Why become a member? ×

Feeling Threatened?

Apologies for being mean, but some things deserve a little ridicule, I've stopped laughing at trust rods, but I would like a threat board...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/alvarez-short-threat-board-acoustic-bass-guitar-/320673214850?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4aa99cf182#ht_500wt_935"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/alvarez-short-threat...82#ht_500wt_935[/url]

Just when you think you've seen the lot - fretts, frettles, knecks, knuts, turners, humbuggers (that's right, [i]humbuggers[/i]) - just goes to show there will always be new ways to creatively mutilate the language.

Who would of thought it?

:)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1176096' date='Mar 25 2011, 04:11 PM']Just when you think you've seen the lot - fretts, frettles, knecks, knuts, turners, humbuggers (that's right, [i]humbuggers[/i]) - just goes to show there will always be new ways to creatively mutilate the language.

Who would of thought it?

Jon.[/quote]

"Who would [b]HAVE[/b] thought it?"

I'll give you "mutilate the language"!

A small threat board? No good to me, I like LARGE threat boards! My basses have things like " I'm a punch you in the throat and shank ya!" engraved between the frets. I wouldn't play a bass that didn't have the threat of physical violence (or similar) somewhere on it.

I'll stop now. :)

[quote name='paul_5' post='1176840' date='Mar 26 2011, 06:56 AM']A small threat board? No good to me, I like LARGE threat boards! My basses have things like " I'm a punch you in the throat and shank ya!" engraved between the frets. I wouldn't play a bass that didn't have the threat of physical violence (or similar) somewhere on it.

I'll stop now. :)[/quote]

Dratttttt you beat me to it :)

Just imagine going to a gig and the bass player only has a small threat of violence.

How disappointing.......

[quote name='Mr H' post='1177085' date='Mar 26 2011, 11:53 AM']D'oh!

I need a bit more time here, don't I? Apologies.[/quote]
No apology necessary! FWIW that particular grammatical cock-up is top of my personal red-mist list, and when eventually it becomes the accepted way of expressing this particular phrase (as it inevitably will) I'll pick up my chainsaw, don my easy-wipe goggles & go out and kill, indiscriminately & relentlessly.

That'll make it better. :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1177107' date='Mar 26 2011, 12:07 PM']No apology necessary! FWIW that particular grammatical cock-up is top of my personal red-mist list, and when eventually it becomes the accepted way of expressing this particular phrase (as it inevitably will) I'll pick up my chainsaw, don my easy-wipe goggles & go out and kill, indiscriminately & relentlessly.

That'll make it better. :)

J.[/quote]
It 's the whole bought/brought thing with me. I can help switching off to people that do it.
It's just plain ig'nant.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1177174' date='Mar 26 2011, 01:09 PM']It 's the whole bought/brought thing with me. I can help switching off to people that do it.
It's just plain ig'nant.[/quote]
I encountered a new one (to me, at least) yesterday on a different forum - various different people in the thread referring to unemployment as "on the doll". Anyone else seen this?

I'm convinced in 20 years' time written/typed English will be 90% phonetic. Or rather, fanetik.

J.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1177359' date='Mar 26 2011, 04:01 PM']Never on the Doll, just on the Dole or as it is over here the Brew.[/quote]
"Doll" is plainly a phoneticisation of dole, I just found it bizarre that so many people had either never seen it spelled correctly or never given a moment's thought to what the phrase actually meant.

It gets called the brew in Scotland as well, think it's mostly a west coast thing here.

J.

[quote name='dougie' post='1177608' date='Mar 26 2011, 08:24 PM']useless ifo,stems from the doles old name"the beurau of employment".....i know that berau is misspelled but tired n last thing i can be arsed looking at is some smartarse spell check.[/quote]
Makes sense - I've seen it written as "the burroo". Always wondered where that came from, cheers D.

J.