Why become a member? ×

Feeling Threatened?

[quote name='uke' post='1179013' date='Mar 28 2011, 12:01 AM']My favourite is "Relicing"! A word that many feel exists, if it did wouldn't it mean replacing Lice? :)[/quote]
I do wish this would go away - despite not existing it's impossible to express in any kind of semantically appropriate way; random apostrophes & hyphens don't make it read any better. Besides, it's completely redundant as the English language furnishes us with so many useful words & phrases which perfectly encapsulate the end result of this process: ruining, wrecking, f@cking up, making a total dog's arse of, destroying, cocking up, trashing, buggering up... So much choice - so little imagination. :)

J.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1177775' date='Mar 27 2011, 12:29 AM']Good Lord, imagine the shame of buying a bass from someone with poor spelling. :)[/quote]
It means you get to find out where they live, so you can put them out of everybody else's misery. Innit.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1177475' date='Mar 26 2011, 07:21 PM']...It gets called the brew in Scotland as well, think it's mostly a west coast thing here...[/quote]
We've goat ra brew oan ra east coast ana. :P
(although we don't say "ra" we say "i" as in tw[b]i[/b]t)

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1177775' date='Mar 27 2011, 12:29 AM']Good Lord, imagine the shame of buying a bass from someone with poor spelling. :lol:[/quote]
I have pretty bad dyslexia but I try and make sure that what I am saying is at least intelligible and spell-checked - partly out of politeness and also to convey my character as someone who puts in a bit of effort. My first drafts look like a stoned 5 year old typed them up but you'd never really know it. If I were considering buying a bass off a guy and they used "fik" language or who couldn't be bothered to at least spell-check I'd be thinking "What else can't they be bothered to do?" (like looking after a bass properly) and I might think twice about the deal.

[quote name='uke' post='1179013' date='Mar 28 2011, 12:01 AM']My favourite is "Relicing"! A word that many feel exists, if it did wouldn't it mean replacing Lice? :)[/quote]
But it does exist. "Relic" has now become a verb, therefore the act of creating a relic (something that previously would have been considered an oxymoron) is "relicing". The past tense gives me more trouble "reliced" (the application of lice to a person who had them before) often I go for relic'd. :lol:

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1179026' date='Mar 28 2011, 12:44 AM']I do wish this would go away - despite not existing it's impossible to express in any kind of semantically appropriate way; random apostrophes & hyphens don't make it read any better. Besides, it's completely redundant as the English language furnishes us with so many useful words & phrases which perfectly encapsulate the end result of this process: ruining, wrecking, f@cking up, making a total dog's arse of, destroying, cocking up, trashing, buggering up... So much choice - so little imagination. :)

J.[/quote]
:D

[quote name='ras52' post='1180161' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:10 PM']Re. licing, oops, I mean re. re-licing, surely the correct spelling would be RELICKING - c.f. panic => panicking, etc.[/quote]
Correct in principle, I'd think - but this would engender considerable confusion should something (for example the avatar lady being discussed above), having been licked, require subsequent - indeed repeated - licking. As would very likely be the case. :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1180262' date='Mar 28 2011, 11:35 PM']Correct in principle, I'd think - but this would engender considerable confusion should something (for example the avatar lady being discussed above), having been licked, require subsequent - indeed repeated - licking. As would very likely be the case. :)

J.[/quote]
Hm, well there's relicking and re-licking. They're easily distinguishable, as one involves rubbing wood and removing layers, whereas the other... oh, hang on....