Why become a member? ×

Even pay split between function band members

harvey1-8

[quote name='farmer61' post='1173239' date='Mar 23 2011, 01:20 PM']Even split, or you'll spend more time discussing who does what and what it's worth. IMO[/quote]

+100!!!

it gets complicated and ugly otherwise.

Unless the main purpose is to make money, in which case draw contracts.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1173456' date='Mar 23 2011, 04:02 PM']We do it like this.

The person that gets the gig gets a commission from the others. This isn't a percentage but works like this:

Gigs between £250 - £500 - £5 from each member
Gigs between £501 - £999 - £10 from each member
Gigs between £1000+ gets £15 from each member

Typically we are a 4 piece sometimes 5.

So say we were a 4 piece getting £400. We all 4 get £100 and then pay £5 from that £100 to the gig getter. Seems to work so far.

If there is anything left it goes into the slush fund towards our originals project.[/quote]

Sounds fair to me, might even be worth a bit more tbh when you consider the effort involved sometimes.

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1173674' date='Mar 23 2011, 06:58 PM']Sounds fair to me, might even be worth a bit more tbh when you consider the effort involved sometimes.[/quote]
Its about the fairest way we could think of. If you factor in that we get a lot of repeat bookings there are many occassions when the hustling only has to happen once and the commission keeps coming for each gig so the effort becomes minimal. It gives incentive and doesn't take too much out of the pot for everyone else. Works for us.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1173717' date='Mar 23 2011, 07:28 PM']Its about the fairest way we could think of. If you factor in that we get a lot of repeat bookings there are many occassions when the hustling only has to happen once and the commission keeps coming for each gig so the effort becomes minimal. It gives incentive and doesn't take too much out of the pot for everyone else. Works for us.[/quote]

The biggest downside is that it may make every member hustle for gigs,and could lead to potential diary clashes.
I think it's much better to let one guy be in charge of the diary.

With us the organisor gets extra. It's not just the time spent emailing / phoning people, but you're also the public face of the band and end up doing all the liaison with clients on the day. You're the guy in the firing line if it's too loud for Auntie Hilda etc etc. It adds stress to the event that your band mates are oblivious to.

After the incentive is set to earn extra money most band members will, by my experience, still not bother their arse to organise anything.

Do keep it simple though - once you get into 'but I've got to drive 10 miles further to get there', or 'I have to buy guitar strings' type stuff you're on a road to nowhere.

We split monies evenly, apart from 1 venue which we have a regular slot as its a 2 hour drive each way. so I get an extra cut, which the others actually proposed as I cart the PA and the guitarists gear in my van.

As for who does what....
Singer normally gets the bookings, not all of them, but the majority.
Guitarist looks after the PA and keeps it all working and also does the website.
Myself, I do all the setlists and cart all the gear around
and the drummer, well, he treks more miles than anyone else to practice and gigs so he isn't asked to do anything else.

The drummer, guitarist and myself all set up the PA and light rigs etc and the singer plays games on her phone while we set up!

And my missus comes to most gigs and takes pictures and videos for the bands website/facebook page etc.

I'm setting up a new band at the minute and am pondering exactly this question.

I know of one band who operate a 10% finders fee. Whoever brings in the gig gets 10% and then the rest is split evenly amongst all members. Seriously considering this.

Workload split in my band is like this:

I book 99% of gigs
I own PA
I produce paperwork and posters
I set up / pack down PA (singer pretty good at helping out)
I sort set lists
I arrange practice venue
I record and mix demos
I liase with venues / customers
I make stage backdrop etc
I own lights
I set up / pack down lights
I play bass
Singer sings
Drummer drums
Drummer complains "drum sticks aint cheap y'know"
Guitarist drinks and plays guitar

Cash gets split evenly...............................................hmmmmm time for a chat methnks!

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1174001' date='Mar 23 2011, 10:29 PM']Workload split in my band is like this:

I book 99% of gigs
I own PA
I produce paperwork and posters
I set up / pack down PA (singer pretty good at helping out)
I sort set lists
I arrange practice venue
I record and mix demos
I liase with venues / customers
I make stage backdrop etc
I own lights
I set up / pack down lights
I play bass
Singer sings
Drummer drums
Drummer complains "drum sticks aint cheap y'know"
Guitarist drinks and plays guitar

Cash gets split evenly...............................................hmmmmm time for a chat methnks![/quote]

Im thinking your chat is long overdue!!

There are seven of us in my band and we split the money into eight even shares. The eighth share covers running expenses like the website, CDs, rehearsal room hire, that sort of thing. Some people are more involved with running the band than others but, as others have already said, it's not worth arguing over whether someone should get more money than someone else.

Definitely a can of worms. If you are not in it for the money then keep it simple and an equal split, after fuel for the driver(s) and other costs, although with the cost of fuel now there's not going to be much left.

In our band our drummer takes the odd £5 or £10 extra as he owns the PA and van.

Thanks for all the info ladies and gents. I have proposed a couple of the methods mentioned.

