Why become a member? ×

Even pay split between function band members

harvey1-8

I'm in charge of all the bookings for our band. I don't trust those other monkeys to do a good job and wouldn't want all of us talking to different venues about dates in case of double bookings. I also do the accounting and tax as that's my dayjob so it's easy for me to do.
The singer is in charge of the songs we learn and making setlists for each gig (he knows a lot more of what the Kids Today are listening to). He also handles the Facebook, Myspace, all that shenanigans.
Guitarist and drummer both have wives and kids so it's understood that they have less time to put in than singer and me. They've also both got bigger houses and cars so they store and move more of the kit.

We take even splits of all income and are responsible for our own petrol and gear maintenance. It's worked perfectly so far and we've never had an arguement about it.

Currently I'm supplying PA (vocal for the two covers bands which also serves for instrument duties for the ceilidh band). As I want a PA for other purposes (acoustic duetting with Mrs Zero), I don't mind that. Covers bands both use all members to try to get bookings. Ceilidh band has enquiries mainly through the website, which come to me and Mrs Zero, and Mrs Zero (who is also the caller for the band) handles the bookings. Money in all the bands is split evenly. Costs for recording etc are also spread evenly.

If everyone in the band is pro-active in some way then keep it as an even split but if someone is doing all the legwork in chasing up every gig then there is a case for them getting a little more wedge.
Problems begin if someone is sat on their arse, happy to wait for the gigs to come in and take the same cut as the fixers and chasers.

[quote name='chardbass' post='1179016' date='Mar 28 2011, 12:24 AM']If everyone in the band is pro-active in some way then keep it as an even split but if someone is doing all the legwork in chasing up every gig then there is a case for them getting a little more wedge.
Problems begin if someone is sat on their arse, happy to wait for the gigs to come in and take the same cut as the fixers and chasers.[/quote]

I don't mind if people sit on their arse waiting. It's when they start to complain about what you are doing essentially for free that it starts to gind.

I haven't read through the whole thread yet, so sorry if I'm repeating anyone else's post, but if the issue is how much effort people are/aren't putting in then why don't you address that instead of the financial situation? It's easier to split cash evenly in every situation, so if you're doing the web, etc and someone else isn't pulling weight, why not look at what they can do or how you can shift some responsibilities to even it out and make the whole deal fair?