anymore, but this was a stunning little set up:[/quote]

I really want to try a Midget, i'm just a bit scared i'll end up ordering one!

I'm in the process of selling off some stuff so i'm gonna see how much i have to play with and whether i can add anything to it, a BF Midget or a Promethean is the aim i think.

Seeing as you've had both, i assume the Midget is the loudest and most able to stand up to a drummer?

Oh yeah!! The midget is very loud indeed. I was gutted that every single piece of promethean kit I had (two combos and two ext cabs) had issues, but I still plan on trying the 1x10 cab 'just one more time' in the future. The midget is an amazing tool, just not my sound, but typically since selling I've had need for one a good few times!! Sods law eh!

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1205399' date='Apr 20 2011, 12:01 AM']Oh yeah!! The midget is very loud indeed. I was gutted that every single piece of promethean kit I had (two combos and two ext cabs) had issues, but I still plan on trying the 1x10 cab 'just one more time' in the future. The midget is an amazing tool, just not my sound, but typically since selling I've had need for one a good few times!! Sods law eh![/quote]

You had issues with the second lot of Promethean kit too?
Man that's a real shame, mine has been completely stable (touch wood), seriously considering getting the extension cab for it too.

How would you compare the sound of the Midget to the Promethean by the way?...

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1206845' date='Apr 21 2011, 10:50 AM']You had issues with the second lot of Promethean kit too?
Man that's a real shame, mine has been completely stable (touch wood), seriously considering getting the extension cab for it too.

How would you compare the sound of the Midget to the Promethean by the way?...

Eude[/quote]

Yeah second lot too:-( and an ext cab I later bought separately :) To me the promethean sound more scooped and hi -fi and refined than the midget which was very snarly, bitey,woody mid bark type sounding, if that makes any sense?!:0)

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1207075' date='Apr 21 2011, 01:54 PM']Yeah second lot too:-( and an ext cab I later bought separately :) To me the promethean sound more scooped and hi -fi and refined than the midget which was very snarly, bitey,woody mid bark type sounding, if that makes any sense?!:0)[/quote]

That's annoying, I've heard of a couple of dodgy efforts, but 2 in t a row is rubbish!
I get what you mean about the Midget vs the Promethean, from what Alex has told me the Midget sounds anything but :)

Eude

[quote name='Merton' post='1188284' date='Apr 4 2011, 08:28 PM']Here's mine, ok the cab is a big speaker but it's a small cab for the 15" driver (and it's in dire need of a re-fin coz the gaffa tape looks sh*t, haha!)

Amp is an amazing bit of kit, loud, punchy, loads of bottom end. Haven't used it with a band yet, mind, but it seems to have oodles of power for such a dinky thing.

What I *really* want to do is try the MB200 with my Vintage. Bet that will be fantastic :)[/quote]

Those G&K MB200 amps look super cool . How do they sound ?
I am thinking of pairing one with my Epifani 110 cab

hey everyone - interesting thread!
I'm on a quest myself for a mini rig. something small and portable and really reaLLY LOUD!!!
something that wont break the bank too - if that's at all possible.

I had an Ashdown Superfly which boasted 500 watts (2x250 into 4ohms)
small - noisy - and far from the volume expected from 500 watts. Never loud enough for a proper gig.

My present rig is a Peavey 2x10 rated at 300 watts with a Peavey 250watt MKIII amp I bought new back in the 80's.

its f'cking loud and beautiful, and I've yet to find anything old or modern that has the same rating that can match the quality of sound or volume.
Having said that, the amp is almost as big as the cab, and as heavy....hahaha!....shame that!!

reviews tell me the the little giant range, like the Superfly don't really cut it, and from what I can tell, the Markbass needs a mortgage to be able to buy one. Are they that good??

what else is out there?? I have to know!!
Anyone got a list of recommended mini stuff?
After the Ashdown Superfly experience I'm gonna be very cynical .

(BTW, Peavey's are not popular, as, for instance the old Trace gear, but it blows it out of the water - I recommend the USA made Peavey stuff if weight isn't an issue - they are insanely cheap on the S/H market. Had mine serviced only once during its 30 years, and its still blasting it out - wish I could find a mini version of it!!)

[quote name='Chris Horton' post='1207658' date='Apr 21 2011, 10:50 PM']Those G&K MB200 amps look super cool . How do they sound ?
I am thinking of pairing one with my Epifani 110 cab[/quote]
Surprisingly loud and very clear, tight sound. Reminds me of earlier TE gear set flat but with tonnes more bottom end. Love it :)

Cab now having it's refurb, should be finished this weekend :)