I'm hoping that this will all stay the same, with everyone taking an even split and everyone pulling their weight (as I believe we all do already). This sort of thing really shouldn't be an issue with this band, I don't know why it's been brought up.

even split usually with what i do

however sometimes, its even split after expenses, but these are general cabs/vans/bits and bobs etc, rather than websites or "organizing"

whatever though, if this is bugging you, you best deal with, otherwise it will grow into a much bigger issue

In my bands, we tend to split the money evenly after expenses. All expenses that apply to the whole band are taken from profit, e.g. PAT testing, van rental when we play far away, etc.

Having said that, everyone in the band does their share of work, so there are no feelings of "I'm doing more than he does." (As far as I know.)

Also, nearly all of our gigs are through agents so we all know what the gross profit is, the agent's cut, the expenses.

One thing we do that we find works well for us is that when we play more than an hour away, we meet somewhere and travel in two vehicles (rather than five) and collectively pay for petrol.

- martin

Don't underestimate the main two stresses.

1. Owning/settingup and running the PA. Especially when the diva singer can't hear herself because the drummer is too loud.
2. Doing the customer liaison bit, facing the band when the gig turns out to be in the worst venue in the world.

The rest is just every day stuff that all bands do - many of us forget that we volunteered to do the website/book the studio/sort the setlist/buy a van etc mainly because no one else will do it. Once you bring up those reasons someone will chip in "but we never asked you to do it." ,"My mate does web sites and he says ours is s**t." or "my mates got a better van". Everyone knows that the "mates" won't do anything for free or will always be too busy but that's beside the point. So be careful when you argue those points.

I had the discussion purely in the PA basis as I've been taken for granted in the many bands I've been in. "Tim's got a PA we'll use his." the first time the PA fails or you're late you get loads of flack even if you're providing it and your extra time free. You'll also be doing spares and repairs for free. While the rest of the band are tucked up in bed you're still loading the gear back into your lockup etc at 3am. A charge for hire well below the going rate is usually accepted.

If you book a duff gig you get flack from the band as well. I've booked some really good sounding gigs that have ended up being in very rough areas. The drummer then spends an hour moaning about how he thinks his car was going to get nicked/torched. Agents take a 15% cut so 10% seems more than acceptable, but they must be willing to do all the prganisation up to arrival at the gig when the band leader should take over. 10% just for an introduction seems a bit out of order.

Edited by TimR

I have a real affinity with what TimR says all through this thread.

I own the PA and lights and van. The wife runs the band gets bookings etc works out sets organises everything.

After twenty one years together with various line ups where we used to split the gig evenly and pool any odd amount to cover consumables, Gaffer light bulbs practise hall fees. We parted with our guitarist who was letting us down and generally pissing us off, and got in a guy who is pro. And provides pro deps, when he can’t make it. He has produced a pad with all our numbers written out for such events.
We pay him £150 minimum he is worth more, I am now probably the worse paid but have never been happier on Gigs, and in the present gig climate we take the hit. If we want to be out.

What this comes down to is setting out from the start how things will be. And everyone must know, no hidden agreements, I feel I should get more but in this current arrangement I accept it.

A band I knew use to split the money as if there was an extra player and that went to the guy owning and lugging the PA etc.

Definitely dont underestimate the hassle of dealing with the punters. If its a wedding (and most of the functions I've done over the last 10 years or so have been weddings) then there can be months of dialogue, negotiation, reassurance and schmoozing. Some people are happy to let you do what you do, but most aren't - particularly the parents of the happy couple. And some brides can be control freaks from hell. Everyone seems to know best and the fact that you have done hundreds of weddings and know what works often doesn't cut any ice. And from the punters perspective why not? Its their big day and their money.

I've always preferred the arrangement of being a hired hand. I turn up at the alloted time (after the PA, lights and drummer), set my gear up, do the gig, pack my gear up, take my wage and I'm usually home with a beer before the PA has been torn down. Happy days.

Even all the way for me, some of the bands I have played with have already got all the gear so it's theirs to keep but repair costs are taken from the band money which is fair enough.
I have played in bands where I haven't even contributed to rehearsal room costs as they had begged me to play with them, I don't know why because I'm a terrible bassist :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1177846' date='Mar 27 2011, 02:51 AM']:lol: :) :) :D[/quote]
It's a long story Ian but basically it was a bunch of guys who all lived near each other and I had to travel 45 mins each way to the practice place. I was meant to be just filling in for the bass player as he was ill but once he thankfully got better they wanted me to stay anyway, most of the gigs were charity ones too once we re arranged the band (few member changes) and I agreed to join obviously I paid my share and took my share as required :P

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1177938' date='Mar 27 2011, 08:03 AM']It's a long story Ian but basically it was a bunch of guys who all lived near each other and I had to travel 45 mins each way to the practice place. I was meant to be just filling in for the bass player as he was ill but once he thankfully got better they wanted me to stay anyway, most of the gigs were charity ones too once we re arranged the band (few member changes) and I agreed to join obviously I paid my share and took my share as required :)[/quote]

I temporarily replaced the female bass player in my covers band while she 'sorted her life out'.
Five years later and I'm still here.

They reckon I'm a far better musician but my arse doesn't look as good... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1178257' date='Mar 27 2011, 01:37 PM']I temporarily replaced the female bass player in my covers band while she 'sorted her life out'.
Five years later and I'm still here.

They reckon I'm a far better musician but my arse doesn't look as good... :)[/quote]
Which is more important? Actually don't answer that :)